• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Re: Would our neighbors be better off without Wenger?

They've not been the same since they got rid of Bruce Rioch.

Now before anyone says I'm not saying that its a foregone conclusion that we'll finish above Arsenal, although I'm hopefuly we will at the same time I believe we won't.

But even if we don't I still think Arsenal would be much better off without Wenger. He literally has lost his touch a lot and I believe our best chance of finishing above them is with him in charge. Also, I think that for what ever reason he doesn't spend as much as he could do and that another manager would take the spend, spend, spend approach.

If they drop out of CL and we take their spot, they might not get it back for a long time.

Not so certain abut that, the 2005-06 season still gets me, if we'd not been so unlucky on that horrible day we would've fudged them over big time. They would've had no more Champions League revenue and a massive debt to pay for a stadium. Think right now we'd be talking about Arsenals inability to finish above us rather than the other way round.

The more I think about it, I think they would be better off with someone else (GHod forbid Guardiola!!)

If you look at his striker purchases they have been getting progressively worse, and also if you look at the prized assets they have at their dispoal to cash in on (e.g. Fab, Adebayor, Nasri, RVP etc) who is their prozed asset this year?

Let's look at the strikers purchased; in my opinion the last really good one was arguably Arshavin (for a while), though if you look at the prices paid I'd say Eduardo was the last really good striker buy:

Summer 07 - Eduardo 8M (Hit)
Jan 09 - Arshavin 15M UP FRONT DUE TO DESPARTATION (Hit, initially)
Summer 10 - Chamakh Free (Flop)
Summer 11 - Gervinho 11M (Flop)
- Park (LOL!!! Remember him??)
Summer 12 - Podolski 11M (jury still out, probably not as good as RVP or Eduardo)
- Giroud 13M (jury still out, probabaly not as good as RVP and on the ground culd be considered un-Arsenal like as his touch and pace are quite poor)

So his value for money is actually getting worse in probably the most important area to spend your money on (and Arsenal don't spend willy-nilly so they have to get these right).

So in short they would be better off long-term without Wenger.

Doesn't mean they cannot/will not finish above us though, sadly....

Last edited:

I can tell you now without the aid of any jury that podolski and giroud are not fit to lace RVP's boots! Though they are decent players, I much prefer ade and Defoe to those 2.

funny-aa9f713a29563245ddce484115a9049e_h.jpg

Gervinho according to Arsenal fans. Gotta love their current state of misery. :lol:

Whatever we think doesn't mean brick until we finish above them. Or perhaps win an FA cup. or both.

Spot on. I hope the next the time we play them that everybody associated with the club shuts the fudge up in the press in the week of the game. It's like they take it in turns to proclaim that we've got the better squad.

Whatever we think doesn't mean brick until we finish above them. Or perhaps win an FA cup. or both.

I have thought for a long time that we think too much about them, when we were not as good as them we had a go at them with nothing to lose and since we have been on a par or better we have tended to freeze, if Wenger were to leave I think they would go backwards.
it seems to me the owners are not making money available to him, we are in a good place at present.

I was amazed that Wenger said that he wouldn't swap places with Emirates Marketing Project. Surely there must have been a quote taken out of context? Unless he views the Champions League as the big trophy and wants to put his all in to that trophy.

Why would any manager not want his side to be higher in the league? Sure he can believe that they will climb the table from here and finish the season strongly BUT why would you not want to be higher in the league now?

Weird.

I was half right. Was about the Champions League. I do think with Arsenal likely to be knocked out soon that attention will quickly turn to the Premier League results and unless he starts achieving with the club soon then he could find the team out of the CL, too far behind in the Premier League and with a season over before we reach March; all premature thinking at this stage though.

For the first time in many years I can watch Arsenal and know at the present time we are the better team.
We have been a better team than Arsenal for some time. We now have a better manager than HR and RVP has moved on.

Bet your house we will finish above them this term.

(But don't expect compensation from me like those recorded phone calls say you can get from the banks!)

I was half right. Was about the Champions League. I do think with Arsenal likely to be knocked out soon that attention will quickly turn to the Premier League results and unless he starts achieving with the club soon then he could find the team out of the CL, too far behind in the Premier League and with a season over before we reach March; all premature thinking at this stage though.

This sounds eerily familiar.

Arsenal wage bill £143m. Bayern wage bill €165m.

There has been reports recently that they've started to offer players lower basic wages and more bonus payments instead. I think they've finally realised that CL football won't last forever. Plus they're massively overpaying their youngsters and squad players.

Back