• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The final straw?

I started following around 1990 myself, but I find it strange how anyone can complain about what we're seeing now if they were around in the 90s. We have been getting a lot more things right than wrong during Levy's reign, but there are 19 other clubs doing all they can as well. Sometimes even the very best can only get you so far.

I think some of it is down to the internet and forums, where people work themselves up throughout the week and end up with almost impossibly high expectations. Go on a forum for any random club and you'll find they're always thinking they will get something from the next game, even if they're in the relegation zone and playing a top 4 team. No matter how brick the team is doing they always think that the next game will be completely different. This ultimately leads to a lot of disappointment, which is intensified by a good kneejerking session online.

Southampton fans want to get rid of a manager that have got them two promotions because they believe their squad is good enough for midtable, when it clearly isn't. Liverpool fans that insist that, man for man, their squad is the best in the league. West Ham think they should be above us in the table simply because they're West Ham and we're Tottenham.

Indeed. Very well said.

I also browse the Brighton forum and the fans on there calling for Poyet's head is comical. I remember 3 years ago going to Brighton vs Stockport last game of the season and Brighton won the game to stay in League One. Look where Brighton are, and where Stockport are now. :-k

I said at the start of the season we'd come 7th. Purely because you lose VDV & Modric and replace with Dempsey and Sigurdsson. Therefore you're cleary not going to be as strong. I'm gutted we got knocked out of the Carling Cup, as I thought that was ours for the taking had we beaten a very poor Norwich team. As long as we get past this Europa League group I'm happy, as I want something to look forward to in Feburary. A nice little trip to Germany will do.

The "AVB's Blue White Army" in Slovenia was class. =D> Not quite Leverkusen, but we've finally stopped singing YIDS inbetween AVB / BlueWhite army .

We need to look at the problem. It's a serious issue, and it is absolutely toxic to our football side.

I look at my own reactions during a game when watching at home, and I am a lot more critical. I think why, and it probably stems from the fact that I expect more from these players. They have set a certain expectation, and we know what they are capable of. The Dempsey and Sig issues (and new players in general) is harder. We don't have a prior knowledge (in depth) of how they played, or what they are capable of, but we know who they replaced. It's natural to feel deflated, when they don't deliver the same highs as VdV or Modric. We know when Modric and VdV were poor, it was more a blip so we almost forgave them.

But this is where the crowd need to play their part. Will them to do better. It's really difficult though, because our natural inclination is one of disappointment. Personally I think it's ok to show some frustration in the ground now and then, but as long as on the whole you really get behind the side and sing. This was the best part of going to games. Coming home with a messed up voice, even if it was 0-0.

I think there would also be an argument that people might challenge the pricing, if standing accommodation cost the same as seating, and it would be difficult for the club to argue it was reasonable to charge the same amount. I think they would drop the prices; it would be a question of by how much, and the answer would probably be "by as little as they think they can get away with."

If people really want to stand and there are only a limited number of standing tickets, shouldn't the price be higher. Simple laws of supply and demand. People are demanding standing tickets, so why should they be supplied at reduced cost?

In reality, I suspect they would drop the price but ensure they got more return from the space. If two people could stand for each seated one, a price of 75-80% of a seated ticket would be a good return (a 50-60% gain). This is the sort of argument that might persuade the clubs to install safe standing.

I
Over the years he's chipped away with his policys at the club,he didn't want harry in the first place so the first golden chance of getting rid he couldn't be quick enough to do so and whats so fecking annoying is when business is mixed into football and words are used like,strategy,new direction and ideas like director of football,where the two most succesful managers in the division don't employ one.

On the other hand, only three clubs have managed to find a manager that can do it all. That means there are seventeen clubs (more if you include those going up and down) searching for something that is not there: the classic manager who runs the club from top to bottom. Instead they have a continual merry-go-round of managers in, managers out, with the accompanying turnover of players who do fit the system of the previous manager. And the short-term thinking, not surprisingly, fails to bring long-term success.

If you are searching for something that isn't there, after a time it becomes a good idea to try looking for something else. Something that takes a longer-term view, something like a DoF.

calling for AVB´s head is just stupid and booing him for taking Defoe off was shameful behavior of so called fans..

Defoe did NOTHING and deserved to be taken off, it did not work.

We have been pants since last february, nothing has changed. The players are over paid primadonas who dont give a rats ass about THFC.

calling for AVB´s head is just stupid and booing him for taking Defoe off was shameful behavior of so called fans..

Defoe did NOTHING and deserved to be taken off, it did not work.

We have been pants since last february, nothing has changed. The players are over paid primadonas who dont give a rats ass about THFC.

just to sidetrack for a moment....

Ganter, whats the word in Iceland on Sigurdsson....any info on why he looks uncomfortable and lacking in confidence

just to sidetrack for a moment....

Ganter, whats the word in Iceland on Sigurdsson....any info on why he looks uncomfortable and lacking in confidence

Because he's not at Swansea anymore and replacing our most creative players with a load of mid-table dross is only going to result in a tail off in level of performance.

Look at the team sheet. Losing games 1-0 at home to Wigan is hardly a surprise with the quality of player we have on the pitch right now. We used to lose these games all the time anyway with our best players taking their foot off the pedal.

If we have mediocre players strolling round the pitch with the same attitude then days like Wigan will only come around more often.

On the other hand, only three clubs have managed to find a manager that can do it all. That means there are seventeen clubs (more if you include those going up and down) searching for something that is not there: the classic manager who runs the club from top to bottom. Instead they have a continual merry-go-round of managers in, managers out, with the accompanying turnover of players who do fit the system of the previous manager. And the short-term thinking, not surprisingly, fails to bring long-term success.

If you are searching for something that isn't there, after a time it becomes a good idea to try looking for something else. Something that takes a longer-term view, something like a DoF.

Well 8,4,5,4 positions seems to me a long term view over the last four years and conistent,obiously fergie and wenger don't do it all,fergie has gill and wenger had dein then someone else to help out. Do you think AVB wanted dempsey at all,he was going to liverpool or villa till 3pm that afternoon,to be honest i don''t think dempsey wasn't on even on AVB check list at all,he was after willian all along till levy said you can't have both only moriniho,till that went tits up as well,so dempsey was an after thought by levy.

Sometimes being old school can have its advantages,sometimes trying re-invent the wheel with new formations or transfer policies has its drawbacks,we were all crying out for 442 saturday,with ade and defoe upfront and bale and lennon out wide,if the crowd saw that we were going for it at least it would have stirred up everyone and less booing at the end if the score stayed the same.

The reason I got into Spurs, besides Modric and Corluka, was the atmosphere at WHL. The only fans who were as loud and devoted at the time were Pompey fans, IMO.
I never had a second club, before Spurs... I was a Dinamo fan, and I couldn't care less for any other club.
For me, atmosphere and passion were always more important then the quality of football or winning trophies.
I got into Spurs because I related to the passion...It is very sad to watch the decline, I can only guess to the reasons from this far away...

Well 8,4,5,4 positions seems to me a long term view over the last four years and conistent,obiously fergie and wenger don't do it all,fergie has gill and wenger had dein then someone else to help out. Do you think AVB wanted dempsey at all,he was going to liverpool or villa till 3pm that afternoon,to be honest i don''t think dempsey wasn't on even on AVB check list at all,he was after willian all along till levy said you can't have both only moriniho,till that went tits up as well,so dempsey was an after thought by levy.

Sometimes being old school can have its advantages,sometimes trying re-invent the wheel with new formations or transfer policies has its drawbacks,we were all crying out for 442 saturday,with ade and defoe upfront and bale and lennon out wide,if the crowd saw that we were going for it at least it would have stirred up everyone and less booing at the end if the score stayed the same.

When you have our budget and are competing against those with far greater budgets, you can't keep a high turnover of older players. Despite the low transfer fees, the signing on and agent fees will all add up and eventually make us less competitive.

In recent years we've done a good job of getting the likes of Berbatov and Modric before inevitably selling them on, but by basing our team around those players we've been through huge disruption when they leave. A longer term view has the whole team (from kids to the first 11) playing one way and all learning how to cope when we don't have one of the star players.

It may take a few years for this to come to fruition, but it's the only chance we have against the competition we face (unless we just settle for one-off CL qualifications every decade or so).

The reason I got into Spurs, besides Modric and Corluka, was the atmosphere at WHL. The only fans who were as loud and devoted at the time were Pompey fans, IMO.
I never had a second club, before Spurs... I was a Dinamo fan, and I couldn't care less for any other club.
For me, atmosphere and passion were always more important then the quality of football or winning trophies.
I got into Spurs because I related to the passion...It is very sad to watch the decline, I can only guess to the reasons from this far away...

I can relate to that (although the odd trophy would be nice).

I would be suprised if it ruins the mood of everyone in the stadium, imagine it will be more like when i go to speakers corner and no one pays any attention to me. As for dempsey i hope it might be unlikely but i hope he hears my booing and decides to stay late after trainning everydy and improves his standard. At the end of the season when he has turned his form around he will say in an interview it was because he was booed in an a europa league game and he took a long hard look at himself.

Im to old to grow up and set in my ways.

Let us know when you're next up at speakers corner. I'd love to come along and boo the fudge out of you.

Only to make you better, of course.

JTS its give and take. the players have to give fans a reason to be motivated enough to sing and we also help. At the moment people on here want a one way street where fans give everything and players dont even get given a mention. Its extremely difficult to support players when they are obviously either not giving it their all or theyre not showing much in terms of wanting to play.

Using the work analogy its also a two way street there. I give it my all at work in return to be compensated appropriately. My employer wants me to give it my all? then they got to pay me commensurately and appropriately.

Correct. i used to work my nuts off but haven't had a pay rise for 4 years. Now I spend my time on here!

Sad to read. Can't see any foreign fans being attracted to us with the current atmosphere

Let us know when you're next up at speakers corner. I'd love to come along and boo the fudge out of you.

Only to make you better, of course.

i will be in london but i shall not be popping along to speakers corner on this visit

if you were ever to catch me you would probably just agree with everything i say because im so amazing and always right so i very much doubt i would get booed. The ones that ignore me have a "foreign" look to them so i figure they just can not understand me.

To be honest the ones that cheer when we score a goal but are not prepared to boo when we play badly are the ones i do not like. You should not cheer unless your prepared to boo as well.

not surprised

thee are people on here that cant wait to have a go at freidel for every mistake he does....and they turn on AVB for playing friedel, a good THFC servant who has played well..simply because they dont get thier way. is it anywonder that when things dont go right they'l come out in force and become very vocal when they go to games?

with enough people with this kind of supporters mentality everytime AVB does a change they dont like they will boo

The reason I got into Spurs, besides Modric and Corluka, was the atmosphere at WHL. The only fans who were as loud and devoted at the time were Pompey fans, IMO

Cricky, either you didn't come across many others or everyone else has gone downhill too! We've been very middling support wise for years and years. Loads of teams come to WHL and outsing us. I agree there has been a further decline recently though.

Cricky, either you didn't come across many others or everyone else has gone downhill too! We've been very middling support wise for years and years. Loads of teams come to WHL and outsing us. I agree there has been a further decline recently though.

well being a Dinamo Zagreb fan he was most likely first introduced to Spurs when we had Jol in charge when we played them in the Uefa Cup, which was the last period when we did have a genuinely good atmosphere. since then it has been a steady decline

I'd say that in Martin Jol's last season we were good - certainly better than most in the Premiership.

Back