• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

I wouldn't allow anyone in the first 22-ish to leave, unless we get a replacement (which is hard). A couple injuries in the same position is to be expected at some point. The only position where I think we can easily cope with that at the moment is out wide with Son, Bale, Moura, Lamela and Berwijn, as well as GLC being able to play there - perhaps one of those could leave, but its unlikely I'd imagine

Obviously allow Rose and Gedson to leave if we can and if there are takers; some younger players who are nearing the make-or-break age to leave on loan

To your point -> Rose & Gedson out, I think Dele has to be considered either for Loan/Sale, sale if we have an immediate target for the money (CB/CM), loan if we think there is a long term place for him and we just want to keep him happy, help him find form via playing time.

Also think we should consider sending out some of White, Clark, Cirkin, Devine and Scarlett on loan as well for second part of season (less of the cup matches they are likely to get used for)

My opinion is we will be opportunistic in the window, if there is a player we like/have tracked that becomes available for the right price = yes, if not, wait till summer.

Sissoko out, Sabitzer in... Wait I like Moussa, Sissoko bench, Sabitzer in.
Sorry in advance for the long post here!

I *think* we may have a spare overseas spot in our PL squad anyway at present, unless Doherty counts as an overseas player under PL rules? (must confess I am confused by all that)

I was trying to work out who we had and their home grown/u21 etc status earlier and came up with the following:

OS = overseas player
AT = Association trained (Not sure if any/all of Davies, Rodon and Doherty count as association trained for purpose of PL?)
HG = Home grown
u21 = classed as under 21 so do not need to be part of the 25 player limit for registrations)

(u21s listed below as not taking up one of the 25 squad spaces)

1. Lloris (OS 1)
2. Hart (AT 1)
3. Gazzaniga (OS 2)
4. Whiteman (AT 2, HG 1)
4. Austin (AT 3, HG 2, u21)
5. Alderweireld (OS 3)
6. Sanchez (OS 4)
7. Dier (OS 5)
8. Rodon (AT 4)
9. Aurier (OS 6)
10. Doherty (AT 5)
10. Tanganga (AT 6, HG 3, u21 - but no longer u21 next season)
11. Regulion (OS 7)
12. Davies (AT 7)
12. Cirkin (AT 8, HG 4, u21)
13. Winks (AT 9, HG 5)
14. Lamela (OS 8)
15. Sissoko (OS 9)
16. Dele (AT 10, HG 6? - was he here long enough before he was 21 to count?)
17. Ndombele (OS 10)
17. Gedson (u21 - but no longer u21 next season)
17. Clarke (AT 11, u21)
18. Hojbjerg (OS 11)
18. White (AT 12, HG 6, u21)
19. Lo Celso (OS 12)
20. Moura (OS 13)
21. Bergwijn (OS 14)
22. Bale (AT 13, HG 8 (was he here long enough before he was 21 to count?)
23. Son (OS 15)
24. Kane (AT 14, HG 9)
25. Vinicius (OS 16)
25. Scarlett (AT 15, HG 10)

Looking at the above we're in pretty good shape for further strengthening for future seasons....

For a start we have Skipp and Sessegnon to come back and both have the bonus of still counting as u21 players next season.

I think a few of the above listed players should ideally be getting loans next season (Cirkin, White, Scarlet and Austin for example) but there are other good u21s in the academy who could fill in if needed

If we want to strengthen in January then we could do so by dropping Gazzaniga from the registered squad. It seems he's now third in line behind Lloris and Hart anyway and Whiteman can hopefully cover the third keeper spot.

The other option is to put Lamela out of his misery. He is a decent player but his injury record is absolutely horrendous. I'd probably wait until next summer to swap him out as he is integrated with the squad, but he takes up a valuable overseas squad place that could easily be put to better use.

I think it's pretty obvious that Gedson will return to Benfica in the summer, especially as he would count as an over 21 next season and isn't worth one of those valuable overseas squad places.

Ideally we can also bring in a better overseas centre half than Sanchez. This should be our number 1 priority bit of business in the summer, if not January.

This summer could also be the right time to think about moving Sissoko on. However I would only do that if we're getting desperate on the 17 overseas signing spaces in the squad, as he plays an important part in our squad and is very dependable.

That really leaves Dele Ali. Unless Jose changes tactics or Dele moves into a deeper role then he is a bit of a square peg for us. I think the club might look to use him to generate funds to buy a player more suited to our team. It will be a shame as he has incredible talent and has given us some brilliant moments but sometimes these hard decisions have to be taken for the good of the club.

Next season we'd see something like:

1. Lloris (OS 1)
2. Hart (AT 1)
3. Whiteman (AT 2, HG 1)
4. Alderweireld (OS 2)
5. Dier (OS 3)
6. Rodon (AT 3)
7. Aurier (OS 4)
8. Doherty (AT 4)
9. Tanganga (AT 5, HG 2)
10. Regulion (OS 5)
10. Sessegnon (AT 6, u21)
11. Davies (AT 7)
12. Winks (AT 8, HG 3)
12. Skipp (AT9, HG 4, u21)
13. Sissoko (OS 6)
14. Ndombele (OS 7)
14. Clarke (AT 10, u21)
15. Hojbjerg (OS 8)
16. Lo Celso (OS 9)
17. Moura (OS 10)
18. Bergwijn (OS 11)
19. Bale (AT 11, HG 5 - was he here long enough before he was 21 to count?)
20. Son (OS 12)
21. Kane (AT 12, HG 6)
22. Vinicius (OS 13) - hoping we could pick him up for about £25m in the current climate?)

That would leave us 3 spaces in the squad to fill. Personally I'd go for:

1. A new centre half. Upamecano would be my ideal player here but probably too expensive and also too desired by the likes of Bayern Munich for us to land him. I'd look to the Serbian, Nicola Milenkovic from Fiorentina as our first choice here (Inter were looking to buy for about £25m if we had bought Skriniar off of them) or perhaps even Matthias Ginter from Monchengladbach, who I think is seriously underrated and has the leadership qualities we need. Alternatively if Burnley go down then I'd happily have James Tarkowski off of them.

2. A new creative but hard working midfield player to replace Lamela. I'd go all out for Marcel Sabitzer here. Think he would fit into our team really well and now that it appears that Leipzig have signed Szoboszlai it should be possible to prise him away and he might even be gettable for under £30m with his contract situation.

3. A beast of a midfield player to take over from Sissoko. My ideal here would be Soumare from Lille. His Lille contract expires in summer 2022 and he is perhaps available for around £30m in the current climate. I think he will explode to be a Patrick Vieira type and this will be our last opportunity to be able to buy him (and we should have a head start with our coaching staff).

I'd also be tempted to swap out Bale for a player like Leon Bailey but I just can't see us having the funds for that sort of deal.

I think that would give us a title winning squad, other than perhaps being a little weak in terms of cover for Lloris. If we wanted to go out and buy a proper challenger for his position then Sissoko could be the overseas player to make way as I don't really see any English keepers who are good enough, although if Bunley went down then Nick Pope would be a safe pair of hands as much better cover than Hart, allowing Whiteman to go out on loan and experience proper first team football.

Du you guys, or others, think he could play instead of Hojbjerg on case of injury/rotation?

Could he form a partnership with Sissoko, Lo Celso, Winks or others? Or would he more be an upgrade on Sissoko for our strongest 11 in a lot of games, but still leave us with the problem of what to do in case Hojbjerg can't play?
Sabitzer is anything but a holding midfielder! He's more of a forward than a defensive midfielder. Creator, attacking midfielder, call it what you want, but he's not in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1!

He isn’t slow but certainly not in the pacey bracket

From what i read in preseason it sounded as though he was definitely 'slow' rather than 'not quick' but can't say I've seen anything of him myself to say one way or the other.

Regardless, if we are looking for a 'fast CB" he ain't it.

For me and my personal gripes with Mourinho, a fast CB signing would certainly be something which makes me sit up and take notice

Back