• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Europa League - Sh1t got real...

Re: Europa league in vogue

Although im not big on the europa league i would like us to play the youths more and do not mind if we go out because of this. For example i feel we should have played some of our younger players at the start of the season in europe but as otherss have said there are some good games if you progress.

This is the time i would start mixing it up and putting more of the first team in for games and not rely on youth players, of course we have played the senior players all season in europe and only time will tell if that is going to affect their form. I think with lennon maybe it is already as he looks to be a bit burned out.

Although im not that keen on the europa league it is worth remembering that some clubs who have done well in it from other countries then go on to become established champs league clubs.

Also although i want the youth players to be more involved with the europa squads, avb makes a good point about how if we do make champs league they would then have to play twice a week so they need to get used to this 2 games in a week.

But let's be honest, the group stages are painfully dull. The group stage of the CL had great games, Real Madrid-Emirates Marketing Project, Dortmund-Madrid for example. All of our group games were pretty dull.

CL group stages weren't that great. Man United had 3 weak clubs in their group, Chelsea had Juve (good), Shaktar (played plenty of times in the Europa League) and a tiny club, Arsenal had Schalke and 2 fairly weak clubs.

The Europa League generally had groups with 2 good teams and 2 "who the fudge are they" teams.

Group stages in both competitions will have less than blockbuster games because both competitions are opened out.

I totally agree the Real Madrid CL group was fudging amazing, but that's because 4 good teams were drawn in one group. World Cups have the same thing sometimes. You get a group with all good teams, while other groups have teams with countries that couldn't beat 3rd division teams.

The CL would be fudging amazing if it was simply the best teams in the world. The problem is you're looking at 4-6 teams from a few of the major leagues and then a couple from other random places. UEFA keep going the route of letting more "little champions" in... If you look at the Europa League, it's pretty much an exaggeration of that. Even though it has qualification rounds before the group stages, the tournament generally has teams from all over the place.

It's fairness vs entertainment. If every UEFA member association had to put their champion and runner up into a seeded qualifier, you wouldn't see the champions of many countries.

------------

In general though, both competitions have great teams in them at this stage. The CL will always have the best 3-4 teams though. Man United or City might drop into the Europa League every once in a while, but Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca are not likely to find themselves in that situation. Take the absolute best out of the CL reckoning and you're left with United, Schalke, PSG, Malaga, etc. In theory Europa league teams like Lyon (3 points from PSG in the league and are more of a CL team than PSG has been until recently) can compare with those clubs without a huge huge huge loss in quality.

Although this year will be different, you had to watch EL to see Falcao play in Europe... This year Bale is in the EL... Again taking out those elite teams, the stars on show are comparable.

As for how good the Europa League teams are... Bilbao outplaying Man United in 2 games last year, Atletico smashing Chelsea in the super cup this year... It's not like stepping into the Europa League is like having to play 3rd Division teams.

By contrast, Celtic are in the CL still (until their next match), they usually struggle to get past any European qualification rounds they have. There are plenty of clubs in the CL which would be supreme underdogs against EL teams. There are plenty of teams in the CL which would be equal matches with EL teams... Of course there are EL teams that would be underdogs against CL teams, but that's because there are so many EL teams left and so many are from weak leagues.

Both competitions have weak teams in them at the start. Everyone's opinion on how many lesser teams should be allowed into the group stages will differ, just like how many runners up should be allowed from a league will differ.

-------

From our point of view, we can't meet Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern or Dortmund in the EL. So we may as well try to win, we aren't going to be underdogs that aren't even going to be given a hope of beating someone we face, so it's a chance to go for glory this year before focusing on money in a competition we probably won't be able to win next year. (Not to be too pessimistic, but even if we were somehow able to beat Barca or Madrid or Bayern, we'd probably have to play another of those three and we wouldn't be able to keep pulling off amazing wins.) If Dortmund perform at the same level they have this season, we'd probably have the horrible luck of having to play them too. But seeing as those 4 are the overwhelming favourites for the competition and United can't go into a slugfest with any of them and have to rely on defensive tactical performances, it shows I'm not being that pessimistic, I just feel that other PL teams have been a long way from being able to outplay their way to victory vs the best teams in the world.

As far as the actual achievement of winning the EL goes, how long has it been since the club won something as big as that? That'd be huge for us, huge for the players, huge for the coaching staff, huge for sponsorship and brand awareness and it'd be one of those cool little things we could use to keep Bale (won a major trophy with us) and lure new players (come to us and win trophies)...

The biggest problem with the EL is the sheer amount of games we have to play, we were looking at almost as many EL games as PL games if we wanted to get to the final, but 2 down so hopefully we'll be ok until the end of the season. It would suck to come close to an epic PL season and winning the EL but running out of steam and watching our season implode. At least the CL pays for a bigger squad, the EL barely pays for anything.

Hopefully we'll look back at this campaign next year and say "look at this easy CL group that we wouldn't have been able to get if not for those epic Europa League nights".

It's late or early and I have had a glass or two and I don't really know what this thread is about but I want Spurs to win every single game and every single Cup.

Guess I'm old fashioned too as I'd also prefer to see Spurs win a European trophy (for the first time since 1984) even if we ended up finishing 5th in the league than to get that final CL place but miss out on any silverware for another season.

Winning the Europa League is what helped make AVB one of Europe' most wanted managers and would undoubtedly improve our club' global profile, whilst (as has already been mentioned) merely being in the CL does not prevent players deserting ARSEnal every season plus did not stop Holtby leaving Schalke 04 for us even though his former club are still involved in the CL.

The EL only requires playing an extra 2 matches more than the CL in its current format, so with our early exit from the domestic cups our squad really should be able to cope with the extra games. Plus it is good experience for the players and coaches at learning to deal with the rigours of being involved in European competition, as it is something they will have to deal with next season whether we qualify for the EL or CL.

Bradford City could reject Europa League place if they beat Swansea in Capital One Cup final

The League Two outfit would become the lowest-ranked English club ever to play in European competition, but joint-chairman Mark Lawn claims that the financial burden of participating in the Europa League could force Bradford to pass up the opportunity.

“We would have to look at that situation if we were to win,” Lawn said. “Being a fourth division club, we cannot afford to be going into Europe if it's going to cost us money. We would have to sit down and take a close look at things should it come to that."

England is currently granted three Europa League places by Uefa, with those going to the FA Cup winners, Capital One Cup winners and fifth-placed Premier League club.

Should Bradford win on Sunday and decline their Europa League place, it will be handed back to the next highest-finishing Premier League club.

The Telegraph

Maybe it's not quite so 'in vogue' in Bradford.

Can I please remind everyone to REMAIN CIVIL IN DISAGREEMENT however hard that can sometimes be...

We are ALL Spurs in the end...

Thank!

COYS

There is only one way to resolve all this

fisticuffs

All of us meet up - different corners for different arguments (obviously some may well have to move amongst the corners i.e. more than one argument) and just fudgein battle it out with fists.

We can have models walk around with scorecards and have bets and brick on the side for the spectators.

I think this would even be a box office hit. fudging amazing I think.

Instead of ECL failures dropping into the the Europa League how about we have a 1st and 2nd Division Euro league where maybe the top 2 in each country have a league and clubs placed 3-5 have another league (maybe even a 3rd league for the smaller clubs) with promotion and maybe play-offs to the ECL for the knockout stages. And then knock out stages for the Europa League for the other teams.
I have given this about 2 minutes thought.

Jurgen the German; said:
I want to win trophies too but football has changed over the past 15 years or so, not saying I agree with it, but the Champions League is where all the top players want to be.

how about we as fans stop obsessing Over CL football and start being proud to offer a player the chance to wear lilywhite?
The CL has lost most of its charm anyhoo, there are 40 non champion teams in the starting line-up ffs. Drooling over the chance to play CL football and be part of the money carousel is no better than being City or Chælsea. Money shmoney.

how about we as fans stop obsessing Over CL football and start being proud to offer a player the chance to wear lilywhite?
The CL has lost most of its charm anyhoo, there are 40 non champion teams in the starting line-up ffs. Drooling over the chance to play CL football and be part of the money carousel is no better than being City or Chælsea. Money shmoney.

It also attracts better players to the club.

The danger is that we progress to the quarter/semi-finals in the EL, maybe even to the final, but concurrently fall off the pace in the PL due to exhaustion. Then, a lucky goal puts us out of the EL as well, and we finish the season with nothing at all to show for our efforts.

But fudge it, we've got to try to win something, and live up to our motto for once. Full steam ahead.

Right on brother.

I heard someone mentioning the other day that we need CL if we want to keep Lloris!! He's only been here five fudging minutes!
Players saying they want Champions League is just a synonym for I want to play for one of four or five clubs who monopolise football and fork out 6 figure salaries to some of the worlds most over paid fudging nancies.

It won't make the slightest fudging difference if we qualify or not; the rat would still have wanted out, and Bale will go to Real when he wants, regardless of what European competition we are playing in. Qualifying for the CL each year is what Arsenal do - there is a huge difference between that and regularly challenging for trophies like Man Utd.

It also attracts better players to the club.

High wages attracts better players rather than Champions league football. If CL was more important than fat bank accounts then Emirates Marketing Project wouldn't have attracted Tevez, Silva, yaya etc

Don't get me wrong, I would like to win the Europa League providing it doesn't affect our league form too much. And I suppose one more year not in the competition won't kill us, but we need to be playing in the Champions League regularly in the next decade in my opinion. Do people not remember how bricky it felt being denied a CL place by Chelsea in such an unlucky manner.

How would our young supporters feel about us winning the Europa? Surely they wouldn't dismiss it would they?

How would our young supporters feel about us winning the Europa? Surely they wouldn't dismiss it would they?

The sad fact is that an entire generation of Tottenham fans (myself included) are too young to have experienced the euphoria of seeing us win a European trophy. So whilst our run in the CL the other season was memorable I'm sure that actually winning the Europa League would be even better and might even top the joy I felt when we last won the FA Cup back in 1991 \o/

The sad fact is that an entire generation of Tottenham fans (myself included) are too young to have experienced the euphoria of seeing us win a European trophy. So whilst our run in the CL the other season was memorable I'm sure that actually winning the Europa League would be even better and might even top the joy I felt when we last won the FA Cup back in 1991 \o/

You saw us win the FA Cup, you lucky devil. I half remember the '99 League Cup, but my greatest trophy-related moment was the Carling Cup in '08. And I'm sure a lot of younger fans see that as their highlight as well, which considering our cup history, is fudging criminal.

You saw us win the FA Cup, you lucky devil. I half remember the '99 League Cup, but my greatest trophy-related moment was the Carling Cup in '08. And I'm sure a lot of younger fans see that as their highlight as well, which considering our cup history, is fudging criminal.

Yeah it is unfortunate for us younger fans that our club happens to be going through its leanest spell cup-wise since the 1950s and I envy those older fans who got to witness the glory days when our trophy cabinet had regular additions of silverware.

1960s: First Division Championship + Cup Winners Cup + 3 FA Cups
1970s: UEFA Cup + 2 League Cups
1980s: UEFA Cup + 2 FA Cups
1990s: FA Cup + League Cup
2000s: League Cup

I was too young to remember us winning the UEFA Cup in 1984. Even back then, the UEFA Cup was a "minor" cup compared to the European Cup. In fact, the media used to give more coverage to the Milk Cup(League Cup) than the UEFA Cup. For this reason, might have failed to see the importance of the UEFA Cup and simply "missed" us winning one. Or probably the Heysel riots in 1985 and the subsequent 5 year ban for English clubs might have overshadowed our victory. Would love it if we can win another trophy in Europe after so long. Just don't understand how Redknapp and some fans could fail to see our tradition in Europe.

I wasn't happy when we abandoned the Europa League in Redknapp's first season. We narrowly lost against Shakhtar, despite playing a weakened team. Shakhtar reached the final, I think, makes me wonder what we could have achieved. We were safe in the league, I believe, and so wouldn't have been that high a risk to have gone for it.

I wasn't happy when we abandoned the Europa League in Redknapp's first season. We narrowly lost against Shakhtar, despite playing a weakened team. Shakhtar reached the final, I think, makes me wonder what we could have achieved. We were safe in the league, I believe, and so wouldn't have been that high a risk to have gone for it.

Scandalous decision by Redknapp, i have seen our cup wins in Europe and i never thought i would see the day a Spurs manager would throw a Europen trophy.

Back