• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Most Wasted Transfer Fees Ever!!!

I can not say Crouch was a waste of money because we got most of it back, however he was definitely the worst CF i have seen at the lane since Ian Moores.

Really? I know the Ginger Pele was meant to be a CB but I saw him play up front on a number of occasions. Also Andy Booth, Raziak spring to mind and in terms of contributions/ability in a spurs shirt both Zamora and Postigia offered a lot less. And that is with little deep thought about the matter. I disliked Crouch and hated the 'great feet for such a big man' excuse that always protected his inabilities but he wouldn't top my list of worst CF of the last 35 years.

To be fair Crouch was in the team as a back to goal target man, and therefore was never going to be prolific.

Pav was just brick. I don't care if he scored a goal a game, his all round game was awful and put us under pressure everytime he played

And that seems to be the problem with a whole lot of our strikers.

It wasn't as big a problem when every team seemed to play with 2 out and out strikers in 4-4-2 formations.

However few teams do that anymore, and strikers need to adapt.

It's no coincidence that players like Torres, Higuain and others are stuck on benches all around Europe.

You can't have strikers like Pav playing in our formation. You just can't.

You do realise Crouch scored a grand total of 12 goals over the course of 2 seasons and 42 appearances, the vast majority of which he started and completed. That makes him a 1 in 6 goal scorer. How that can be anything other than abject failure I can not comprehend. He wasn't integral, he was a hindrance. If the team had a even semi decent striker instead of the wage their maybe it wouldn't taken till the pentimate game to gain CL and last year if the useless bastard could actually score would have qualified again. 12 fudging goals, jesus!

Pav was no great striker but their records are not all comparable. 42 in 113. 1 in 2.6. If you were to base it on minutes his record would even as Pav was often a very late sub.

Yes, strikers should be judged only on goals scored, nothing else. That makes all kinds of sense... (/sarcasm)

Crouch was a regular for us in the only season we have gotten into the top 4 in 20+ years. He was a regular for us in the CL when we got to the quarter final (where he ballsed it up completely). How any player who was a regular in those two runs could ever be classified as a failure, never mind an abject one is to me completely puzzling.

Would rather have kept Crouch than Pav because unlike Pav he showed that he could form a functioning partnership with both Defoe and VdV. You need options and players that function together.

Agreed. Crouch is an excellent option, the problem was, Harry used him as if he was the ONLY option. I swear if we mixed it up a little we would have been harder to play against. They again, the main alternative was Pav, who was dire for well over half the games he played.

As for the cruicial goals, Crouches ability to be the lone striker was the reason he scored the two most important goals in terms of our CL football. Then again, the prat took it all away with a cheap red card in madrid and an og at City!

Francis Jeffers to arsenal 12mill? Had the pleasure of telling him in a pub he was the most average player I'd ever seen play for le'arse. Don't know if he even did play did he? Just wanted to wind him up

Actually had an excellent goals to games ratio, superb in fact, iirc.

Problem is he had a terrible games to seasons ratio :lol:

To be fair Crouch was in the team as a back to goal target man, and therefore was never going to be prolific.

There is no being fair with Crouch MK, people either get him or they hate him. One of those players.

Personally I found him frustrating at times but always considered him a real asset. Quality player, IMO, but his gangly looks detract from that to such an extent with some people they cannot see it.

Just look at his goal for Stoke the other week - sensational - and had Berbatov scored it there would have been a 10 page thread on here dedicated to wishing his return. As it was Crouch? Barely a mention...

There is no being fair with Crouch MK, people either get him or they hate him. One of those players.

Personally I found him frustrating at times but always considered him a real asset. Quality player, IMO, but his gangly looks detract from that to such an extent with some people they cannot see it.

Just look at his goal for Stoke the other week - sensational - and had Berbatov scored it there would have been a 10 page thread on here dedicated to wishing his return. As it was Crouch? Barely a mention...

More of a failing at a tactical level I think. Whenever we played Crouch he was always our Plan A. We seemed to fall into a hit it into the box and hope mood.

We play far better football without him, though that's not a dig at Crouch, just the mentality we appeared to adopt whenever he was on the pitch.

crouch AND pav did do us good, in the most memorable years so credit where its due...

btw there was a left mid Brazilian recently... screwed it up for us in the euro/CL too.

Gilberto? Did he cost us anything? He was shocking.

ah yes, how did I forget. quick search brought this up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ootballer-Is-Gilberto-Spurs-worst-player.html

[h=1]Brazil finally produce rubbish footballer: Is Gilberto Tottenham's worst ever player?[/h] By Tim Nichols
UPDATED: 19:30 GMT, 19 December 2008

They said it wouldn't happen, but Brazil have finally produced a rubbish footballer.
Step forward Gilberto da Silva Melo - otherwise known as that useless bloke who plays at left-back for Tottenham (when they're desperate).
The guy's so bad you wonder how on earth he's been capped 24 times by Brazil. In fact, he's so bad, you wonder how he ever made it as a professional footballer in the first place.

article-0-02D91C92000005DC-335_468x387.jpg
Gilberto had another shocker as Tottenham struggled against Spartak Moscow
But he has and he did. Mr and Mrs Gilberto have a lot to answer for.
The Brazilian's White Hart Lane debut was a sign of things to come. His dreadful blunder cost Spurs a goal, the game and ultimately the tie against PSV Eindhoven in last year's UEFA Cup.
Three days later he somehow managed to score a goal (no, really). However, his Premier League strike probably said more about the quality of West Ham than his own 'talents'.
Since Damien Comolli made Hertha Berlin an offer they couldn't refuse last January (?ú1.9m for a 31-year-old left-back with six months left on his contract), Gilberto has made six starts and three substitute appearances for Tottenham.

He was so poor in three of his six starts, Juande Ramos and Harry Redknapp hooked him at half-time.

article-0-02D92C80000005DC-106_468x471.jpg
Gilberto can only look down in disappointment as Artem Dzyuba scores for Spartak
Thursday night's horror show is almost certain to be Gilberto's last game for the club with January conveniently just around the corner. Garforth Town will probably be his best bet.
But although the Brazilian's bad, is he Tottenham's worst ever player?
To be fair, there have been plenty of contenders at White Hart Lane - Paolo Tramezzani, Ramon Vega, Jose Dominguez, Jason Dozzell, David Kerslake, Stuart Nethercott, David Tuttle, Andy Booth, Grzegorz Rasiak, Thimothee Atouba, Mitchell Thomas, Dean Austin, Kevin Scott, Moussa Saib ....

Crouch was so frustrating to watch, but his goal against City and his goal against Milan were both enough to make me love him. Pav's goals were good but he was the type of player who would go missing for 88 mins and then show up and score a goal to prove you wrong.

I was at the PSV match that Gilberto ****ed up in... he was awful.

Keane and Chimbonda's second stunts were so terrible. The only good Keane did was score four against recently promoted Burnley. I don't remember Chimbonda doing anything. Ever.

Our signings in 07/08 and 08/09 were awful (apart from Modric of course, he's GHod).

Rebrov, Bentley and Bent would walk this if it were a poll. Bentley by far and away the worst - a true example of a poor professional

Back