• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight to Qualify for the European Conference League 2020/21

For me, it’s as much that everyone else is really really brick, and managed by an incompetent*, as it is that we have a great manager and a strong squad.

*Everton aside.
The short lived Spurs/Mourinho bubble well and truly burst today.
Spurs moving forward will be interesting.

I doubt it
The players are brought into Mourinho
They get that he has a track record and has their respect
He hasn’t singled out a player from today despite the press trying to get him too
We move onto Wednesday now

If today they have “brought into Mourinho” I’d hate to see what it would be like if they became unsure about the man.

How does out start to the season compare to the previous decade or so

After 14 games

Mourinho
20/21 - 25 points, 5th place, 6 points off the top

Poch
19/20 - 20 points, 5th place, 20 points off the top
18/19 - 30 points, 5th place, 8 points off the top
17/18 - 24 points, 7th place, 16 points off the top
16/17 - 27 points, 5th place, 7 points off the top
15/16 - 25 points, 5th place, 4 points off the top
14/15 - 20 points, 10th place, 16 points off the top

AVB
13/14 - 24 points, 6th place, 10 points off the top
12/13 - 23 points, 5th place, 11 points off the top

Redknapp
11/12 - 34 points, 2nd place, 4 points off the top
10/11 - 22 points, 6th place, 6 points off the top
09/10 - 26 points, 4th place, 10 points off the top

If today they have “brought into Mourinho” I’d hate to see what it would be like if they became unsure about the man.
I think today showed that some players aren’t capable of playing every week at the intensity needed mentally
You think Jose was at fault for Aurier giving them the penalty when under NO pressure?
They had a small percentage more ball in the first half (10%) and a Hugo barely made a save yet the penalty changes the game
The players have shown all season their brought into him
Maybe we shouldn’t over react after a few bad results after a very good run.
@Modric THFC has posted our points vs other seasons like for like for comparison

I think today showed that some players aren’t capable of playing every week at the intensity needed mentally
You think Jose was at fault for Aurier giving them the pelanty when under NO pressure?
They had a small percentage more ball in the first half (10%) and a Hugo barely made a save yet the pelanty changes the game
@Modric THFC has posted our points vs other seasons like for like for comparison
Without the individual errors today it would have been a grind, a game that could have gone either way.

That's fine for some games, but we end up with too many games becoming grinds and we can't expect to keep grinding out results week in week out. Or as I put it a couple of weeks ago, our xG remains too low.

That's not a criticism of Mourinho. We've come a long way relatively quickly. But we're still missing some key ingredients to push on from here. I still think we can push on from where we are now this season, but it won't be easy.

Without the individual errors today it would have been a grind, a game that could have gone either way.

That's fine for some games, but we end up with too many games becoming grinds and we can't expect to keep grinding out results week in week out. Or as I put it a couple of weeks ago, our xG remains too low.

That's not a criticism of Mourinho. We've come a long way relatively quickly. But we're still missing some key ingredients to push on from here. I still think we can push on from where we are now this season, but it won't be easy.
A grind against a team right next to us in the league
And for once we were pressing fork the start
Leicester offered so little with the ball until Aurier had his brain fart

We've come a long way relatively quickly. But we're still missing some key ingredients to push on from here. I still think we can push on from where we are now this season, but it won't be easy.

Broadly. We're somewhere in a pack of a few teams who are relatively close in standard - us, Cheatski, Man U - and then you have Leicester and Everton who perform to greater than the sum-of-the-parts which means they're not too far away.

To push on we need a better Cm in place of Sissoko and a CB with some pace so that Jose has the confidence to play a higher line

We seem once again devoid of creativity. We seem unable to know how to create real chances if it’s not hitting teams on the counter.

We seem once again devoid of creativity. We seem unable to know how to create real chances if it’s not hitting teams on the counter.

Yes, I put it down to not having anyone who can pass the ball in CM. Gio has shown his work-rate so should be alongside PEH

A grind against a team right next to us in the league
And for once we were pressing fork the start
Leicester offered so little with the ball until Aurier had his brain fart
Not talking about the Leicester game in isolation.

WBA was a grind, Burnley was a grind, Brighton was a grind, Palace was a grind, Leicester would have been a grind if not for the individual errors.

We can get away with that, sometimes, but not often enough I think. And we need to be able to switch out around to creating chances without relying on counter attacks. Today was an example of that where we just weren't able to create enough. Had it remained a close game I think we would have gotten opportunities on the break, but when that fails we need more strings to our bow.

You think Jose was at fault for Aurier giving them the pelanty when under NO pressure?
They had a small percentage more ball in the first half (10%) and a Hugo barely made a save yet the pelanty changes the game

its now not an option to rest some first teamers, he must rotate more!

Our attacking players were awful today, passing was atrocious, work rate to find space was worse, 46 year old Johnny Evans had a cigar on.

Not talking about the Leicester game in isolation.

WBA was a grind, Burnley was a grind, Brighton was a grind, Palace was a grind, Leicester would have been a grind if not for the individual errors.

We can get away with that, sometimes, but not often enough I think. And we need to be able to switch out around to creating chances without relying on counter attacks. Today was an example of that where we just weren't able to create enough. Had it remained a close game I think we would have gotten opportunities on the break, but when that fails we need more strings to our bow.
I think it may (may) have been different with the set up he planned at half time. Lo Celso wants the ball and plays with it going forwards
His injury threw that out the window and we brought on Banjo Shins who has come on twice now in quick succession and offered less than the corner flag
But now it’s a chance maybe for dele to come into that role as I believe Tanguy went off injured too (not confirmed just my opinion) and I believe he will take that chance

Back