• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Royal Navy

Please_Can_I_Come_With_You_.jpg

;)

Yar, nothing to contribute apart from maybe an ounce of sense, an understanding of forward planning and a grasp for tactics over and above "Me bad, me smash"...

Yar, nothing to contribute apart from maybe an ounce of sense, an understanding of forward planning and a grasp for tactics over and above "Me bad, me smash"...

Kind of wish the Royal Navy had nothing to do with latest invasion. Following the stupid yanks into another conflict (this time with a more serious enemy stinks of not having learned from the mistakes of the past.

I'm not quite sure I see the point of this thread?

Look, I am definitely not one of the "Lets bash the USA" people on here, but this thread smacks of "we're bigger than you and don't need your input, so ya boo, sucks to you".

Please tell me if I'm wrong?

Or, maybe it's just your way of having a pop back at the anti- US threads that have appeared lately?.......if so, you would be doing far better just to ignore them.

Should have stayed in port, most likely get sunk by some over eager gung-ho numpty mistaking it a an Iranian fast patrol boat..

the yanks do have a point. we dont have any aircraft carriers - but I hardly think it was 'begging'. Diego Garcia is british owned, with a US naval base where they can launch illegal cluster bomb raids from, and all of the bombing raids of Iraq and Afghan were launched from.

the partnership is hardly over!

the yanks do have a point. we dont have any aircraft carriers - but I hardly think it was 'begging'. Diego Garcia is british owned, with a US naval base where they can launch illegal cluster bomb raids from, and all of the bombing raids of Iraq and Afghan were launched from.

the partnership is hardly over!

from a military point of view, we dont offer anything "extra" - but having the UK and French there is important IMHO.
can you imagine what is likely to happen if the US (not got a great history of military subtlety) sent a fleet of ships to Iran?
at least with the UK and French there it is a clear indication that NATO is in the background and the mission is one of peacekeeping and not a US assault on Iran

Look, I am definitely not one of the "Lets bash the USA" people on here, but this thread smacks of "we're bigger than you and don't need your input, so ya boo, sucks to you".

Or, maybe it's just your way of having a pop back at the anti- US threads that have appeared lately?.......if so, you would be doing far better just to ignore them.

I think we're all at the point where we've acquainted ourselves and can give each other stick without anyone's feelings getting hurt... [throws his tear-stained American flag pillow into the washing machine]

Thought it was interesting to be honest. That is, if it's true. The US and the UK are the biggest military allies in the world, would be sort of weird if something like this happened.

Anyway, I remember talking in the politics thread about the Royal Navy with LeedsSpur and Chich I think, so I just felt the article was thread-worthy. No malice intended at all.

Utter madness on our part, why would we want to be there so we can waste money yet again.

I would rather we did not go and used that money to spend on tax breaks for companies who trade with brazil, india and china or maybe use the money for extra schools so we can send troubled youngsters there instead of into mainstream education, or maybe use the money to bring down our debt.

It is like turning down a free drink when someone goes to the bar(something i have never done) if the americans want to sort it out themselves let them so what if the french go i could not give a brick. This is the worse side to cameron, he is so scared how he is thought of by the rest of the world.

Some will call me a little englander and i do not care, NATO NATO NATO lets just stick with nato and not worry about anything else, another world war 2? would not happen and if it did if say iran put a nuke into israel well then all of europe, australia, canada america hell probably even russia would go after them, we do not need to do things on our own anymore

Worth pointing out that when america came to our rescue in world waar 2 after pearl harbour was attacked...we ended paying off the loans for that war for 60 years. Going with them into iraq, who got the rebuilding projects afterwards? yep the french.

I love america, the american dream and way of life is something i wish we did more over here, but lets not pretend that the american governments have not been taking the tinkle out of us for ages because they have. Even after we stuck by them with the iraq war.

Time to put our heads in the sand and let others deal with the world. I think this is a problem with britain not america to be fair, to many in this country have to high an opinon of themselves and think we still run the world or that people should listen to our opinon.

We need to focus on our defence and also being a key part of NATO anything else is just a waste of money, lets sort out the problems at home first.

Not sure why either needs to be there. Can't all this stuff be done remotely yet?

Straight of Hormuz. Iran wanted to close it, huge shipping lane. I suppose you prove your point more by forcing 1,000 ft carriers in through the Straight rather than have a few drones fly overhead.

Straight of Hormuz. Iran wanted to close it, huge shipping lane. I suppose you prove your point more by forcing 1,000 ft carriers in through the Straight rather than have a few drones fly overhead.

No quotes?

Maybe the yanks can beg us to keep 10,000 of our troops in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan?

I note they stayed in Kabul whilst our lads are down in Helmand? Niiiice!!!

The Americans are desperate to build a coalition to support their fudged up foreign policy so I very much doubt this story.

Remember the 'Coalition of the Willing' during the Iraq War? The mighty military powers of the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau and Solomon Islands, which unfortunately don't actually have armies were involved in Bush's great folly! The UK sent 45,000 troops and held the whole of the south of the country for 8 years.......yep, such a minor contribution.

The USA spends more on defence that the rest of the world combined, newsflash....they have amazing military powers!!

To insult the country which has spend billions and lost over 1000 lives helping them fight their wars over the past 10 years would be at best an act of folly.

Anyhoo....Obama has confirmed massive spending cuts, (about time).......$700 billion a year on defence? Riiiiiiight!!

I know it was banter, but when so many young, (average age 20) British men have died to defend American freedom and ideals, (give me a fudging break) it's in very bad taste.

Last edited:
No quotes?

Maybe the yanks can beg us to keep 10,000 of our troops in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan?

I note they stayed in Kabul whilst our lads are down in Helmand? Niiiice!!!

The Americans are desperate to build a coalition to support their fudged up foreign policy so I very much doubt this story.

Remember the 'Coalition of the Willing' during the Iraq War? The mighty military powers of the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau and Solomon Islands, which unfortunately don't actually have armies were involved in Bush's great folly! The UK sent 45,000 troops and held the whole of the south of the country for 8 years.......yep, such a minor contribution.

The USA spends more on defence that the rest of the world combined, newsflash....they have amazing military powers!!

To insult the country which has spend billions and lost over 1000 lives helping them fight their wars over the past 10 years would be at best an act of folly.

Anyhoo....Obama has confirmed massive spending cuts, (about time).......$700 billion a year on defence? Riiiiiiight!!

I know it was banter, but when so many young, (average age 20) British men have died to defend American freedom and ideals, (give me a fudging break) it's in very bad taste.

so far thats gotta be post of 2012

beg to differ at our 'irrelevance', the irony,

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

Sitting 5th globally not including our nuclear capabilities, not bad at all with all things considered.

Obviously not the same global force as when Britain was holding down a quarter of the world dominating unchallenged for a few hundred years, and when they burnt down the whitehouse in the 19th century when the newly formed USA of A thought they could take us on.

p.s check out Canadas oil reserves and then tell me they are irrelevant too, its a very different world now

Last edited:
beg to differ at our 'irrelevance', the irony,

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

Sitting 5th globally not including our nuclear capabilities, not bad at all with all things considered.

Obviously not the same global force as when Britain was holding down a quarter of the world dominating unchallenged for a few hundred years, and when they burnt down the whitehouse in the 19th century when the newly formed USA of A thought they could take us on.

That website says we have an aircraft carrier we do not.

Nor should we pay to get one. We can defend ourselves and the falklands as we are. If russia tried to invade or iran sent a nuke over. I can assure you that america would join the war that would happen as a way of defending itself, also i imagine that france germany italy and poland all high on that list would see a country in the same region as itself attacked and want in on any war as a way of defending itself, not to mention friendly countries like japan, australia and canada.

Wars of the future are not going to be by one country on its own but by regions, not that i agree with an european army. But the is no reason why can not be allies. Say iran attacked us, well we would invade to over throw the government there. We would get a region to invade, the french theirs and germany theirs and italy theres and so on.

If France or Germany or Canada were attacked i would expect we would make troops available for an invasion, thats how it will happen.

Last edited:

Nor should we pay to get one. We can defend ourselves and the falklands as we are. If russia tried to invade or iran sent a nuke over. I can assure you that america would join the war that would happen as a way of defending itself, also i imagine that france germany italy and poland all high on that list would see a country in the same region as itself attacked and want in on any war as a way of defending itself, not to mention friendly countries like japan, australia and canada.

Wars of the future are not going to be fault by one country on its own but by regions, not that i agree with an european army. But the is no reason why can not be allies. Say iran attacked us, well we would invade to over through the government there. We would get a region to invade, the french theirs and germany theirs and italy theres and so on.

If France or Germany or Canada were attacked i would expect we would make troops available for an invasion, thats how it will happen.

We do have an aircraft carrier, this is from cia sources apparantly, and its called hms illustrious

p.s check out canadas oil reserves and see why the USA has to treat them with kid gloves.

Wars of the future are not going to be fault by one country on its own but by regions, not that i agree with an european army. But the is no reason why can not be allies. Say iran attacked us, well we would invade to over through the government there. We would get a region to invade, the french theirs and germany theirs and italy theres and so on.

Mate, we are currently building TWO aircraft carriers....the largest aircraft carriers we have ever built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_class_aircraft_carrier

We do have an aircraft carrier, this is from cia sources apparantly, and its called hms illustrious

p.s check out canadas oil reserves and see why the USA has to treat them with kid gloves.

Ark Royal has been put into storage Illustrious is active, and Invincible was scrapped in 2005.

HMS Ocean and the Albion Class landing platforms are currently the flagships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion_class_landing_platform_dock

The UK has the 2nd most powerful Navy in the world, as assessed by Jane's.

Last edited:
Back