• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2023/24 Premier League Thread

Howe is a good coach, but I don't think he is suitable for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine job.
He's suffering now because of raised expectations from last season and all the hype over the new owners.
He'd be a good replacement for Southgate when the f a get rid of him.
Howe would be perfect for the set of players we have at England.

He's an attacking coach

Maybe he isn't but I think it'd be crazy for him to be under pressure at this point. He's done an incredible job up there without spending truckloads of money. If you rule him out of Saudi Sportswashing Machine then Chelsea and probably City aren't jobs for him either. If you accept that, I don't think he's a million miles away from being a very serious contender for a Woolwich, Bin Dipper or Spurs job.

At Bournemouth, I admired what he did as he did do a superb job there but always thought they were soft defensively. He's sorted that at Saudi Sportswashing Machine which shows he's learned. He's also improved quite a few players up there (Almiron, Wilson, Joelinton and arguably Tripper, recent struggles notwithstanding, to name a few).

He's turned them from relegation candidates to CL challengers without spending bucketloads and without signing any massive stars.

They’ve got the 4th highest net spend (over £400m net) in the PL since the takeover, only Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal have spent more in the same period.

Howe has been unfortunate with injuries, and with the added strain of CL football their players are looking exhausted. However, another defeat to Liverpool and other results going against them, top 4 (or 5), will potentially be 10+ points away, and I could see the owners looking at making a change as European qualification will be essential for Saudi Sportswashing Machine imo.

They’ve got the 4th highest net spend (over £400m net) in the PL since the takeover, only Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal have spent more in the same period.

Howe has been unfortunate with injuries, and with the added strain of CL football their players are looking exhausted. However, another defeat to Liverpool and other results going against them, top 4 (or 5), will potentially be 10+ points away, and I could see the owners looking at making a change as European qualification will be essential for Saudi Sportswashing Machine imo.
Given where they were and where they have been the last two seasons, that's not massive spend IMO for 4 windows. We've spent 300m+ in the same period and started from a much higher base. They also haven't signed any massive players like City did when the Arabs first came in. Isak, at 70m from Sociedad, is their biggest signing and, personally, I hadn't heard of him previously.

It's mad that he'd be under any pressure IMO but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

Maybe he isn't but I think it'd be crazy for him to be under pressure at this point. He's done an incredible job up there without spending truckloads of money. If you rule him out of Saudi Sportswashing Machine then Chelsea and probably City aren't jobs for him either. If you accept that, I don't think he's a million miles away from being a very serious contender for a Woolwich, Bin Dipper or Spurs job.

At Bournemouth, I admired what he did as he did do a superb job there but always thought they were soft defensively. He's sorted that at Saudi Sportswashing Machine which shows he's learned. He's also improved quite a few players up there (Almiron, Wilson, Joelinton and arguably Tripper, recent struggles notwithstanding, to name a few).

He's turned them from relegation candidates to CL challengers without spending bucketloads and without signing any massive stars.

If anything he did too good a job last season, the euphoria of the buy out must have been difficult to keep focus.
It is nuts that he is under pressure, the instant success demanded is a blight on the game.

Given where they were and where they have been the last two seasons, that's not massive spend IMO for 4 windows. We've spent 300m+ in the same period and started from a much higher base. They also haven't signed any massive players like City did when the Arabs first came in. Isak, at 70m from Sociedad, is their biggest signing and, personally, I hadn't heard of him previously.

It's mad that he'd be under any pressure IMO but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

I’ll need to double check but I think our net spend is roughly £250m, selling Kane for nearly £100m obviously negates a large chunk of the balance.

I think that their spending is very similar to City, in that they’re buying lots of £40m-£60m players to build a strong squad.

the pressure is coming from the nature of defeats imo, yes they have injuries, and they are not winning games, but they are regularly getting smashed, the narrative would be different if they could grind out a few draws

also, they may only have spent x, but they could have spent more/differently, in the summer window, Howe is partly responsible for that too

Howe is a good coach, but I don't think he is suitable for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine job.
He's suffering now because of raised expectations from last season and all the hype over the new owners.
He'd be a good replacement for Southgate when the f a get rid of him.

Funny enough there was talk after Hodgson went that he along with Hoddle would take the job, thought it was a good idea at the time but Southgate got the job.

All managers are under pressure from social media cranks which draw the first blood, the bloggers get the smell and ramp it up and lazy journalist in press and TV run with it, they have to fill all that empty space in their medium. Fans always moan after a bad run but most aren't trigger happy. I don't believe either the owners or fans want Howe out.

Give West Ham credit where its due, Won at Spurs and Arsenal in the last 3 weeks

Rice gives away a penalty. icing on the cake

Back