• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The NFL Thread

fans wouldn’t, but the statistical analysts do, if you Google it there are pages and pages of blogs/papers/articles making the case

again look at their pay compared to the other skilled positions. It’s not just fans that wouldn’t argue it. It’s GMs, HCs pretty much everyone that knows about the game.

The amount of points they contribute are a quirk of the game, the extra point for example are (almost) a given as they are given and extremely easy opportunity (for a professional) at the end of every touchdown to score.

Similarly most field goals are between 20-45 yards. Ie the hard work has already been done to get them in “field goal range”.

again look at their pay compared to the other skilled positions. It’s not just fans that wouldn’t argue it. It’s GMs, HCs pretty much everyone that knows about the game.

The amount of points they contribute are a quirk of the game, the extra point for example are (almost) a given as they are given and extremely easy opportunity (for a professional) at the end of every touchdown to score.

Similarly most field goals are between 20-45 yards. Ie the hard work has already been done to get them in “field goal range”.
Wouldn’t the pay angle at least partly be due to the lack of physical danger a kicker is under, that and their minutes (or seconds sometimes) on the pitch compared to others?

Wouldn’t the pay angle at least partly be due to the lack of physical danger a kicker is under, that and their minutes (or seconds sometimes) on the pitch compared to others?

the pay per time on the pitch would be quite the anomaly. That wouldn’t translate to any other position.

for example centers are on the pitch the same amount of time as left tackles, but left tackles are paid much more as they protect the QBs blind side and usually go up against the oppositions best pass rusher.

But let’s take finance out of it and talk about the draft.

In the whole 7 rounds of the draft rarely more than a couple of kickers are taken and they will be in the later rounds (rounds 6 or 7) you maybe able to find examples of them going higher but these would be anomalies.

I would say that this demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt that Kickers are not the second most important position in the NFL. They are very very low down in terms of team’s priorities

https://www.nfl.com/news/tottenham-...expanded-partnership-through-2029-2030-season

Tottenham Hotspur, NFL announce expanded partnership through 2029-2030 season
Published: Sep 14, 2023 at 09:17 AM

Tottenham Hotspur and the National Football League (NFL) today announced the expansion of their partnership through the 2029-2030 NFL season. As part of the agreement, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will be given official status as the Home of the NFL in the UK.

Under terms of the expanded partnership, a minimum of two regular season NFL games a year will continue to be played at the world-class, multi-use stadium -- the only stadium purpose-built for NFL games outside of the US, with bespoke facilities including its own playing surface, locker rooms and media areas.

The first-of-its-kind partnership has already delivered a series of unforgettable games in front of sold-out crowds in Tottenham, with 12 of the league's 32 teams having already experienced the stadium. Two games are set to be played there during the 2023 NFL London Games in October.

"Our partnership with the NFL has been integral to our wider vision for the stadium and delivering a sports and entertainment destination in London. Creating additional recurring sources of revenue to reinvest in our football activities is a key part of the Club's financial model," said Daniel Levy, chairman, Tottenham Hotspur. "NFL gamedays at our stadium are special occasions where we see fans from around the world descend on Tottenham, bringing so much vibrancy to the High Road and supporting our local economy. As the NFL continues to grow its fanbase throughout Europe, we are extremely proud to be given official status as the Home of the NFL in the UK and look forward to seeing the excitement that gamedays bring to Tottenham for many more years to come."

"We are excited to extend our partnership with Tottenham Hotspur through the 2029-2030 season and look forward to hosting future NFL games in the world-class Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, as the Official Home of the NFL in the UK," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "Growing the game globally is a major strategic priority for the League. Our commitment to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will allow us to continue to bring extraordinary NFL experiences to fans in London, while creating a positive social and economic impact on the local community."

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "London is the sporting capital of the world and this expanded partnership between Tottenham Hotspur and NFL is fantastic news for Tottenham and our city. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has fast become a beacon for world-class football and entertainment, boosting London's local economy by over £300m every year. With further NFL matches taking place at the stadium, sports fans everywhere will be able to enjoy even more of what our great capital has to offer."

Memorable events have included live halftime shows from some of the biggest stars in music, pyrotechnics, military flyovers and even the US national anthem performed on top of the stadium's roof.

Many of the activations enjoyed by fans in and around the stadium on gamedays are delivered by local people as the NFL has embraced the community of Tottenham. It is an example of the wider community benefits delivered through the stadium development, that has created more than 4,000 jobs for local people to date.

Through staging major events such as NFL, boxing, rugby and concerts, as well as Premier League football and additional Visitor Attractions, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has become a new sports and entertainment destination for London, bringing a boost of circa £344m to the local economy every year. The stadium has been included as one of 10 host venues for the UK & Ireland's joint bid to host UEFA EURO 2028.

The new audience that NFL brings to Tottenham on gamedays has provided huge footfall for local independent businesses along the High Road.

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has also hosted additional NFL events, including:

• An NFL Foundation UK community event delivered in partnership with Tottenham Hotspur and Nike, giving local young people the opportunity to take part in football and NFL flag football activities alongside expert coaches.
  • The Miami Dolphins made their sixth-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft live from Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, with actors from the cast of the TV show "Ted Lasso" announcing their selection.
  • The NFL Academy Combine, where young players from across the UK showcased football skills, with the ambition to join the NFL Academy program. The Academy provides talented students with pathways into employment, education and scholarship opportunities in NCAA college football in the US.
  • The NFL International Combine, where talented player prospects from more than 12 countries are identified as part of the NFL International Player Pathway program.
The expanded partnership will see further plans for joint community programs developed.

Interesting situation at the end of the Saints v Cardinals game. Saints were hammering them and instead of just taking a knee to see out the game when in possession they chose to go for another touchdown and rack up the score further. The Cardinals coach was livid and confronted the Saints coach at the end.

I’m in 2 minds about this, I think that’s poor form in youth games where there could be a big gap in quality so no need to rub people’s noses in it, but for the pro game I think it’s a bit different, you’ve just got to suck it up if someone’s hammering you, like we do in proper football.

Interesting situation at the end of the Saints v Cardinals game. Saints were hammering them and instead of just taking a knee to see out the game when in possession they chose to go for another touchdown and rack up the score further. The Cardinals coach was livid and confronted the Saints coach at the end.

I’m in 2 minds about this, I think that’s poor form in youth games where there could be a big gap in quality so no need to rub people’s noses in it, but for the pro game I think it’s a bit different, you’ve just got to suck it up if someone’s hammering you, like we do in proper football.

Completely agree, in real sport there is no need for it.

In professional sport, tighten the screw at every opportunity.

I wouldn’t have wasted that play and got it on film in that situation though, that could come off at 1st half end in certain situations.

Thank for everything Pete Carroll.....

A coach that gave everything and, like Poch and Ange...knew that players are people first.

I hope I have his energy when I'm in my 70s

Another year without a Super Bowl for the cowboys. Why exactly are they still highly touted? Haven’t won it since 1995.

The Spurs of the NFL, huge team, always have stand out players, incredible stadium, rich history, always on the cusp of doing something brilliant, always bottle it.

I felt sick watching that last night, I love NFL, I love the Cowboys, but I also hate the fudging Cowboys and am never watching another NFL game in my life.

I’m hoping Baltimore make the Super Bowl as I’m vaguely aware of what Jackson does and rarely get much chance to see any of it.

Green Bay will be looking for a new place kicker after Anders Noodleleg - multiple misses on TD conversions this year - whiffs on a simple 41 field goal that could have given the Packers a seven point lead late in the fourth quarter. He misses, San Fran drives and scores a touchdown for a three point victory.

Since limp-legged Anders Carlson can't consistently swing a good boot, he'll be getting the boot. It's a results oriented business.

'Ahh, Mister Kane. Happy to welcome you to tryout camp.'

Green Bay will be looking for a new place kicker after Anders Noodleleg - multiple misses on TD conversions this year - whiffs on a simple 41 field goal that could have given the Packers a seven point lead late in the fourth quarter. He misses, San Fran drives and scores a touchdown for a three point victory.

Since limp-legged Anders Carlson can't consistently swing a good boot, he'll be getting the boot. It's a results oriented business.

'Ahh, Mister Kane. Happy to welcome you to tryout camp.

I’d sooner try him as a defensive linesman than let him take free kicks.

The Spurs of the NFL, huge team, always have stand out players, incredible stadium, rich history, always on the cusp of doing something brilliant, always bottle it.

I felt sick watching that last night, I love NFL, I love the Cowboys, but I also hate the fudging Cowboys and am never watching another NFL game in my life.

I’d say the Bills are more like Spurs. 4 straight super bowls in the 90s and lost all of them.

The Cowboys are more akin to Liverpool. Had their heyday decades ago but still get talked about as if they are the best team. They can’t still be known as “americas team” when they’ve not won it in more than 30 years surely? The patriots have won it 6 times since the Cowboys last won it. The Ravens, Buccaneers, Rams, Chiefs, Broncos, Giants, Packers and Steelers have also won it more than once since Dallas won it last.

I’d say the Bills are more like Spurs. 4 straight super bowls in the 90s and lost all of them.

The Cowboys are more akin to Liverpool. Had their heyday decades ago but still get talked about as if they are the best team. They can’t still be known as “americas team” when they’ve not won it in more than 30 years surely? The patriots have won it 6 times since the Cowboys last won it. The Ravens, Buccaneers, Rams, Chiefs, Broncos, Giants, Packers and Steelers have also won it more than once since Dallas won it last.

Marv levy, a man born to a spurs supporter.

Back