• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory Podcast

Good pod as usual, but please Steffen, you need to stop calling the players by their Christian names. They aren't your mate. The Gooners do that sort of thing, talking about their Declan and their Eddie and their Takehiro. It grates. It's hard enough keeping up with Deki Kulu Lolo Bents without dropping in first names.

Only if you spell Steffan properly! :)...p.s. are you old enough to have sung "Ossie's Dream"?!

Only if you spell Steffan properly! :)...p.s. are you old enough to have sung "Ossie's Dream"?!
There's only one Ossie. You were talking about Christian failing to attempt a through-ball and I was convinced you were talking about Eriksen.

There's only one Ossie. You were talking about Christian failing to attempt a through-ball and I was convinced you were talking about Eriksen.
Hate to break it to you, he doesn't play for us anymore and hasn't for some time...

A Bad Day At The Office
Season 4 Episode 40

Steff, Milo, and Ricky conclude that sometimes, football can just be a brick-sandwich, albeit we take the time and care you've come to expect to both analyse said-sandwich from Craven Cottage on Saturday night, and explain why we will all be eating far tastier sandwiches again in the future. We will also be discussing Ange's response to the 'plastics' question posed to him during last Friday's press conference, and explaining why Tottenham Hotspur belongs to the world and not myopic, traditionalist grumps. One and all from everywhere, step onboard...

GI7vsqGWkAAv2hK.jpeg

A Bad Day At The Office
Season 4 Episode 40

Steff, Milo, and Ricky conclude that sometimes, football can just be a brick-sandwich, albeit we take the time and care you've come to expect to both analyse said-sandwich from Craven Cottage on Saturday night, and explain why we will all be eating far tastier sandwiches again in the future. We will also be discussing Ange's response to the 'plastics' question posed to him during last Friday's press conference, and explaining why Tottenham Hotspur belongs to the world and not myopic, traditionalist grumps. One and all from everywhere, step onboard...

View attachment 16914
The pressing comments were spot on
Honestly think the Drgustij comments and saying he was struggling are OTT iMO

When relaying the passing numbers early doors you have to ask where was some of the players to help him. He passed the ball with his left foot, accurately too. The issue is that with everyone being lazy/off it in this game people look at what’s changed

Last edited:
I just watched the game back, to check on Dragusin's performance.
He did loads of good defending and generally had a good game.
Often Udogie was inside and unavailable for a pass, tightly marked by Iwobi, so I think the plan was to go wide to Johnson to flick inside, but Fulham were super tight and pressing those plays.
In the second half Dragusin did refuse quite a few passing options left and kept rolling it to Romero to deal with, so Milo does have a point about that, it got more noticeable as the game went on.

I thought Fulham were excellent in their press, Palhinha and Lukic tigerish in midfield (and as the home team, got away with a thousand fouls) so we often just couldn't get going. Anthonee Robinson was their standout player for me, excellent play all game. That's probably as well as Fulham can possibly play, and they had several things fall in their favour i.e.
Muniz first goal, quite difficult to take a touch and bury it in under pressure, achieved perfectly.
Lukic goal - as he ran, the ball spawned off his thigh inside the far post, though it was criminal how Spurs allowed him 30 yards of space from a throw in; Maddison should have been markingand Bissouma should have killed him.
Muniz second goal, a centre back is highly unlikely to squeeze a shot onto the post past Romero Porro and Vicario and bounce in such a way that Muniz gets there 1 millisecond before Dragusin.

Spurs had loads of chances, but failed with every one. I think the scoreline is driving the narrative and feels.
Son put one over the bar
Johnson scuffed a clean chance
Maddison slid it 2 inches wide left
Werner should definitely have scored
Deki had a couple of chances too
Richie slid it 2 inches wide right
Richie took it down nicely but shot right at the keeper
I think Son and Johnson had other chances, but I forget
You'd expect us to get 2 or 3 goals from that lot. It really wasn't awful, there were several misplaced passes and sloppy play but it really wasn't awful.

Often Udogie was inside and unavailable for a pass, tightly marked by Iwobi, so I think the plan was to go wide to Johnson to flick inside, but Fulham were super tight and pressing those plays.
In the second half Dragusin did refuse quite a few passing options left and kept rolling it to Romero to deal with, so Milo does have a point about that, it got more noticeable as the game went on.

I thought Fulham were excellent in their press, Palhinha and Lukic tigerish in midfield (and as the home team, got away with a thousand fouls) so we often just couldn't get going. Anthonee Robinson was their standout player for me, excellent play all game. That's probably as well as Fulham can possibly play, and they had several things fall in their favour i.e.
Muniz first goal, quite difficult to take a touch and bury it in under pressure, achieved perfectly.
Lukic goal - as he ran, the ball spawned off his thigh inside the far post, though it was criminal how Spurs allowed him 30 yards of space from a throw in; Maddison should have been markingand Bissouma should have killed him.
Muniz second goal, a centre back is highly unlikely to squeeze a shot onto the post past Romero Porro and Vicario and bounce in such a way that Muniz gets there 1 millisecond before Dragusin.

Spurs had loads of chances, but failed with every one. I think the scoreline is driving the narrative and feels.
Son put one over the bar
You'd expect us to get 2 or 3 goals from that lot. It really wasn't awful, there were several misplaced passes and sloppy play but it really wasn't awful.

As we pointed out, we arguably created more clear cut chances this first half than at Villa in that first half. What was awful was our showing up thinking we'd win by just doing what we do. Fulham called our bluff, and when they didn't sit back and get steamrolled having gone ahead, we simply did not have the response.

Son put one over the bar
Absolutely spot on with everything

It’s been a while since I’ve listened to the pod (shame on me I know!) but being away and having missed the game it was great to hear the usual reasoned response rather than what I have been reading on the knee jerk twitter/X meltdown.
Also thanks to @Bullet for the detailed (and more positive) review of the game.

It’s been a while since I’ve listened to the pod (shame on me I know!) but being away and having missed the game it was great to hear the usual reasoned response rather than what I have been reading on the knee jerk twitter/X meltdown.
Also thanks to @Bullet for the detailed (and more positive) review of the game.

Thanks for listening, good to have you back. I felt sorry for Dragusin, no-one needs a full debut when everyone is 'off'...details indeed undid us first-half (those three chances would normally yield at least one goal at which point we're ahead) but the second was so so flat. As we concluded, a single off-day surely :)

but the second was so so flat
As I said above, we could have had 5 goals in that second half. The fact none of the shots went in, makes everyone think we were super flat.
I just saw Ali Gold describe it as a stinker. People are saying it was our worst game in ages. It really wasn't that bad.
Amazing really that none of those golden chances went in.

As I said above, we could have had 5 goals in that second half. The fact none of the shots went in, makes everyone think we were super flat.
I just saw Ali Gold describe it as a stinker. People are saying it was our worst game in ages. It really wasn't that bad.
Amazing really that none of those golden chances went in.

I think there is a dialectic at play here. We could've scored lots of goals and we were flat. I disagree with you with regards to the performance, we were flat in the second-half and only found any real traction when 3 down and having made some subs. I would further say that the chances we missed second-half were a further product of overall flatness and lack of sharpness on the day. Let's face it, when shots repeatedly don't go in -especially good chance shots- it's usually because something isn't quite sharp enough. I don't remember us hitting the woodwork once.

I think there is a dialectic at play here. We could've scored lots of goals and we were flat. I disagree with you with regards to the performance, we were flat in the second-half and only found any real traction when 3 down and having made some subs. I would further say that the chances we missed second-half were a further product of overall flatness and lack of sharpness on the day. Let's face it, when shots repeatedly don't go in -especially good chance shots- it's usually because something isn't quite sharp enough. I don't remember us hitting the woodwork once.
Or the keeper making a real save

With all due respect to TGIAG, this is a really good analysis of where we are at the moment

I found the host pretty insufferable to be honest.. Constantly going on and on about 'Ange must adapt' .. He's not paying attention is he? Really frustrating.

Edit: Mackenzie's input was decent, but all he did was compare Ange to Klopp and Lego-head and claim the solution is investing 100m+ on players. Not sure that's the solution.

With all due respect to TGIAG, this is a really good analysis of where we are at the moment

Appreciate the link mate.

I get ruffled when people bring up Ossie. It's a lazy trope. Ossie was actually 10+ years ahead of his time. He didn't abandon defensive principles at all, and neither does Ange. We were absolutely 'off' from the the front backwards, when the forwards don't work to their usual efforts, then it all gets tougher. I heard Klopp and specifically Arteta mentioned, but each has had time. Postecoglu has been here less than a year, and already the 'experts' are telling us how he needs to 'adapt' without recognising what he does with his sides. I think (frankly) there's a lack of patience, which is all the easier to feel when we have such giant 'off' days as had at the Cottage. Milo's been talking about dribbling wingers for a while now, and I've been speaking to the 6 issue (IMO) for a while. BTW (and this might be my competitive side) the comment about 'a lot of people have said it less eloquently...' is partially accurate only; we've said much of it with an added dollop of common sense patience from our perspectives, and I think we've been both bold and eloquent personally :) p.s. again thanks for the link, I don't actually listen to other Spurs pods!

Last edited:
Is Gascoigne Going To Have A Crack?
Season 4 Episode 41

Steff, Gareth, and Milo discuss the forthcoming book by Gareth Dace about Spurs in the 90s titled, Is Gascoigne Going to Have A Crack? Spurs in the 90s, Magic, Mayhem and Mediocrity. For those who remember the era this is a belting conversation, for those learning about it, ’tis an entertaining education. We also pick our best 90s Spurs team, and learn the exact location of the physical book via Mr.Dace’s shipping GPS tracker! There’s also word of the next great Spurs dressing room DJ; you won’t guess who it is!

GJf2aLTXQAAevew.jpeg

Thoroughly enjoyed it. And great work with the book @90sSpursBook.
But I agree with @milo about the choice of CB. Taking emotion out of it I suppose he-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned would have to figure in a team of the decade. Fortunately supporting a football team is full of emotion and as said his later actions wipe out any accolade he might otherwise have deserved. So the emotional view wins.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. And great work with the book @90sSpursBook.
But I agree with @milo about the choice of CB. Taking emotion out of it I suppose he-whose-name-shall-not-be-mentioned would have to figure in a team of the decade. Fortunately supporting a football team is full of emotion and as said his later actions wipe out any accolade he might otherwise have deserved. So the emotional view wins.
It's a rare case of me choosing the emotional response and not @thfcsteff

Back