• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spanish Football Thread

BBC Sport - Luka Modric: Real Madrid midfielder outshining the rest
...Recruited by Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur for £33m in August 2012, the Croatia midfielder was in danger of being harshly written off as a high-profile, big-money flop.

Appearances were irregular under Jose Mourinho and some Real fans wanted him sold, with readers of the newspaper Marca voting Modric the worst signing of the year.

Fast forward to the present day and he is indispensable to Carlo Ancelotti, the hard-to-please Bernabeu crowd are chanting his name - they want Modric to wear the prestigious number 10 shirt instead of 19 - and the queue of suitors is growing. They could be waiting a long time...

... Watch the full interview with Luka Modric on Saturday's Football Focus, 12:15 GMT on BBC One and this website.

Last edited:
I read something earlier where Modric said he left for Champions League/to play at a higher level. Pretty much said what we knew except that he still follows Tottenham and loves the fans. Think it's one of those clear the air articles written long after the event when the fans have forgotten the transfer saga, or at least aren't as emotional.

Modric to Madrid should be the new go to example when asking for new players from abroad to be given time (read: all our new signings this season), seems a much better example than the contentious Bale example.

Even with CL experience and being in his mid twenties Modric needed time to settle, find his position, get used to the league and club etc...

I am not sure if we have missed the boat with that Greizmann chap but he looks the real deal, I guess people said the same about Lamela last season in Italy but every time I have seen Greizmann he has looked class, think we could have got him for 10m last season now i doubt it.

That is the level of player we should look at buying a 10m player who could break through not a 30m one.

Never seen this Vallido fella i keep seeing us linked with, is he any good?

I am not sure if we have missed the boat with that Greizmann chap but he looks the real deal, I guess people said the same about Lamela last season in Italy but every time I have seen Greizmann he has looked class, think we could have got him for 10m last season now i doubt it.

That is the level of player we should look at buying a 10m player who could break through not a 30m one.

Never seen this Vallido fella i keep seeing us linked with, is he any good?

Griezmann IS the real deal. Being a follower of Real Sociedad as some on here may know, I've seen him ALOT and he has everything. In fact, he would sort out our left side. I can't even begin to imagine how good we would look with Griezman, Eriksen and Lamela playing behind an in form goalscoring Adebayor. I know that he had a minimum fee release clause in his contract which was round about £20,000,000. I think at that price he'd be well worth it.

Álvaro Vadillo from Betis? Very highly rated. Betis currently really struggling in La Liga at the moment and on course for relegation so if we have been linked in the past, we could be linked in the summer and could perhaps get him at a cheap price, but he is very highly rated so I wonder if Madrid or someone like Atletico may snap him up.

That goal from Bale. Just listen to the roar from the crowd when that went in, none of them expected it. Happy for the man

A few strange results in Spain this weekend. Atletico Madrid currently 3-0 down at half time to Osasuna.

Pretty damn good form from Madrid. Weren't they 8 points behind at one stage. Currently looking at going 3 points clear.

Has Griezmann actually been playing off the left this season. I only see highlights but from those he seems to be playing just off the striker

Bale has 14 goals and 13 assists in 23 appearances ... **** .. he's going to push Ronaldo/Messi at this rate

Btw, the first goal against Schalke was brilliant ..

Back