• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

They're also only 7 points ahead of the the relegation fight in the bottom 7. Here's hoping someone can spring a surprise in the upcoming Arsenal fixtures.

They don't have a gem in their team though people, Van Persie literally carried them into the CL last season.
Who's going to that this time around?

The difference between Arsenal this season and previous years is that there aren't any genuinely world class players in their squad any more. There's a few with the potential to be - Cazorla, Wheelchair, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc, but I don't think any of them are at the top level yet. Much of their squad is full of players who are outstanding on their day and absolute dogbrick when confidence is low, see Walcott, Gervinho, Giroud, Podolski, Ramsey, Arshavin etc.

The point is, the likes of Henry, Fabregas and Van Persie not only had the fighting spirit to put in big performances even when the team had been playing badly, but the fact that they could produce moments of brilliance to win matches meant they could pick up points even when the team in general was playing badly, which in turn would restore confidence to the squad with an important win. I'm looking at their current squad and wondering who has it in them to inspire them to come back from being off the pace for a Champions League spot the way Henry did in the 05/06 season, the way Fabregas did in the 08/09 season and the way Van Persie did last season.

What will probably work out well for them though, is that they have a relatively easy run of games coming up. Yeah yeah, there's no easy games in this league, but these are easier than most:

West Brom (H) - WBA have done well this year, but their form has dipped and you'd expect Arsenal to beat them at home
Reading (A) - Arsenal scored 7 last time they played at the Madejski, Reading's defence is absolute brick and again, you'd expect Arsenal to win
Wigan (A) - Martinez is a top manager and good in the big games, but still, Arsenal will be favourites again
West Ham (H) - Arsenal have already beaten them at Upton Park this season, at home you'd think Arsenal will win again
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H) - Saudi Sportswashing Machine are having a poor season and have a lot of players out injured. At home you'd expect Arsenal to win
Southampton (A) - Southampton have got some good attacking players but they're suspect at the back, a very winnable game for Arsenal once again.

If they're way off the pace after that run of fixtures then I think it might be time to start getting excited, but after a run like that they should go into the January transfer window either in the top 4 or at least very close to it.

We more than most teams should know that it is in these supposedly easy games, that the nasty surprises tend to happen. I can see them dropping points in at least two maybe three of these games. Wigan (a), West Ham (h) and Saints (a).

Here's hoping anyway!

Re: Would our neighbors be better off without Wenger?

What exactly does moving Wenger upstairs involve? Because any manager of any stature is going to want 100% control of the team without Wenger haunting the shadows. (Not a Hank Marvin reference).

I'm trying to think of an example where moving a long standing manager upstairs has worked.

Cruyff at Barca, although it may have been coincidence rather than anything he did

Can't really comment until we finish above them, in consecutive seasons, at that.!
It makes us look small time especially after last seasons capitulation.

Can't really comment until we finish above them, in consecutive seasons, at that.!
It makes us look small time especially after last seasons capitulation.

If a different question was asked, maybe.

This one is just an opinion based on their performances, signings, protests by their fans. They will get results and do ok but it says a lot that their ambitions have moved from 1st/2nd to finishing 4th. Maybe he's not being given the backing, maybe he's not using the backing... and in that case, would they be better off with someone else.

What will probably work out well for them though, is that they have a relatively easy run of games coming up. Yeah yeah, there's no easy games in this league, but these are easier than most:

West Brom (H) - WBA have done well this year, but their form has dipped and you'd expect Arsenal to beat them at home
Reading (A) - Arsenal scored 7 last time they played at the Madejski, Reading's defence is absolute brick and again, you'd expect Arsenal to win
Wigan (A) - Martinez is a top manager and good in the big games, but still, Arsenal will be favourites again
West Ham (H) - Arsenal have already beaten them at Upton Park this season, at home you'd think Arsenal will win again
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H) - Saudi Sportswashing Machine are having a poor season and have a lot of players out injured. At home you'd expect Arsenal to win
Southampton (A) - Southampton have got some good attacking players but they're suspect at the back, a very winnable game for Arsenal once again.

If they're way off the pace after that run of fixtures then I think it might be time to start getting excited, but after a run like that they should go into the January transfer window either in the top 4 or at least very close to it.

really they should be unbeaten in that run, winning 4 or 5.

let's see where we all are after Christmas...

i don't like wenger but u have to give him some credit, he's done very well since they moved into their home. he's has spent money but nothing like city, utd, chelsea or Liverpool yet they finish top 4. im glad arsenal have the boardroom fighting cos if they had given wenger some real money he wud of won a lot more

I said yes, I think his stubborn refusal to buy the types of players that Arsenal so desperately need is seriously holding them back. Whilst I think it's admirable that he chooses to try and develop youngsters rather than buy established star players, there needs to be a balance. For a team like them, with a big fanbase and a 60,000 seat stadium, playing in the champions league every year, it's scandalous that they are unable to compete at the very highest level. I reckon if somebody else came in with a decent pedigree, they'd do a better job. They might not have the same knack for spotting talent, or be as good tactically, but I'm sure they'd make up for that with spending money, even if it's only short-term success.

Made a comparison graph for Arsenal as well:

fixturecomparisoncharta.jpg

So no they won't, but if they were interested in the long term interest of the club, Wenger would go, as would some members of the board.

While everyone on this board does the usual, lets wait until we finish above them before saying anything against Wenger, reality is, he and the club have been on the downward slide for some time now.

- Finishing above Spurs means nothing (besides aggravating us), fact is, the Scum have had an established manager for 15 years, a set style of play, a decade of CL experience, a very high wage bill and up until recently a few World Class players in the side.
- Reality is, if RVP played for Tottenham last year, we could have probably won the title with Redknapp, Wenger managed (with a lot of luck, including a keeper making three mistakes in the same game) to better us by 1 point.
- At his best, he never had a plan B, now he has deity status, the board is obviously not interested in anything beyond consistent CL at lowest possible re-investment, he has lost the plot/time is up/whatever.

Problem for the Scum is Wenger is respected, players will come to play for him, the club is his system, he has experience in EPL/CL/etc. as well as understanding the clubs current expenditure policy.

Any new manager has a ton of areas to address, is unlikely to either get that kind of funds, or is unlikely to outspend the Manchester sides, will get a step backward and the Scum probably can't afford it. If they drop out of CL and we take their spot, they might not get it back for a long time.

Back