• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I'd say we're about the same, and finishing only a point apart confirms that.

What's refreshing, is that we spend significantly less to be on a par with them.

Say we drew against QPR (I always use this example as we should have at least drawn with that 10 man team, or never have conceded that goal), we'd have finished above the scum. Does that make us better than them because we finished above them on GD? I mean, the league doesn't lie, but they can't march round screaming they're better than us when there was only 1 point in it.

You are absolutely dreaming. We seriously do under rate their players. For example, we rave about Sandro and Parker. Both are inferior to Alex Song at the moment. Walker was young player of the year and yet isn't a patch on Sagna. Gallas & King (when fit) are our best two centre halves. Neither are as good as Vermaelen (although both were superior in their prime).

Agree with all of this

To be fair Billy, there is a difference between being defeatist and accepting that certain things cant be defeated as things stand. As long as CFC and Emirates Marketing Project have obscenely rich benefators spunking money at them in the manner that they have done recently, we are always going to struggle.

The only way that we will manage to do so is to find, nurture and keep some amazing world class talent, and strengthen the team that way. As we know, we would then simply end up fighting a rearguard action against agents and the big clubs trying to buy them off us.

Emirates Marketing Project/chelski/anzi/PSG and the two Spanish teams, who also have significant external financial support (as well as political in their case) will continue to offer obscene salaries and pay ludicrous amounts to ringfence the worlds top talent, preventing it being spread around to level the playing field.

I for one am no less committed as a Spurs fan, and as I have said, see every new season as finally being the one where we win the double again, until its an impossibility, but I am realistic enough to look at the squads of the other teams and recognise that we don't have the best team. At best (IMO) we will be fighting for 3/4 slots with Manure, arse and possibly Saudi Sportswashing Machine, if their bubble hasn't burst yet. The battle of the wallets will decide the top slots.

I wouldn't like to think that attitude as defeatist one though.

i agree with what you are saying there Mick but my gripe is when people try to belittle those of us that think we can do better by saying we have our heads in the clouds or are unrealistic, by using our status as the 6th best squad (or more that we have the 6th best resources/are the 6th biggest club etc) in the league to quash any dreams of 3rd (or higher) despite our fantastic start to the season - we didn't fall apart because of some kind of natural result of us playing so well in the first place (to even things out) and some people here like to use that as an excuse as opposed to question the reasons why we did.

we do things well and the players/manager should be praised - we under perform for an extended period then we should look in to why, some people are happy to praise when things are going well but in the reverse seem to be happy to say "oh well we're only Tottenham we don't deserve to be where we were anyway", which i think is not only a poor attitude to have it is also counter productive to moving forward as a team - you need to realize your mistakes to learn from them - if the players/manager share the attitude of some of the supporters on here then they will always crumble away when we start to exceed ourselves.

Last edited:
Winner.

And the reason they score more then us? RVP.

He is currently the difference.

Their defence is better than ours, no doubt about it . Why did they concede more ? Ill tell you. They conceded 49 we conceded 41 . Have to factor in united games and the subsequent ones after until they did their summer business. For those games they were so paper thin with injuries they had to play JENKINSON , KOSCIELNY, SQUILLACI AND TRAORE. Only one of those would get anywhere near their starting 11 . Those 8 goals pretty much take us down to around the same. However when you factor in the fact that they had no full backs for over a month it really becomes apparent.

Also agree with the posts saying we severely underrate their players. Alex song IS better than parker and Sandro , sagna IS better than walker. Koscielny and Vermaelen are better than any of our cbs .

The annoying thing about Arsenal is that they'll always have one amazing player that will tinkle us off. After the days of the Invincibles it was all about Fabregas, and would have been about Van Persie if he wasn't injured. Then Nasri comes along and makes it all look worse. Then once Fabregas and Nasri are both sold Van Persie decides he's not gonna get injured any more. And once he leaves Wheelchair will be amazing and so will Oxlade-Chamberlain.

WE CAN'T WIN!

i wonder why we conceded less than Arsenal if their defense is so much better than ours ?

Nice post to actually highlight how close the squads are. We complained a lot this year about being ravaged by injuries. Arsenal's injuries were far worse, and they rarely managed to play a settled defence. Had Spurs had those sort of injuries we would have been further down the pecking order.......and conceded a lot more goals!

Also I'd say that Arsenal play more open than we do. One thing that Redknapp has managed to achieve at Spurs is that we play really good patient attacking football without sacrificing defensive cover in midfield.

Danny Rose and Martin Fulop were the difference between us and third this season. We got ourselves into the awesome position of only needing to keep 11 men on the pitch against Villa or hoping that the worst goalkeeping display in 10 years didn't happen. Well, by some miracle of statistical improbability, we came out the wrong side of both of those. Not in a million years should both of those things happen. We were better than those qunts last year.

The gap closed this year, but not because we were better. It is the worse Arsenal squad there has been for years.

Even though Wenger is past his best, he is still a much better manager than Redkanpp and that saw them through.

We were not unlucky with Danny Rose - it was sloppy management from Harry that meant a sub standard player like that was on the pitch.

Should and could have been easily avoided.

The gap closed this year, but not because we were better. It is the worse Arsenal squad there has been for years.

Even though Wenger is past his best, he is still a much better manager than Redkanpp and that saw them through.

We were not unlucky with Danny Rose - it was sloppy management from Harry that meant a sub standard player like that was on the pitch.

Should and could have been easily avoided.

Only partially true. I blame Harry for many things, but not taking the long-term view in this case. Naughton can cover both flanks, and he's coming back next year. Having him, BAE, Rose AND a new full-back signed for the second half of the same, come the summer, would have been both overkill and a waste of money considering the loss we'd then take on Rose, who in all likelihood wouldn't get a game at all. As it stands, we can legitimately demand somewhere in the region of 5-6 million quid, based on PL appearances and overall competence( barely, but still). With a new LB cramming the ranks even further, by this summer we'd be hakwing his for six-figure sums.

So yeah, that Rose thing wasn't really Hary's fault. He took a risk by relying on BAE and Walker not getting injured too much, but it was justified by Naughton's imminent return.

No, I blame Harry for getting us into the situation where we needed a win to leapfrog Arsenal into third plae after being 13 points clear of them at one stage.

Should and could have been easily avoided

I wonder if you thought that a couple of season's ago when Rose scored against Arsenal....from left back.

I wonder if you thought that a couple of season's ago when Rose scored against Arsenal....from left back.

By this comment, do you mean he played left back this game? Because he wasn't.. or do you mean from the position on the pitch, which in that case, he still wasn't..

Momentary moments of genius and momentary moments of madness cannot be what you define a player by.

That said i haven't been particularly impressed by Rose as a LB..

I don't rate him either but I think it's very unfair that he has been made a spacegoat. It's funny how Managers get bashed for not playing younger players or giving them a chance. And yet when they do, they get bashed if they aren't good enough :rolleyes:

By this comment, do you mean he played left back this game? Because he wasn't.. or do you mean from the position on the pitch, which in that case, he still wasn't..

Rose played left back against Arsenal when he hit his wonder goal didn't he? And he stayed back (as full backs usually do) from the corner that got cleared for him to volley. I'll stand corrected if he didn't play left back. I did have a nagging feeling he may have played right wing.

Rose played left back against Arsenal when he hit his wonder goal didn't he? And he stayed back (as full backs usually do) from the corner that got cleared for him to volley. I'll stand corrected if he didn't play left back. I did have a nagging feeling he may have played right wing.

No, he played right wing that game. Ekotto played at left back and put in a brilliant performance. He was just standing on the left side for the corner, probably because he is left footed and hoped if it'd come back to him, he'd get it back in, turns out he thought he'd volley it in instead.

I don't rate him either but I think it's very unfair that he has been made a spacegoat. It's funny how Managers get bashed for not playing younger players or giving them a chance. And yet when they do, they get bashed if they aren't good enough :rolleyes:

I know, you could probably go back through the season and find something done by every single player within our squad that 'could have' gained us that extra point to finish third.

It's just that people tend to focus on the more recent ones.

No, he played right wing that game. Ekotto played at left back and put in a brilliant performance. He was just standing on the left side for the corner, probably because he is left footed and hoped if it'd come back to him, he'd get it back in, turns out he thought he'd volley it in instead.

Yep, seem to remember 'Arry in the pre-match interview almost letting it slip that Rose has a great shot with his left foot and just about catching himself.

i agree with what you are saying there Mick but my gripe is when people try to belittle those of us that think we can do better by saying we have our heads in the clouds or are unrealistic, by using our status as the 6th best squad (or more that we have the 6th best resources/are the 6th biggest club etc) in the league to quash any dreams of 3rd (or higher) despite our fantastic start to the season - we didn't fall apart because of some kind of natural result of us playing so well in the first place (to even things out) and some people here like to use that as an excuse as opposed to question the reasons why we did.

we do things well and the players/manager should be praised - we under perform for an extended period then we should look in to why, some people are happy to praise when things are going well but in the reverse seem to be happy to say "oh well we're only Tottenham we don't deserve to be where we were anyway", which i think is not only a poor attitude to have it is also counter productive to moving forward as a team - you need to realize your mistakes to learn from them - if the players/manager share the attitude of some of the supporters on here then they will always crumble away when we start to exceed ourselves.

I would have thought that the one thing that pretty much all of us understand is that the slump in form happened because the club was undermined by the speculation about us losing our manager.

The things that there is a raging debate over is whether HR is entirely to blame, which some of us think is ludicrous, or whether it was something that badly affected the morale and concentration of the players. Or a bit of both.

I think only a fool or a rabid gooner would have said that the slump in form would have happened anyway (I think some of the results would, because its only natural) and one of the other points made were that the results in themselves weren't that apalling in that some were bad luck and in the majority of cases down to us not taking advantage of massive superiority in the games.

IF we can keep our best players, and buy better replacements than the ones we retire or sell on, then I see no reason why we cannot replicate the form and results structure of the better part of our season (just gone) unless all of the clubs we are competing with also improve their squads by a larger degree, which in Chelskis case is highly likely.

As treasonous as it is to suggest. I hope King retires. Continually trying to rely on him now is a bad mistake, IMV. He may have been talismanic when he wasfitter but age and his knees have done him in now, and we need (Vertonghen?) a calibre player to replace him, and Kaboul to stay on as well.

Back