• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The new, new manager thread - Pt 3

I hate to put a damper on things, but I simply don't see how appointing a manager with a 1.39 Points per Game Premier League record is a vast improvement on the bloke we just fired, who had a 1.95 Points per Game Premier League record.

Or am I missing something?

As per usual, context.

Well, I've said it before, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this appointment and I maintain my view he'll have been sacked by November 2015 and the whole circus will start again. Hope I'm wrong. If he's appointed he'll get my support. COYS.

Well, I've said it before, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this appointment and I maintain my view he'll have been sacked by November 2015 and the whole circus will start again. Hope I'm wrong. If he's appointed he'll get my support. COYS.

Why underwhelmed, were not a top top club, I think its time a large majority of our fans actually realised this and lowered their expectation levels

Why underwhelmed, were not a top top club, I think its time a large majority of our fans actually realised this and lowered their expectation levels

Personally I feel like pochettino will be avb mk2. Which makes me feel that we could have saved ourselves a lot of bother b sticking with avb

I agree to an extent but with second highest season ticket prices in the world I'd expect someone with a bit more experience in the English league tbh.

Personally I feel like pochettino will be avb mk2. Which makes me feel that we could have saved ourselves a lot of bother b sticking with avb
On what basis? His style of play is different to AVB and his personality seems very different too. Is it because he's young and foreign?

He will not be avb Mk 2 as the two managers are not that similar at all but I too share a little dissapointment that we are not going for a proven winner with that all important winning mentality :(

Pach will get my support though IF he is appointed but I cant say I think it's the right choice

He did not say he wanted jose mourinhio though he just that he isnt overly enthused with patch I share he's view but do not expect us to win the title next year ?

Another thing that bothers me about patch is that and i stand to be corrected has he ever stayed at a club longer than 1.5/ 2 years seems like he is trying to fast track to the top ?

My concern isn't that he isn't a top 4 manager - I've long said that our 'hire 'em, fire 'em' approach to managerial recruitment over the past decade means we'll struggle to attract a manager who might be perceived as 'top notch'.
My concern with Pochettino is that he's being recruited in large part because his teams play a certain way. Entertaining football they say. I have followed Spurs through thick and thin since the 70s and I'd like to see us start winning consistently, even if it means winning ugly. We haven't played 'the Tottenham way' save for the odd season here or there for decades.
I fear Pochettino has come into Southampton following an apparently average spell at Espanyol and successfully turned them into the best of the third tier teams (the top tier being the top 4 and the second tier being the perennial Europa League place teams). But managing our present squad of more experienced players to the satisfaction of one of the most impatient Chairmen and some of the most fickle fans in the Prem is, I'd suggest, a very different game. It might be he can do it. Hope so.
Afterall, I was pro AVB because I liked his 'vision'. Shows what I know.
Come on Poch, prove me wrong.
COYS.

Last edited:
He did not say he wanted jose mourinhio though he just that he isnt overly enthused with patch I share he's view but do not expect us to win the title next year ?

Another thing that bothers me about patch is that and i stand to be corrected has he ever stayed at a club longer than 1.5/ 2 years seems like he is trying to fast track to the top ?

He's had two managerial jobs - left Espanyol because they sold all their best players and replaced them with aging journeymen and freebies (from what i have read) and now has 'potentially' left SCBC because we've come in with a good offer.

I don't think that's setting much of a trend

My concern isn't that he isn't a top 4 manager - I've long said that our 'hire 'em, fire 'em' approach to managerial recruitment over the past decade means we'll struggle to attract a manager who might be perceived as 'top notch'.
My concern with Pochettino is that he's being recruited in large part because his teams play a certain way. Entertaining football they say. I have followed Spurs through thick and thin since the 70s and I'd like to see us start winning consistently, even if it means winning ugly. We haven't played 'the Tottenham way' save for the odd season here or there for decades.
I fear Pochettino has come into Southampton following an apparently average spell at Espanyol and successfully turned them into the best of the third tier teams (the top tier being the top 4 and the second tier being the perennial Europa League place teams). But managing our present squad of more experienced players to the satisfaction of one of the most impatient Chairmen and some of the most fickle fans in the Prem is, I'd suggest, a very different game. It might be he can do it. Hope so.
COYS.

Exactly this. Good post

COYS.

Which top notch candidate do you think we should appoint?

Which top notch candidate do you think we should appoint?

Read my post. I am saying that our recent track record with signings means we can't expect to attract a top notch manager. The idea we might bring in an Ancelotti is, in my view, farcical.

Benitez for one proven winner.

So, let's say that Benitez would leave a 3rd placed and Champions League qualified Napoli, who are backing him with significant finances and major signings, for us, which I don't think he would.

What makes you think he'd repeat his formula at Spurs? His formula seems to be to me that he rocks up at a massive club, spends a tonne of money and then wins cups but comes up short in the league.

Everywhere Benitez has been he has demanded huge transfer outlays on players.

He's stubborn and argumentative.

He would be an absolute disaster at Spurs, i'm sure of it. I think him and Levy probably wouldn't be on speaking terms within a couple of weeks.

I must admit to not being very excited at the prospect of Pochettino' imminent signing either but Bankrupt does make quite a persuasive argument in favour of Poch, well the analogy he used in the conclusion amused me anyway :D

[tweet]470981696855478272[/tweet]

@bankruptspurs: So, I wrote some stuff about Levy, Pochettino and what is going on at Spurs... http://bankruptspurs.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/levy-and-learning-to-love-poch/
I’m somewhat surprised at the level of indifference or hostility that has greeted the prospect of Mauricio Pochettino being the next Spurs manager. The only way I can rationalise it is by making this analogy…

You are an adolescent boy, desperate to find love. Mauricio Pochettino is the girl-next-door – familiar to the point where you tend to overlook quite how attractive she is. OK, at a glance her face may look a bit plain, but her bone structure is good, everything is where it should be, and to be fair she hasn’t really had any top level make-up to work with yet.

Carlo Ancelotti is the supermodel whose poster you have on your bedroom wall – completely unattainable, yet you still hold fantasies about somehow, someday being with her, to the point where you are prepared to turn your nose up at real opportunities for love with real girls. As if that alone didn’t make saving yourself for her unrealistic enough, she’s also currently dating a movie star who has just won his 10th Oscar.

Frank De Boer is the lass with a bit of a ‘reputation’ who hangs around behind the bike sheds – never shy of talking herself up, she’s pretty much a sure thing, but there’s this nagging feeling that it wouldn’t be long term: she’d quickly move on once she’d had her way with you, or you’d decide it wasn’t really fulfilling and end things by mutual consent with a legally-binding non-disclosure agreement and a £3million pay off.

Then there’s Rafa Benitez, your hot cousin. If she wasn’t tainted by being so closely associated with another family not a million miles from your own, you probably wouldn’t say no. But, as it stands, it would surely feel wrong, and you’d be worried about what people would say. Also, the genetics are a bit risky, so your kids may end up looking like Dirk Kuyt.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of teen movies can see that your best bet is the girl next door. She’ll end up scrubbing up well for the prom, and when the school uber-jock muscles in to dance with her, you’ll suddenly realise that you loved her all along. The sooner we Spurs fans accept and embrace that Pochettino is ‘the one’, the sooner we can stroll off into the sunset and live happily ever after. For 18 months.

So, let's say that Benitez would leave a 3rd placed and Champions League qualified Napoli, who are backing him with significant finances and major signings, for us, which I don't think he would.

What makes you think he'd repeat his formula at Spurs? His formula seems to be to me that he rocks up at a massive club, spends a tonne of money and then wins cups but comes up short in the league.

Everywhere Benitez has been he has demanded huge transfer outlays on players.

He's stubborn and argumentative.

He would be an absolute disaster at Spurs, i'm sure of it. I think him and Levy probably wouldn't be on speaking terms within a couple of weeks.

So you think alternatively we should accept that our chairman wants to go with a bloke who barely speaks English and across his whole management career has lost more games than he's lost?

Back