• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

I'm honestly thinking Robbo (is he available on a free?)... to be our Number 'Free'!!

After Friedel, to see Robbo lining up the wall for free-kicks again would send me into dementia.

A cult hero, and welcome back at the Lane at any time....but not wearing our GK jersey, I think. Long shots never were his strong point.

Maybe Button is ready for a 3rd choice place now, over 100 career appearances now in various leagues, wasn't there quotes from him regarding his future at Spurs?

Saw him play a bit at the start of the season and he did fairly well, maybe coming back and training under parks alongside Brad and Carlo would do him well.

From a wage point of view our keeper situation is ridiculous, Carlo's won't be cheap and he's 38 I think, and Gomes will have a hefty wage also and barely played, it may as well have been Button to save 30/40 grand a week

That awful moment we sell Niko to a rival, where he proves what an excellent player he is and stares at their fans with those eyes....

1st bolded; unnecessary, I'd argue, given that we could either extend Cudicini's contract or promote Button. Friedel as back-up keeper, I'm not too sure about either, but I can see where you're coming from so I won't cavil too much. But consider that he's been consistent far longer than anyone's expected him to be, and there's no reason that can't continue. Also, doesn't he deserve a shot at CL football, if we (hopefully) make it?

2nd bolded; again, rather unnecessary. Luka and Hudd are fine as our creative mids, and with Sandro, Scotty and Jake, I think the other position's taken as well. Hell, a midfield of Luka, Hudd and Sandro would be a sight to see. Plus, Rafa isn't really a forward with all the tracking back he does. He could just fill in as a CM, it's where he spends the most time in games. So that's another CM, giving us a total of six. Good enough.

3rd bolded; wut? the lad's barely featured since moving to Southampton. Nigel Adkins clearly doesn't rate him. So why on earth would he be good enough for the fourth forward position? Pienaar would do a better job there.

Otherwise, pretty much agree with your list of sales and releases, with the slight addendum that since Naughton can cover both full-back positions and Gallas and hopefully Vertonghen can both play at left-back, perhaps letting Danny go wouldn't be the worst idea. He'd be worth quite a bit, after all, what with him having pace, PL experience and an occasional screamer in him. Maybe 5-6 mill?

This is not my list but an overall poll result. I had Danny Rose to go out on loan and Naughton covering both with Pienaar and Saha sticking around. Around 50 people+ voted for each position/player. Button had more "go on loan" than "3rd choice" votes. New backup central midfielder had more votes than "keeping" the ones who couldn't make the 25-man squad and Tom Carroll had more votes to go out on loan than to stick around. Falque essentially replaced Gio in a Lennon/VDV backup role. I'd point you to the poll but I don't think this forum likes linking back to other Spurs forums.

Why do people keep saying to sell GDS 'for the sake of his own career'?!?!?

Why not just sell him because he's brick, hasnt produced anything in the 3(?) years which he's been at Spurs, has a reputution for lack of effort/application and is a financial burden on the club?

There are no footballing reasons to keep him

How can you say that, he has been threatening every time he has the ball.... Oh wait a minute wrong player!!!

Genuinely one of our worst mistakes as we bought based on reputation from his then side. I'm sure he will become a half decent player at a lesser side in sunnier climes it every time I see him in a spurs shirt I just see it as a waste of a place that could have been taken at the very least by Townsend who has done a lo more in the championship than Gio has done

Apparently Gio has an assist in the PL according to Wiki, can anyone remember what game that was in?

I wouldn't say he was anywhere near our worst mistake, 5m was a bit of a gamble for sure but we're still likely to get a fair bit of that back.

And given the chance in our first XI for a run of games I think we'd see the player he has the potential of becoming but it's not likely to happen, so the best of luck to him whereever he goes, think he'll prove most Spurs fans wrong at the Euros with Mexico but we'll see

Apparently Gio has an assist in the PL according to Wiki, can anyone remember what game that was in?

I wouldn't say he was anywhere near our worst mistake, 5m was a bit of a gamble for sure but we're still likely to get a fair bit of that back.

And given the chance in our first XI for a run of games I think we'd see the player he has the potential of becoming but it's not likely to happen, so the best of luck to him whereever he goes, think he'll prove most Spurs fans wrong at the Euros with Mexico but we'll see

Agreed, looking at the goals he has scored with Mexico, it is clear he has talent. We havent really done our best to settle him in and adapt him to the premierleague. He should have played more this season, especially when Lennon was out. Stick him on the right, im sure he can beat his man.

Here's my list.

1 - Brad Friedel
2 - Gomes - if we can't sell him. He's good enough to be no 2 and Cudicini is out of contract
3 - David Button

4 - Kyle Walker
5 - Kyle Naugton
6 - Benoit-Assou Ekotto
7 - Corluka - it'll keep Modric happy too

8 - Vertonghen
9 - King - depending on how successful his latest surgery is
10 - William Gallas
11 - Michael Dawson
12 - Younes Kaboul
*Caulker (youth)

13 - Sandro Ranieri
14 - Scott Parker
15 - Jake Livermore
16 - Tom Huddlestone
17 - Luka Modric

18 - Dembele
19 -Gareth Bale
20 - Aaron Lennon
21 - Remy

22 - Kranjcar - play him as a no10. not a winger where is not mobile enough for.
23 - Van Der Vaart
24 - Emmanuel Adebayor
25 - Leandro

Loan - Rose, Townsend, Falque, Uvini to premiership club
Sell - Defoe, Jenas, Bentley, Bassong, Peanut, Gio
Release - Nelson, Saha, Cudicini

Last edited:

Erm....

portugal-fishing.jpg

This is not my list but an overall poll result. I had Danny Rose to go out on loan and Naughton covering both with Pienaar and Saha sticking around. Around 50 people+ voted for each position/player. Button had more "go on loan" than "3rd choice" votes. New backup central midfielder had more votes than "keeping" the ones who couldn't make the 25-man squad and Tom Carroll had more votes to go out on loan than to stick around. Falque essentially replaced Gio in a Lennon/VDV backup role. I'd point you to the poll but I don't think this forum likes linking back to other Spurs forums.

Ah. A poll. I see. Sorry, I'm a fool this early in the morning.

I don't remember, I had to look it up, but I think Wiki is wrong. They list him as having had 5 PL appearances this season "as of 20 March 2012". At that date he'd only had 4, all as a substitute. He subsequently had 3 more substiute appearances, but in those 7 games we only scored 2 goals in the minutes after he came on. I don't think he assisted in either - the last goal against Liverpool (Adebayor) and VDV's equaliser at home to Stoke.

Harry Kane doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere in the thread.

Been hearing that Southampton might be looking to take him on loan next season, would be decent for him to get some Premiership Experience.

My, my. Dawson was our second best CB, almost on a par with Kaboul.

Also, king, we won't sell him. He'll either retire, or join our coaching staff.

Fixed.

His injuries seem to have affected him quite a bit, whilst i can admit he might be able to get back up to where he was. I would not want to wager upon it...

Back