• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The NFL Thread

when mark Sanchez wins a ball game you know something crazy just happened

Tell me about it! As a Jets fan I suffered through his crap play. But he looks al-right for the Eagles out of the pressure cooker of NY and having some actual playmakers around him. He just has to try not to F up too much.

he played well, sadly we didn't put him under any real pressure and the secondary was playing stand off all night, whenever we got them to third down we gave away a stupid penalty and gifted them an automatic

Really would like to get into nfl but I struggle to pick a team could anyone help pick a team that I can relate Tottenham to, thanks in advance

Really would like to get into nfl but I struggle to pick a team could anyone help pick a team that I can relate Tottenham to, thanks in advance

Dallas! ;-)

Seriously though, you can relate them to Spurs, historically they were seen as the grandest team in the sport (enough to earn the nickname of America's team), they have had a couple of golden periods interspersed with times of utter failure. Of the two winningest franchises (Dallas and Pittsburgh) they are the flashier air attack side opposed to the Steelers defensive grind. In recent years the team has relied more on one or two flair players than a solid overall roster and whilst there has been some memorable performances this is the first time in 5 years we have made the play offs. Inevitably there has been a backlash in recent years and we have become the team everyone else loves to hate.

ha ha great! we play Detroit Sunday in the wildcard game at 4:40 ET, so that the Sunday evening game in the UK I think, 21:40 ko, I assume it's on sky sports

good news is that Detroits Suh is suspended

Watch this video from about 2:10 and see why you utterly shouldn't follow the Dallas Cowboys... unless you're a closet ManU fan or Scouser :dipper:

[video=youtube;6KeG_i8CWE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8[/video]

Their Quarterback (Romo) being the Gerrard of the NFL...

@mixedknuts: *Dawning realisation that late-career Steven Gerrard is Tony Romo*
@GridironGents: Steven Gerrard being kept well away from Bears training camp as he has a serious case of choking, rumour has it he is related to Tony Romo.
@WillParchman: Good one. Dani Alves = Richard Sherman. Gerrard = Romo. RT @rui_xu: So if we're doing cross-sport comps, Andrea Pirlo = Steve Nash, right?

Last edited:
Dallas! ;-)

Seriously though, you can relate them to Spurs, historically they were seen as the grandest team in the sport (enough to earn the nickname of America's team), they have had a couple of golden periods interspersed with times of utter failure. Of the two winningest franchises (Dallas and Pittsburgh) they are the flashier air attack side opposed to the Steelers defensive grind. In recent years the team has relied more on one or two flair players than a solid overall roster and whilst there has been some memorable performances this is the first time in 5 years we have made the play offs. Inevitably there has been a backlash in recent years and we have become the team everyone else loves to hate.

Aw come on you cant be serious. Dallas have had pretty good play for a long time, no really bad years and are well supported. If you want to pick a team that is like spurs in that they flatter to deceive then you need to go for a team like the Eagles or maybe even the Redskins. Or a team that was great a long time ago, still aspires to be great but isnt. That would be the Miami Dolphins. If you want to glory pick then you go with Seattle or New England. Or if you want to go with former good teams that are doing well again then you have the 49ers.

I dont hate the Cowboys but they are over supported already. Do something fresh. Go for a different team. Ravens, Colts etc.

the 49ers are close, but you can't pick a team that play in red can you

pats and Seahawks are city and Chelsea

eagles are like.... wait.... no can't think of any football club that haven't won something... they play in green though, Plymouth argyle, there you go

Redskins have been the continuing laughing stock of the NFL pretty much forever, dysfunctional to a fault, offensive to many, did manage to win one though before sliding back and are heading for a name change, Wimbledon

I was going with, used to be the best, big city glamour team, years of struggle, now starting to find their feet but everyone else is just waiting (and hoping) for us to implode, play in white and blue, owner thinks he knows more than he does so gets overly involved in squad building, not done anything of note since the 90's when we had a brilliant number 8 feeding multiple threats

thinking about it, the skids could be Liverpool as well, won in the 80's, coach runs his mouth to the detriment of the club and they have a racism problem, fans have certain rawkite tendencies as well

Aw come on you cant be serious. Dallas have had pretty good play for a long time, no really bad years and are well supported. If you want to pick a team that is like spurs in that they flatter to deceive then you need to go for a team like the Eagles or maybe even the Redskins. Or a team that was great a long time ago, still aspires to be great but isnt. That would be the Miami Dolphins. If you want to glory pick then you go with Seattle or New England. Or if you want to go with former good teams that are doing well again then you have the 49ers.

I dont hate the Cowboys but they are over supported already. Do something fresh. Go for a different team. Ravens, Colts etc.

As a Giants fan since the 1980s (that happened to be the replica helmet I got in the first packet of NFL gumballs I bought from the corner shop) I'm thoroughly biased and have despised the Cowboys for almost as long as I've hated ARSEnal (the Goon up the street got a Cowboys helmet) but agree with all of the above. Aside from some blue on their kits the Cowboys probably have less in common with Spurs than just about any NFL franchise.

NFL: Which team should I pick? Sportsmail helps you decide | Daily Mail Online
Liverpool – Dallas Cowboys

A famous organisation supported all over the world, and the similarities don't stop there. The last time Liverpool won the league title was in 1990 while Dallas' wait for a Super Bowl stretches back to the 1995 season.

Both still possess very expectant supporters, though, despite their shortcomings in recent years.

If the NFL was English Football - Part 2 - Severn SportSevern Sport
Dallas Cowboys – Liverpool

Dallas Cowboys and Liverpool FC. Two well known worldwide brands, when you think of the premier league and the NFL you think of these two. This isn’t the reason why these match up. Both sides have very expectant fans despite their shortcomings and despite neither side winning championship titles since the 90′s, Liverpool in 1990 and Dallas in 1995.

Neither side are particularly liked by other teams fan, partly due to their high expectations and partly because they always talk about the past.

First thing I thought of when reading this was the American Coach in London clip. It's a classic.

I'm a Giants fan just because I tend to go NY in all my teams (except NHL - Flyers for me).

not having it, Liverpool have always been *****, universal marmite, you are either a Liverpool fan or you ****ing hate them with a deep rooted passion, there is no inbetween

First thing I thought of when reading this was the American Coach in London clip. It's a classic.

I'm a Giants fan just because I tend to go NY in all my teams (except NHL - Flyers for me).

Giants were sheer happenchance for me and I just opted for San Antonio in the NBA because they are also Spurs, never got into MLB or NHL tho.

And also this:

NFL: Which team should I pick? Sportsmail helps you decide | Daily Mail Online

not having it, Liverpool have always been *****, universal marmite, you are either a Liverpool fan or you ****ing hate them with a deep rooted passion, there is no inbetween

Hence why Liverpool = Cowboys, as they are the most universally despised clubs in their respective leagues ;)

Why America Hates the Dallas Cowboys | Bleacher Report

'First Take': NFL's most-hated team? - SportsNation - ESPN

Poll: Dallas Cowboys are actually America's least favorite team - CBSSports.com

Last edited:
ah Internet schminternet, you can't believe anything you read online

I did a poll on the Cowboys forum I'm a member of and only half of the respondents claimed to hate Dallas, something else they have in common with spurs

ah kakapo schmkakapo, you can't believe anything you read online

I did a poll on the Cowboys forum I'm a member of and only half of the respondents claimed to hate Dallas, something else they have in common with spurs

If the colts had not won it with Peyton a few years back i would have suggested them as the spurs connection. They had not won it since the 60's and play in blue and white. So with that team crossed off ill go with the San Diego Chargers. They play in spurs colors and flatter to deceive nearly every year only to under perform when it matters.

It's impossible to compare American teams to British teams, the draft makes it much more even. Five years ago the Seahawks were one of the worst teams in the league, now they're favourites to win their second Superbowl in a row. Premiership teams are stuck in their tiers which they will never break out of without a billionaire owner, in American sports a bad team can become a great one within a couple of years with good drafting and cap management.

It's impossible to compare American teams to British teams, the draft makes it much more even. Five years ago the Seahawks were one of the worst teams in the league, now they're favourites to win their second Superbowl in a row. Premiership teams are stuck in their tiers which they will never break out of without a billionaire owner, in American sports a bad team can become a great one within a couple of years with good drafting and cap management.

Aw come on man! ;) its just a joke anyway and we are having a laugh with it. That is one of the reasons I love american sports. All the franchises are pretty well off and you can go from crap to pretty good in a couple of years unlike the premier league. But its still fun to joke about it. And I can give testiment to the fact that no matter the money etc some teams in the NFL never get their time either. I have been supporting the Jets for 30 years now and the closest we have come is three AFC Championship games that we have then lost.

Thankfully I have been lucky with the San Antonio Spurs and the New Jersey Devils but the Mets and Jets are just pain pills. And even though its cool to see the Spurs win the Championship I am more into my NFL and the Jets are not close and wont be for a long time.

Last edited:
Back