• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Most Wasted Transfer Fees Ever!!!

What about extending this to managers. The amount of money spent to prise them away only to sack them...(sometimes justifiably)

AVB?
Juande Ramos?

CFC surely must be the worst at this, Ranieri, Scolari, Ancelotti, Jose, AVB....

Sorry mate, you're talking nonsense. Crouch was an integral part of a team that finished 4th and 5th. And we really could do have done with him as an alternative this season too. A bad purchase he was not. He was certainly a lot better than Pav for example, and cost less and yet Pav isn't even on your list?!

And didn't we sell him for more than we paid?

Gianluigi Lentini. Was signed by AC Milan for ?ú13m....in 1992 (!!!).

His career was threatened by a serious car injury, he never really came back after that and he only played 60 games for Milan. That's a whopping ?ú217k pr game.

Palicios at ?ú16m should be up there. Was he ever anywhere near a ?ú16m player?

I thought Palacios was bought and sold for ?ú12m. He was absolutely necessary when we signed him, and fantastic for a good while. Remember when we were so worried about him getting a 10th yellow of the season and missing the Chelsea game?

Can Lukaku be added to this list or is it too early yet?

That Ibrahimovic transfer to Barcelona. Cost them €49m and Samuel Eto'o. They got €24m back when they sold him, pretty much a loss of 50m.

If there is any sort of relation between cost of player and players ability sure the prize must go to George Weah's 'cousin' who played 20 minutes for Southampton.

There was an article on this theme on the Fox Sports web site recently, and David Bentley was the first name mentioned, so his infamy has even spread to the USA. Jenas also got a mention.

Kaka is a good shout.

Bentley and Rebrov for us, although re-signing Keane ended up being very expensive and very frustrating. A lot of the other players mentioned did a job and we then got most of the fee paid for them back when we sold them. Players like Bent, Palacios and Crouch don't belong on a list like this. Neither does Defoe who has done well and who I'm sure we could still sell and recoup most of the money we paid for him should we wish to.

I think people are way to quick at adding people on a list like this though, players like Henderson, Carroll, Lukaku etc are all young and could still become anything from good to great signings as unlikely as it seems now. Anyone remember how Vidic and Evra were used as examples of why clubs shouldn't buy players in January?

I can not say Crouch was a waste of money because we got most of it back, however he was definitely the worst CF i have seen at the lane since Ian Moores.

You do realise Crouch scored a grand total of 12 goals over the course of 2 seasons and 42 appearances, the vast majority of which he started and completed. That makes him a 1 in 6 goal scorer. How that can be anything other than abject failure I can not comprehend. He wasn't integral, he was a hindrance. If the team had a even semi decent striker instead of the wage their maybe it wouldn't taken till the pentimate game to gain CL and last year if the useless bastard could actually score would have qualified again. 12 fudging goals, jesus!

Pav was no great striker but their records are not all comparable. 42 in 113. 1 in 2.6. If you were to base it on minutes his record would even as Pav was often a very late sub.

Without a doubt Paolo Tramezzani

GHod, he was toilet! Spurs 0 Sheff Wed 3. !st game of the season August 1998. A 'mare. Tramezzanis not so finest hour. The fans were still demonstrating at the club gates at 8.00pm. Christian Gross and his 'aardwerk'. What a turkey. Anther fine selection from Alan Sugar.

Gianluigi Lentini. Was signed by AC Milan for ?ú13m....in 1992 (!!!).

His career was threatened by a serious car injury, he never really came back after that and he only played 60 games for Milan. That's a whopping ?ú217k pr game.

Good call. The problem with a lot of the names in this thread is that the typical fees of the time aren't taken into account. Pre Sky money ?ú13m was huge, in fact the fee for Lentini was a world record at the time.

You do realise Crouch scored a grand total of 12 goals over the course of 2 seasons and 42 appearances, the vast majority of which he started and completed. That makes him a 1 in 6 goal scorer. How that can be anything other than abject failure I can not comprehend. He wasn't integral, he was a hindrance. If the team had a even semi decent striker instead of the wage their maybe it wouldn't taken till the pentimate game to gain CL and last year if the useless bastard could actually score would have qualified again. 12 fudging goals, jesus!

Pav was no great striker but their records are not all comparable. 42 in 113. 1 in 2.6. If you were to base it on minutes his record would even as Pav was often a very late sub.

To be fair Crouch was in the team as a back to goal target man, and therefore was never going to be prolific.

Pav was just brick. I don't care if he scored a goal a game, his all round game was awful and put us under pressure everytime he played.

Back