• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

I don't remember, I had to look it up, but I think Wiki is wrong. They list him as having had 5 PL appearances this season "as of 20 March 2012". At that date he'd only had 4, all as a substitute. He subsequently had 3 more substiute appearances, but in those 7 games we only scored 2 goals in the minutes after he came on. I don't think he assisted in either - the last goal against Liverpool (Adebayor) and VDV's equaliser at home to Stoke.

No PL assists or goals, a goal and assist against Cheltenham and a goal and assist against Shamrock

Bassong - Sell
Jenas - Sell
Pienaar - Keep
Corluka - Keep
Caulker - Keep
Dos Santos - Sell
Bentley - Sell
Krancjar - Keep
Khumalo - SELL, WHY DID WE BUY HIM AGAIN????
Townsend- Keep

Harry Kane doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere in the thread.

Been hearing that Southampton might be looking to take him on loan next season, would be decent for him to get some Premiership Experience.

Your right, I would put Kane in our squad. He had a blinding season at Millwall, so might be worth giving him a crack at the prem.

Imagine this scenario; Adebayor has gone back definately, Defoe gets sold to someone else, we wait until the last day of the transfer window to bring someone in and miss out - We only have Harry Kane upfront for the start of the season until January...!

My ideal squad for next year would be as follows:

GKs
1) Brad Friedel
2) Carlo Cudiccini
3) David Button/Oscar Jansson/Joe Lewis (out of contract at Peterboro I believe)

Full Backs
4) Kyle Walker
5) Kyle Naugton
6) Benoit-Assou Ekotto
+ Adam Smith

Centre Halves
7) Jan Vertonghen (new CB/cover LB) (?ú10 million?)
8 ) William Gallas
9) Michael Dawson
10) Younes Kaboul
11) Ledley King (pay as you play deal assuming his op goes ok)
If King's op does not go well then
11) Nelsen (yes with no King I would keep him - I have been reasonably impressed with him when he has played and he would be a decent experienced option to have as emergency backup)
+ Steven Caulker

Deep Lying Midfielders
12) Sandro Ranieri
13) Scott Parker
14) Jake Livermore
15) Tom Huddlestone

Offensive Midfielders
16) Luka Modric
17) Moussa Dembele (CM/AM/CF cover) (?ú12 million?)
+ Tom Carrol

Wide Players
18 ) Gareth Bale
19) Aaron Lennon
20) Junior Hoilett (new cover on both wings and to VDV) (?ú2 million development fee?)
+ Andros Townsend

Forwards
21) Rafa Van Der Vaart
22) Loic Remy (striker/winger) (?ú18 million)
23) Emmanuel Adebayor (striker) (?ú10 million)
24) Clint Dempsey (striker/AM) (?ú10 million)
+ Harry Kane

Total in: ?ú62 million.

Also a spare squad place in case we want/need to add another player in January for a final title push! :D

Now the outs (hopefully I am being reasonably realistic with values):

Jenas ?ú2M (decent squad player but Livermore has come in and taken this place well)
Pienaar ?ú5M (good player but won't get enough game time)
Defoe ?ú10M (makes sense to get some money back on him now)
Corluka ?ú5M (good player, but wants to go and we have new options now)
Kranjcar ?ú5M (another good player, but doesn't fit our system)
Gio ?ú2M (will probably make it somewhere, but isn't going to get the chance to do so with us)
Bentley ?ú1M (doesn't have pace to stretch teams, which is what we rely on out wide)
Bassong ?ú5M (has talent but needs confidence, won't get enough games to get that at Spurs. Also not good enough on the ball for our way of playing)
Rose ?ú2M (Wouldn't mind keeping him as cover but I feel he will want to go for the sake of his own career)
Gomes free (Isn't going to get back in and we might as well get his wages off the books)
Khumalo free (Doesn't seem to have any future at the club - a signing for Investec?)
Saha released (Thought he was going to be a real steal after his first game, but he isn't worth his wage demands)
Alnwick released (It's a toss up whether I'd rather (not) have him or Marton Fulop in goal)

Probably about ?ú400k a week saved on wages by the outgoings plus King having a reduced salary. That would probably cover the incomings and the contract rises for Bale, Modric, Walker and Kaboul.

I think the above would give us a team and squad that would be challenging for the very highest league places. The question is whether we have the finances and appetite to be spending over ?ú30 million on transfer and agents fees this Summer.... Perhaps it all depends on the result of Saturday's CL final?

Finney, long post so I won't quote, my comments

- Be hugely surprised if we made anything like a 50-60M outlay over summer, happy, but very shocked.
- Nelsen is gone imo, and it makes no sense having Nelsen/King/Gallas, as much as people would bitch, the only one of the 3 I would keep as playing staff is Gallas.
- Naughton/Smith as our FB cover would leave us very vulnerable, and condem Benny/Walker to another very long season of almost every game played.

- Would not pay 12M for Dembele, too much for someone who has literally zero chance of making current first 11
- Hoilett I agree with as he is cheap cover.

- Dempsey unlikely (don't know his contract details) to go for that little, again, balance of cost for cover (as unlikely to replace Ade/VDV/Remy), Holt might be a cheaper option that changes our game a little.

Get rid list is close to right, JD being the question, if we get Ramy & Ade, I think he goes, if we only get one of those two, he stays.

Sell

Defoe. Simply doesn't suit our style of play and too valuable to be a third choice when he isn't versatile.
Kranjcar. Keep as decent backup to VdV.
Corluka. Sell because we Donny need him with Walker, Naughton, Smith and others able to cover.
GDS. Keep unless we get an offer above 5m.
Jenas. Don't need him with Huddlestone, Sandro, Parker, Livermore and Modric ahead of him.
Bentley. Doesn't suit our fast attacking style. Sell
Bassong. I like him bit his confidence is shot and if we get vertonghen and caulker returns he's not needed anyway
Pienaar. Decent squad option unless went offered 5m
Gomes. On a free so will go
Khumalo. No idea never seen him play.

Defoe. Sell - find someone more suitable
Kranjcar. Sell - find someone younger
Corluka. Keep - convert Naughton to CB and Walker as RM when necessary
GDS. Sell - he'll excel on the continent. Get some good money for him.
Jenas. Sell - no replacement needed
Bentley. Sell - no replacement needed
Bassong. Sell - replacement needed - I'd go for Shawcross for more "grunt"
Pienaar. Depends on if we lose Modric
Gomes. Sell (if we can) - need replacement
Cudiccini. Sell - need replacement
Khumalo. Need to give him a game or two to decide.

The Remy for Lennon like-for-like flimflam hoax has officialy taken over!

Goes to show how if you repeat something 100 times if would inevitably be picked up somewhere irrespective of the fact you're pushing an utter joke

So if we were to sign Remy, we could line up next year:

------------------ Friedel

Walker -- Caulker --- Remy ---- BAE

Lennon -- Modric ---- Parker --- Bale

------------- VDV ---- Ade

Button has had some praise which is great but what has happened to Janssen? Looked good when I've seen him (admittedly a while ago)

Here's my list.

Loan - Townsend, Falque, Uvini to premiership club
Sell - Defoe, Jenas, Bentley, Bassong, Peanut, Gio
Release - Nelson, Saha, Cudicini
Public horse-whipping on the High Road, then send out on season long loan to the nothernmost club in the Scottish footbal league- Danny Rose

Fixed that for you, mate

Back