• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

If they have 30+ but aren’t using many of them yet then what is actually the problem?

As I said before, I’m not sure that anyone other than the board want Pogba there. If I was Ole I’d be doing all I could to get him out of the club and then having the other two is absolutely fine.

Sancho seemed a strange target to me anyway for Man Utd, again can’t help but wonder if that is a board signing instead of one wanted by the coaching staff. To be honest I think VDB is a better attacking midfield player than Sancho anyway.

Wages, squad registration, home grown quotas, discouraging potential new players (how am I going to play in front of 6 other players?)

I think VDB is a good player, but he is a 50M expenditure that wasn't needed. United could have got rid of perhaps 4-6 of that 30 in summer, not bought VDB and Cavani and instead got Reguilon (do what we did and sign the buy back) plus Skrinar or Koulibaly and they would have been so much better off

I disagree. The PL season is a long one.... add that to 2 domestic cup competitions, European football and a majority of players at the big clubs also going off to play international football and it’s clear that a big squad is a necessity. It is later in the season when it becomes more apparent and, as I have said a few times, I think it also played a part in why Pochettino couldn’t get us over the line to win a trophy, as when it came to the big games late in the season we were starting to run on empty.
That’s a combination of management (a weakness for them) and poor squad management
Your view is right, why have loads of players and not play them. But similarly if there not good enough would you play them?
Their recruitment has been so poor it’s scary
You mention Sancho later on and I rate him so highly big he was never the right fit for what they need I agree. Just another plc target IMO to keep sponsors happy

Wages, squad registration, home grown quotas, discouraging potential new players (how am I going to play in front of 6 other players?)

I think VDB is a good player, but he is a 50M expenditure that wasn't needed. United could have got rid of perhaps 4-6 of that 30 in summer, not bought VDB and Cavani and instead got Reguilon (do what we did and sign the buy back) plus Skrinar or Koulibaly and they would have been so much better off
I think their wage bill is about 55% of income (pre COVID anyway) that clearly isn’t an issue for them.

I’m not actually sure that Skrinar or Koulibaly (who always seeemd to look rubbish against English opposition whenever I watched the Europa League) are particularly good. They didn’t like the buy-back deal for Regulion, just as we have previously turned down such deals (although I am pleased that we have now changed our stance here).

As I say, I think Pogba will be off in Jan or next summer and it actually made sense to bring in a replacement early due to that player becoming available. I wanted us to do that with Sangare from Toulouse last summer to allow us to move Sissoko on in summer 2021.

That’s a combination of management (a weakness for them) and poor squad management
Your view is right, why have loads of players and not play them. But similarly if there not good enough would you play them?
You mention Sancho later on and I rate him so highly big he was never the right fit for what they need I agree. Just another plc target IMO to keep sponsors happy
It is what can happen when a club becomes as big as Man Utd, Barcelona or Real Madrid. It is why I have always admired Bayern Munich so much, they seem, to stay away from the superstar personalities.

Yep, they have spent tons, have IIRC the most expensive squad in PL if not Europe yet you have Shaw, Bailly, Matic and Mata still getting regular game time.

You could get rid of Shaw, Jones, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Matic, Mata, Linguard, Pogba, Ighalo, Romero

Buy a LB, CB, perhaps a DM and have a much better side for a lot less cost.

p.s. Swap the manager as well

If they have 30+ but aren’t using many of them yet then what is actually the problem?

As I said before, I’m not sure that anyone other than the board want Pogba there. If I was Ole I’d be doing all I could to get him out of the club and then having the other two is absolutely fine.

Sancho seemed a strange target to me anyway for Man Utd, again can’t help but wonder if that is a board signing instead of one wanted by the coaching staff. To be honest I think VDB is a better attacking midfield player than Sancho anyway.
United need a RW they have nothing there hence the interest in Sancho. I think he was too expensive and also not an actual priority in terms of importance but they do in the long run need a RW and have done since Jose's time there if you remember his interest in Persic and the eventual signing of Sanchez who ended up on the left.

Yep, they have spent tons, have IIRC the most expensive squad in PL if not Europe yet you have Shaw, Bailly, Matic and Mata still getting regular game time.

You could get rid of Shaw, Jones, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah, Matic, Mata, Linguard, Pogba, Ighalo, Romero

Buy a LB, CB, perhaps a DM and have a much better side for a lot less cost.

p.s. Swap the manager as well

I think their main requirement is CM. Add 2 CMs (and probably a CB too) and they'd be a vastly different proposition.

Their front 4 (Fernandes, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani...plus Martial) is very good. Henderson is a decent keeper, and Maguire and Wan Bissaka are good enough for top 4 or 6; tie will tell re Telles.

The two CMs are a gaping hole

United need a RW they have nothing there hence the interest in Sancho. I think he was too expensive and also not an actual priority in terms of importance but they do in the long run need a RW and have done since Jose's time there if you remember his interest in Persic and the eventual signing of Sanchez who ended up on the left.

Where does he fit (RW)? they play 3 up front at times IIRC, so does he replace one of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial? or do you drop to 2 up front and the new RW takes one of the midfield roles?

I think their main requirement is CM. Add 2 CMs (and probably a CB too) and they'd be a vastly different proposition.

Their front 4 (Fernandes, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani...plus Martial) is very good. Henderson is a decent keeper, and Maguire and Wan Bissaka are good enough for top 4 or 6; tie will tell re Telles.

The two CMs are a gaping hole

But the CM is overloaded as well -> Fred, Pogba, McTominay, VDB, Fernandes, Mata, Matic, Linguard

You want to add two CMs to that? where do they fit, and how do you account for the wide players beyond the front 2/3?

Where does he fit (RW)? they play 3 up front at times IIRC, so does he replace one of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial? or do you drop to 2 up front and the new RW takes one of the midfield roles?

But the CM is overloaded as well -> Fred, Pogba, McTominay, VDB, Fernandes, Mata, Matic, Linguard

You want to add two CMs to that? where do they fit, and how do you account for the wide players beyond the front 2/3?
They will always need more players in key areas as when they address one they forget another
It’s why what we did this summer was highly unusual and extraordinary.
I think United would happily drop Martial if they had an alternative (he is too streaky for the very best sides) and that frees up a spot

Assuming a 4-2-3-1, I think they lack two proper PL CMs:
- Fernandes is a no 10, and perhaps you keep VDB* as his understudy. Mata is their 3rd no 10, so he leaves (or he stays and VDB leaves)
- Matic, Fred, McTominay are back-up CM quality if you want to be a top PL team. They're the equivalent of Harry Winks for us or Milner/Oxlade-C for Liverpool
- Lingaard is the oldest young player in the PL and bang average
- I'd sell Pogba. I think its either him or Fernandes as the starting no 10, and I wouldnt want Pogba's ego disrupting the squad when not starting

* VDB might be their only PL quality CM, but I think its too early to say that he'll make it and he'd be eased in further forward

Assuming a 4-2-3-1, I think they lack two proper PL CMs:
- Fernandes is a no 10, and perhaps you keep VDB* as his understudy. Mata is their 3rd no 10, so he leaves (or he stays and VDB leaves)
- Matic, Fred, McTominay are back-up CM quality if you want to be a top PL team. They're the equivalent of Harry Winks for us or Milner/Oxlade-C for Liverpool
- Lingaard is the oldest young player in the PL and bang average
- I'd sell Pogba. I think its either him or Fernandes as the starting no 10, and I wouldnt want Pogba's ego disrupting the squad when not starting

* VDB might be their only PL quality CM, but I think its too early to say that he'll make it and he'd be eased in further forward

So no argument other than with you, @Bedfordspurs and @Bishop you have basically said the most expensive squad in PL is brick .. and they need a window like what we had on top of 7 years of throwing money at the problem .. and hoping you get personalities out of the squad.

Well Greenwood has been playing on the right due to being left footed but he's not a RWF by trade he's a 9. So there plan was for Greenwood to go into rotation for the right and main striker position.

If you watch United on the regular you see they have nothing coming from the right side unless James plays there but he's below average so they tend to go with Greenwood instead as he is quality and dangerous in the final third, just not suited currently to playing as a RWF/RW.

Overall though I agree they had some bigger issues than RW but I do understand the desire for a new player. It should probably have been 2nd or 3rdb priority after a striker and maybe CB.

So no argument other than with you, @Bedfordspurs and @Bishop you have basically said the most expensive squad in PL is brick .. and they need a window like what we had on top of 7 years of throwing money at the problem .. and hoping you get personalities out of the squad.
They just need a strategy they stick with
It’s a car crash right now IMO
Scatter gun buying or “brand buying”
Good luck to them I say as it makes our life easier

They just need a strategy they stick with
It’s a car crash right now IMO
Scatter gun buying or “brand buying”
Good luck to them I say as it makes our life easier

It is and its been that way ever since Fergie went, they have been throwing money around just like confetti since. There has not been a lot of planning and it shows that they have so many players for positions who are all much of a muchness. I love the mess they are in because they are the club i dislike the most.

Martial is utter gash, and has been for many years now. He doesn't bring anything.
How much did he cost again? Around 75m wasn't it? Was supposed to be the best thing since Ronaldo...

Martial is utter gash, and has been for many years now. He doesn't bring anything.
How much did he cost again? Around 75m wasn't it? Was supposed to be the best thing since Ronaldo...

Martial, Fred, Fernandes, Pogba, Maguire were all stupid expensive (and most of them had ridiculous add-ons that took the final fee into crazy places)

VDB, Wan Bissaka and a few others are just "regular" expensive, Cavani is another story (no one would touch the guy for 6 months due to wage/agent fee demands supposedly)

Martial, Fred, Fernandes, Pogba, Maguire were all stupid expensive (and most of them had ridiculous add-ons that took the final fee into crazy places)

VDB, Wan Bissaka and a few others are just "regular" expensive, Cavani is another story (no one would touch the guy for 6 months due to wage/agent fee demands supposedly)
Apparently he's on similar wages as Sanchez was. Bonkers.

Last edited:
Back