• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thoughts on the upcoming season?

Mumorn

Vic Buckingham
What are your thoughts?

Me? I'm a little worried for our start.

Goalkeeping we have down fine, we have an outstanding goalkeeper in Lloris and solid depth in Gomes and Friedel. We have no injuries on that front and I do feel in Lloris we have one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, one who could be our goalkeeper for years and years to come.

Defence is a bit of an issue for me. Walker is pretty much nailed on at right back and Naughton is solid depth but centre half is a real problem. There still hasn't been ANY news on Kaboul since the Swindon game, no news from him or the Spurs website, the same with Dawson, all I've heard with him is that he hurt his leg and that was from Les fudging Ferdinand on ITV4 before the Monaco game. Hopefully Vertonghen will be back soon, I think Fryers alongside him may be acceptable. It looks like Ekotto isn't favourited by AVB and I haven't seen him feature in any pre-season game at all, where is he? why no news, is he injured or what?

We move to midfield, still no news on how long Sandro will be out for, hasn't featured in pre-season and will probably miss out the first few games of the season. Dembele is finally getting games so that's good. We still have yet to see Paulinho and we still don't know how he will fair, I hope he plays well against Espanyol and I can't wait to see what him and Dembele can conjur up together in midfield.

The whole Bale situation has dragged too. If we're going to drag this out only for us to sell him then it's pathetic. Disrupts our season with all this flimflam talk and have us scrounging around for a replacement until the end of the transfer window which would be a joke again, hopefully it's settled befor the Espanyol game and we hear some actual words from him for once.

The fudges going on with wide midfield too? Lennon has looked pants all pre-season and what exactly is our goal on the left? Chadli didn't exactly impress against Monaco (although its his first game with new players who arent exactly good), Sigurdsson is hardly the guy to play there, we got rid of Dempsey and we still need someone there in my view, wouldn't even mind Townsend there if we keep Bale.

I hope Soldado can hit the ground running or we could have a tough start. Adebayor has been missing for personal reasons but I actually thought he looked good against Sunderland, I still don't think Soldado will turn out as good as Adebayor 11/12 but I wouldn't mind both competing for a spot up top. Hopefully Defoe is still about too, those three would be a great selection to have in my view.

Saying that though our team could line up similar to this agaisnt Palace:

............................Lloris............................
Walker.........??................Fryers..........Rose
............................Parker............................
..................Dembele......Paulinho................
Townsend.........................................Chadli
..............................Soldado.........................

Though knowing AVB he probably won't even start with Soldado. He doesn't tend to start new signings, I still remember him leaving Vertonghen on the bench at St.James Park, remember him leaving Dembele on the bench against Norwich as well as leaving Loris benched numerous times too. So we may even start with Defoe or Adebayor against Palace.

In fact I'd be surprised if Townsend starts too. I just get the feeling AVB doesn't rate him too highly.

What's keeping me happy though and positive is that if we do get the Bale situation sorted and he ends up staying and we can get players fit and running again, our potential line up could be this for the season:

................................Lloris..................................
Walker.......Kaboul...........Vertonghen.......Ekotto
..............................Sandro...................................
................Dembele.............Paulinho.....................
Bale.............................................................Chadli
..............................Soldado.................................

Bench: Friedel, Dawson, Naughton, Parker, Townsend, Carroll, Adebayor

and that is a pretty damn good team. Keep that fit and you have a team competing for top four next season and maybe even some trophies. Still no idea who would play on the left, Chadli seems the best bet but it could even be Bale with Townsend/Lennon on the other side and both just interchanging.

Was about to start a similar thread. Thanks for beating me to it.

I have to say I'm worried that the weaknesses in our defence and defensive systems will get exposed this year. Sandro is still not back and we still seem to concede very easily from set-pieces. It was bad enough when Verts and Dawson were both playing. How bad can it get when they're not?? Even with his weaknesses Caulker would be the type of player that would more than likely have been able to play and deal with those teams that often employed 'Stoke-type' tactics.
Am hoping the club can bring in a CB that can handle the PL in this regard and hot the ground running.

We are probably also missing that creative spark midfielder or that kind of midfielder that can dictate tempo and recycle possession for us, especially the type that can help relieve pressure on our defence by keeping the ball under pressure or in tight spaces. I hope Paulinho may help a little in that regard.

However, up front the signing of Soldado and Chadli have been superb and would have got me even more buzzing of not for the whole Bale-Madrid saga.

I like that team but where's Holtby, Defoe and Lennon in your squad??

I like the look of:

Team: Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Dembele, Holtby, Paulinho, Bale, Soldado
Subs: Friedel, New CB, Parker, Defoe, Adebayor, Chadli, Sigurdsson
Reserves: Gomes, Naughton, Rose, Fryers, Townsend, Livermore, Huddlestone, Carroll, Coulthirst, Ceballos, Kane

I'm not including Kaboul or Sandro because, let's be honest, I can't see either of them being back before October...

Shows you how much I care for the new season when I forgot Holtby was even a Spurs player. I haven't seen him in any pre-season photos or included in any pre-season games so I've completely forgot about him. I think Adebayor adds more to the team so he gets on the bench ahead of Defoe and in my view Townsend adds more to our side than Lennon does and probably deserves to be on the bench ahead of him.

I agree re Holtby. He's the forgotten man for most Spurs fans... after just 6 months.

I imagine it would have been different had Sandro not got injured. Holtby wouldn't have joined up until this summer where he would have been a new guy, trying to impress and getting a real full pre-season under his belt.

Shows you how much I care for the new season when I forgot Holtby was even a Spurs player. I haven't seen him in any pre-season photos or included in any pre-season games so I've completely forgot about him. I think Adebayor adds more to the team so he gets on the bench ahead of Defoe and in my view Townsend adds more to our side than Lennon does and probably deserves to be on the bench ahead of him.

Eh??? What are you basing that on? I'm looking forward to seeing what Townsend can add to us this year but I don't think he can hold Walker's hand like Lennon has to tbf

Eh??? What are you basing that on? I'm looking forward to seeing what Townsend can add to us this year but I don't think he can hold Walker's hand like Lennon has to tbf

I've been Lennons biggest backer on here in recent years but Townsend just adds a threat. Lennon is usually quiet in games, his defensive work should NEVER EVER be underestimated though, but he just tends to drift through games doing fudge all. Townsend seems to be a constant threat and looking to always improve his game.

I've been Lennons biggest backer on here in recent years but Townsend just adds a threat. Lennon is usually quiet in games, his defensive work should NEVER EVER be underestimated though, but he just tends to drift through games doing fudge all. Townsend seems to be a constant threat and looking to always improve his game.

hmmm, I suspect that Lennon would be more involved if we a) had a creative CM who could spot his runs early b) he didn't have a RB with such poor decision making that he held back on going forwards to close the gap behind as it were.

I suspect that if we played Townsend there whilst he might want actively seek to get more involved in our attacks etc, we would be more picked off on the break down our right side by the good ides

I was until this week, full of optimism for the new season. But the shenanigans with Real Madrid over Bale look to me like it is causing a 3rd summer in a row of destabilisation. You just know it is going to rumble on and on with every press conference dominated by it, every pre and post match interview. It really shouldnt be a factor but I have no doubt it will have some effect on the squad. Coupled with the departures of Caulker and Dempsey which is going to have an effect on our overall depth and I am a bit more sceptical.

From a playing point of view, Defensively we obviously look in a fair bit of trouble. Dawson and Vertonghen both injured with Kaboul hardly playing in pre season due to his comeback from a year out. Assou-Ekotto hasn't had any game time as far I can remember? Even signing a CB or two won't solve the problem fully although it will give us numbers, the said players won't have spent any time with us before Palace.

It's difficult to really predict how we go until we get into the game on the 18th. A good result given the circus surrounding us could be a catalyst for a very strong first 6-8 games. However, a negative performance and result from the opener and I can see us being low on points come the end of September with our confidence having taken a bashing and no doubt numerous changes to the playing staff as well.

I think aside from the Bale issue, we have the best squad that we have had in a long time. Granted we could do with another centre back but throughout the squad are talented, young players being managed by a tactically astute, popular, passionate AvB. We've also shown over the last few seasons that we are there or there abouts in terms of being a top four team. On our day we will beat anybody and as a rule we should dominate teams at home.

Keep Bale and I think we'll be a top four team. Lose him and it depends on our last minute shopping ability.

Hopes were raised with the Paulinho signing, and we seem at last to have properly addressed the striker issue, but as always with Spurs, the caveats soon follow, and all of a sudden, we seem to be in danger of losing our best player and, on top of that, we're somehow short of depth again in key areas. Always missing pieces; ever the Curate's Egg.

I am trying to be optimistic but there are so many unanswered questions at the moment and I worry that the whole distraction of the Bale saga is going to have a negative effect for our first three games. Once the window shuts things should settle down even if we have a grumpy and disappointed Bale still on our squad roster.

I would say a good return from the first three games would be 7 points out of 9 - Palace who are probably the weakest squad in the league we should be looking to beat fairly comfortably...a defeat would immediately set the gloom in...its followed by a tremendously difficult home match against the swans who with the extra el games will probably be sharper than us and they don't have a transfer saga/defensive crisis hanging over them like we do.......a really difficult game is matchday 2 the other night they looked so impressive....would hope for a win but I am very worried.....followed by the NLD a point would be a good result and well received after consecutive 5 - 2 pastings.

I could bore you all to tears with my concerns at the moment......I can quite easily see us having a disastrous start in our first three games. Im clinging onto the hope that AVB is trying not to give to much away in pre-season so we go out on the 18th 4-3-3 and blow palace out of the water with Soldado (pending worlds longest medical) getting his debut goals.

The whole Bale thing has taken the gloss off the new season for me and im worried it will be a ready made excuse for a poor showing vs Palace... so the questions......

wtf is going on with Benny? injuries/fitness of Dawson/Kaboul/Verts?will we sign a cb in time for the Palace game? will Sandro be ready soon/timescale?????wtf is going on with Holtby???will Parker or Hudd be sold or both?? Carrol on loan???? is Paulinho ready to go???? are defoe & ade staying or going? and more importantly and biggest of all....are we going to sell Mr Bale?????

So yeah im hoping in training sessions AVB is working on shape vs Palace and im papping myself as to what the answers will be to above questions................. nervous & excited about the new season just Boom shaka laka some Bale clarification soon rather than rumbling on all transfer window as it inevitably will.

I expect much doom&gloom, knee jerking and general negative bs, but we'll be fighting for top 4 come May.

My target: Improve on last season's points tally and a EL semi final.

I hope we are prepared, with or without Bale. I have confidence in AVB's preparation, just not that the huge holes in defence will be plugged by the first game.

After the window is closed I expect the team to get better and better. By then we will know if GB is sticking with us or shipping out and the replacements will be in. I WAS full of confidence for this season after the early signings of Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado but feel this saga is overshadowing the whole thing, and then Dawson/Vertonghen get injured with Kaboul and Sandro still not quite there, and it feels like there is a lot of work to do before kick off.

2 weeks to go, one more televised friendly (and a couple of behind closed doors games). We shall see. I'm expecting a lot more player movement before the window closes.

Palace won't be an easy start, easier if it was a home game.

Overall, we will be fine. Expecting a rocky start though, typical Spurs really.

Why can't we ever get problems addressed before the start of the season? We always seem to throw points away needlessly at the start of the season and it ends up theoretically costing us.

I'm worried about our defence, same as the rest of you, and fear another Fryers & Livermore 'super show' unless the club has new recruits identified and almost signed.

Think we will be ok v Palace but Swansea could really test us defensively with Bony's strength, and ability, and Michu.

That concern aside, and the Bale situation dismissed as its been discussed repeated times, I think we have a good squad with depth and a top striker. So over the course of the season I see no reason why we can't have aspirations for a high finish. I think we'll finish in the top 3 but let's see.

I thought we were fine up until we sold Dempsey and Caulker.

It's concerning that we have not seen that much movement on replacing them. If you are selling important players this close to the season then you should have their replacements either already in, or ready to join in the next day or so.

The Bale saga and it's outcome will likely affect how our chances are in getting top four next season. Whether he is sold or not and whether or not the money he might bring in is spent well. Infuriating that for a second season in a row Real Madrid are making our pre-season preparations even more disjointed than they are.

It would even be in Real Madrids best interests to get these purchases done early, however it doesn't seem to be something that they understand.

fighting for 4th place, along with Arse and Liverpool

poor start to the league because of injuries and the Bale saga....can see us losing to Palace 3-1, losing to Swansea at home who are already playing competitive games and will be very fit and sharp by the time they come to the Lane, and then we will pick up a draw at Arse

We will see the best of the team after christmas and imo we will finish well in our last 10 games

Bale will go, Eriksen will come in, plus a couple of centre halfs and thats yer lot

Its funny how Swansea have suddenly turned into a team people are fearing more than Arsenal... shows how far both they have come and how far Arsenal have fallen....(relatively of course)

My own thoughts are that IF the centre-back position is addressed and I think it will be (i think we will sign a cheapish but solid experienced CB - probably Rolando and a younger player - either the Belgian kid at Ajax or we will push the Chiriches deal through) I think we will be ok in the first few games, before really motoring in once the transfer window closes and the GB business has been finalised.

I actually was impressed by Chadli against Monaco. When he was on the ball he reminded me of Dembele in that he has very quick feet and change of direction for a big guy and strength to shield the ball.

The problem was he spent a lot of time in midfield looking for the ball as the service he was getting was pretty crap. I kept getting him mixed up with Dembele as he is so similar in build and stiyle then the camera would zoom in and it would be Chadli not Dembele...

I hope Townsend gets in ahead of Lennon this year too. SO much more impressive for me!

Back