• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Well as we know Stop! Hammer time, but I really do not see the hype about Mason at all. I think a lot of it ( not saying you do) is because he is home grown but at the end of the day the most important thing is the ability and I have not seen a lot from him ( yet).

As I have said elsewhere I hope/think that Poch will improve our CM in the summer and if he does some will have to leave, for me it would be Mason/ Bentaleb but we shall see.

I think along with a striker it's an area we need more cover in and agree

I just don't see Henderson as suitable cover or an upgrade

I don't know who we will sign personally but can see us getting at least 3 players in

Difficult to know where to improve our team, but better back ups are needed for CF and DM. Those two positions should be our priority IMO. The Dembele lad would be one - maybe Berahino or Batyboy. Wanyama or the Leicester Dynamo would be excellent additions too and stop Wenger getting them!
You find it difficult to find where to improve the team? Lol. It's not like we are on par with Barcelona! We're not even the best team in the league (yet)! We can be improved in every position. As a unit, I think we are not far from as good as it gets. Individually we're some way of the best teams. That means that we need better players to improve much. The problem is getting them. Just wish we'd move into the new stadium next season. CL and a big new stadium could have been the final selling point to attract some big guns.

I think along with a striker it's an area we need more cover in and agree

I just don't see Henderson as suitable cover or an upgrade

I don't know who we will sign personally but can see us getting at least 3 players in

We definitely need a backup striker. And, if Dominic Ball doesn't prove adequate, we definitely need a backup for Dier as well. But beyond that, where do we need to strengthen via incoming transfers?

I've thought about it long and hard, and I'm not convinced that we need more than those two positions filled. We could perhaps do with another B2B midfielder to take up the slack when Dembele's out...but we have a *lot* of options as it is, with Bentaleb, Carroll, Winks and Onomah all capable of playing there, not to mention Alli (who we're presently playing further forward). Academy-wise, our 4th CB option (at present filled by Fazio, but he's likely gone) could easily be CCV if the talk of him being seriously talented is accurate: and, behind CCV, we have a bunch of youth talents both in defense (with KWP being the apparent pick of the bunch) and midfield (Edwards, for example) a couple of good years away from challenging for a spot in the 25-man squad.

Now, I'm entirely of the opinion that the striker and back-up for Dier that we do need to buy should be players with impressive records for clubs of roughly similar stature to our own, who can improve the side as a whole and provide serious alternatives to Kane and Eric: going for the expensive, proven option there is what I'd like to see us do, since we'll be able to generate more money via sales in the summer and (hopefully, fingers crossed) CL football can help us lure players with bigger profiles than the ones we tend to go for.

But beyond that, unless the buys are either enormously talented youngsters with higher ceilings than the ones we already have (Tielemans, perhaps) or cheap diamond-in-the-rough types like Alli and Dier, I think we don't need to buy anyone, really.

In fact, thinking about the Dier backup/second B2B midfielder requirement, we might be able to get away with combining both into one if we can find a player who's both adept at counter-pressing and retaining the ball under pressure while taking it forward (i.e, Dembele), and capable of dropping between the two CBs, spreading play and making interceptions (a la Dier). A couple of those do spring to mind: Saul Niguez, for example, who plays for Atletico, is that type of player. Relentless, combative central midfielder who makes a lot of interceptions/tackles, and is defensively adept (by virtue of his time spent playing at centre-back for Rayo Vallecano a couple of seasons ago) but also great on the ball with a good pass on him. Only 21, too, and he's been vital to Simeone's high-pressure system this season.

Problem is, he apparently wants to stay at Atletico until he keels over, and they're rushing to offer him a new contract (since his current one has a release clause of only 24 million euros). Another option could be Riechedly Bazoer, the young Ajax midfielder: he also started out as a centre-back, so he also has defensive prowess to accompany his B2B skills (and he has everything in his locker: pace, power, strength, aerial ability, dribbling, passing, the lot). The problem with him is that firstly, he's already apparently got a clear career plan: he wants to be at Barca in three or so years, and has been coordinating that plan with both Ajax and Barca, meaning the prospect of him leaving Ajax is slim, and him staying here past a couple of years is equally improbable even if he did arrive. Plus, apparently he's confident in his own abilities to the point of ignoring tactical instructions and arguing with his coaches if he feels they're wrong, and that might not go down too well with Poch.

A third option could be Granit Xhaka, at Borussia Monchengladbach: again, he's combative (throws himself into tackles, is strong, is taller than Dier and wins his fair share of aerial challenges), great on the ball (especially when it comes to long passes) and routinely alternates between pressing high up the field and dropping in between the two CBs during moves. He's also a leader (captain of his side at the age of 23), and his work ethic would fit well with our lads. Problem with him is, apparently Arsenal have already talked to his dad, and (if Sky Sports Germany are to be believed) are lining up a 30 million-quid bid for his services. If he's the one we want, we'll need to move quickly, since this isn't the only report of interest in the lad (City apparently also want him, as do Bayern). He also isn't the fastest player, and he's a bit of a red-card magnet: six in just two seasons.

Overall, the fact that these players who combine defensive and offensive abilities are so rare is what makes them so valued: but if we want to solve two problems with one solution, this is the way we should go, imo. That way, we get back-up for Dier who can also play alongside him if necessary (and, alternately, play alongside Dembele if Dier's out) and strengthens our side, while also leaving enough midfield slots open for youngsters from the academy to be put into the squad and given the feeling that there is a firm pathway from academy to the first eleven for them if they're good enough.

I think Arsenal see Elmany as their defensive answer going forward hence why he is playing more now and low and behold they look a bit better

I'm sure with the team we have in place behind the scenes they will know of options in every position including ones their happy with just in case - it's the way we're set up now and feels much more organised and in control

You find it difficult to find where to improve the team? Lol. It's not like we are on par with Barcelona! We're not even the best team in the league (yet)! We can be improved in every position. As a unit, I think we are not far from as good as it gets. Individually we're some way of the best teams. That means that we need better players to improve much. The problem is getting them. Just wish we'd move into the new stadium next season. CL and a big new stadium could have been the final selling point to attract some big guns.

I perhaps should have qualified my statement by saying it won't be easy to improve on our first team - within our budget parameters. Can you really see Levy/Poch or whoever is ultimately responsible for transfers spending £30m plus on a player? Given that constraint, I think yes we will find it difficult to upgrade on our existing first team. It is only when we can buy the finished article that we will improve on our first team. As you say, we aren't in that position yet.

I think we need:

• Striker cover (maybe one youngster like Dembele and one more proven like Berahino)
  • DM cover (preferably someone with a bit of experience, not an old timer but maybe someone who's 24-26 type of age that has played in the CL)
  • CB cover (Dier can slot back there but having a proper 4th choice that doesn't involve us rejigging too much, either an experience played who the youngsters who can learn off i.e. 30+ or a youngster. If CCV is that player than we can ignore this).

I don't think the squad is bloated but if we get the above then maybe Bentaleb could go, keep the rest and maybe loan Onamoah and Winks out for some game time and see how we go.

I would also like a creative dribbler, we have good attacking players but someone miss a classic dribbler who can go past 2/3 players for those games where you need a spark.

I think we need:

• Striker cover (maybe one youngster like Dembele and one more proven like Berahino)
  • DM cover (preferably someone with a bit of experience, not an old timer but maybe someone who's 24-26 type of age that has played in the CL)
  • CB cover (Dier can slot back there but having a proper 4th choice that doesn't involve us rejigging too much, either an experience played who the youngsters who can learn off i.e. 30+ or a youngster. If CCV is that player than we can ignore this).

I don't think the squad is bloated but if we get the above then maybe Bentaleb could go, keep the rest and maybe loan Onamoah and Winks out for some game time and see how we go.

I would also like a creative dribbler, we have good attacking players but someone miss a classic dribbler who can go past 2/3 players for those games where you need a spark.

I think Son could yet be that player. We saw glimpses of it before he got injured - he also weighed in with some crucial goals. With a full season behind him, a full pre-season if possible and then a run of games, I think we will see the real player in Son. As the song goes, we aint seen the best of him yet.

gonad* chops would have very publicly targeted him and gone all out for him.
Not in a million years would Poch sign him, even of he was younger and had the funds.
Would upset the apple cart big time.

I think we should Hijack the bin dippers offer for Gotze, would fit a pressing system as he was apart of that Dortmund team that pressed very well. With his injury record and lack of game time we could get him for £25m i reckon. Alot of money but he could play anywhere in the 3 behind and does he not play striker for Germany?

I think we should Hijack the bin dippers offer for Gotze, would fit a pressing system as he was apart of that Dortmund team that pressed very well. With his injury record and lack of game time we could get him for £25m i reckon. Alot of money but he could play anywhere in the 3 behind and does he not play striker for Germany?
Be worth it, just to add to the collection and stimulate further minutes silences on RAWK, trollage etc.

While it would be great to have Gotze, I think that our first priority when signing an attacking player is that the player would have to primarily be a number 9 who can also play at 10/7/11 as opposed to the other way round. Upgrading Chadli, Son or Njie for Gotze would be great, but I think we'd be onto the soft furnishings with that one as opposed to completing the foundations.

All possible areas for improvement

need - 2nd Striker, DM (Dier) cover, 4th CB
useful to have - LW or RW with pace, cover for Dembele, cover for Eriksen.

2nd Striker we have to buy.
DM cover we have to buy (possible that person could cover for both Dier/Dembele if you find right guy)
4th CB could be CCV if preseason goes well for him
Pritchard may have a role in midfield.

Poch will have to evaluate Son/Njie re do we need another wing option.

while almost any player can theoretically be improved, 2-3 players to push for a 1st spot, plus supplementation from academy is probably all we need this summer.

We have to remember, just on experience gained, more time with Poch's system, this team will be better next year with no changes. What Poch should have as his main target next year is getting out of the blocks faster, both his seasons so far have had slow starts.

Back