• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Europa League - Sh1t got real...

par_18

Stephen Kelly
Getting good vibes about this cup, genuinely think that after being dismissed as flimflam for so long that it finally coming around and starting to be appreciated. Feel that it has a certain Romance this year and is being recognised as a bloody tough competition by media etc.

Maybe it's just because we're doing alright.

Re: Europa league in vogue

If you look at the last 32 teams in the competition before last nights results, there were a tonne of cracking teams in there.
A hell of a lot tougher to win than the CL, not only for the amount of games you play but the quality of the teams. The CL only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8 imo and apart from the likes of barca, real, man utd, bayern... the others have been seen more-ish in the Europa.

A lot of teams and fans say they dont care, but if they won it they would pee their pants.

If you look at the last 32 teams in the competition before last nights results, there were a tonne of cracking teams in there.
A hell of a lot tougher to win than the CL, not only for the amount of games you play but the quality of the teams. The CL only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8 imo and apart from the likes of barca, real, man utd, bayern... the others have been seen more-ish in the Europa.

A lot of teams and fans say they dont care, but if they won it they would pee their pants.

Undoubtedly. It's an absolute beast of a competition to win. Puts the FA cup to shame.

It was only ever Premiership clubs that displayed this attitude and a new breed of surly fan who grew up on a diet of Champs league hype and an attitude that Europa League was second rate but that Premier League clubs could win if they could actually be bothered. Trouble is you have to prove it on the pitch and Premiership clubs have been found wanting even when they've put out their best sides.

It is only one of two European club competitions on offer. Next to the Champions League it is the biggest trophy on offer apart from the national league competition. Never understood this attitude.

It don't seem that long ago when even qualifying for this competition was a cue for an outpouring of jubilation as for years we went without. Nah, never had that attitude myself and feel embarrassed that there are fans around at our club that do.

Last edited:

Well said Mr Coolbury, my sentiments exactly.

Was disgusted with the way we treated the competition under the previous manager and am made up we're back to taking it seriously. Wouldn't make us favourites by a long shot but reckon we can give it a good go if we give it our best.

It is good to see AVB trying to win the thing too. I'd absolutely love to win it as realistically where we are now winning the PL or CL are beyond us. That really only leaves the Europa, FA and League cup as potential trophies we might snag. Trophy? Yes please.

It is good to see AVB trying to win the thing too. I'd absolutely love to win it as realistically where we are now winning the PL or CL are beyond us. That really only leaves the Europa, FA and League cup as potential trophies we might snag. Trophy? Yes please.

Absolutely... don't want to end up like that mob down the road, trophyless for so long. Until we are out of it, we should push as hard as we can to try and win the thing. Great for our European exposure too, only in the UK has it been dismissed as the Euro equivalent of the league cup!

It only ever seemed to English teams who didn't take it seriously to be fair, most of the rest of Europe sees the Europa league as a pretty decent competition.

Make there one less round, stop the games kicking off at weird times and add a bit more financial incentive so that the winner doesn't receive less than a team who lost all 6 CL games and got knocked out in the group stage and maybe even English teams and fans will start taking it even more seriously too.

But I'm glad we're making a serious effort to win it.

It only ever seemed to English teams who didn't take it seriously to be fair, most of the rest of Europe sees the Europa league as a pretty decent competition.

Make there one less round, stop the games kicking off at weird times and add a bit more financial incentive so that the winner doesn't receive less than a team who lost all 6 CL games and got knocked out in the group stage and maybe even English teams and fans will start taking it even more seriously too.

I'd love to see the Europa get a CL place...like the FA Cup, it should be the winner or, if the winner has already qualified through their league, the runner-up. The Europa Cup winner is far more of a "champion" than whoever finishes 4th in the Premier League.

The Europa League is great once you get to the last 32 but let's be honest the quality of teams and standard of football before Xmas was woeful - Spurs included. It was as dull as dishwater watching our lot barely motivated against a bunch of cloggers.
If it was the old UEFA Cup format with maybe 64 teams in it you would have a quality competition. The Lyon tie, Sevilla, PSV, Braga - all games in the last 32 and beyond in the last 5 years that have been worth shouting about. Can anyone even remember the earlier rounds?

I'd love to see the Europa get a CL place...like the FA Cup, it should be the winner or, if the winner has already qualified through their league, the runner-up. The Europa Cup winner is far more of a "champion" than whoever finishes 4th in the Premier League.

I agree, a CL place for the winner would do the competition the world of good, as would stopping CL failures dropping into it and early kick offs.

Had spurs mates who go themselves almost taking the tinkle because I went to the group games 'it's crap' 'ain't patch on champions league' now all I've heard from them Is 'inter at the lane buzzing' etc I never get this attitude i go to watch spurs and spurs only genuinely couldn't care who we are playing or what competition it is.

The Europa League is great once you get to the last 32 but let's be honest the quality of teams and standard of football before Xmas was woeful - Spurs included. It was as dull as dishwater watching our lot barely motivated against a bunch of cloggers.
If it was the old UEFA Cup format with maybe 64 teams in it you would have a quality competition. The Lyon tie, Sevilla, PSV, Braga - all games in the last 32 and beyond in the last 5 years that have been worth shouting about. Can anyone even remember the earlier rounds?

Fair point but isn't that what people love about the FA Cup, the possibility that a bunch of cloggers could cause an upset. For me It is the FA Cup of Europe.

i'll admit I wasn't bothered when Redknapp didn't take it seriously.

But with the way AVB does, I'm much more involved in it now and want us to win it....

This is so true, and what really tinkles me off for years we as Spurs fans wanted to be back playing in Europe, now after one season playing CL we are now to good for it. ( for some fans).

Last edited:

I'm sorry but that's what I call abusing the right to have an opinion. Tougher to win than the Champions League? Jesus fudging Christ :lol: Only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8? If that's true then the Europa League doesn't have any teams that will give you a serious game.

A lot of you also seem to think that it's only the English that don't rate the Europa League. That's also nonsense:

"Europa League? I don't give a brick about this competition." - Aurelio De Laurentiis - Napoli Chairman

"I cannot imagine playing in the Europa League.
"That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don't play in it at all.
"Even winning the Europa League would not mean anything for me.
"That is not the title you want to win and it is not something I want.
" - Arjen Robben

Let's go through this again. By definition, if you are in this competition it means that you are not part of Europe's elite. It is a second rate competition for second rate teams. That's all. Now don't get me wrong, there are some highly talented players participating in this competition, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's enjoying a resurgence of any sort. I'm sure most of you and most of players watched the Real Madrid-Man Utd, and the Milan-Barcelona games. How many players and sets of fans from those four teams watched our game last night do you think?

It would be nice to win a trophy and there will be some entertaining games along the way. Certainly, a lot of the teams seem much closer matched and it's much tougher to predict the winners of the competition even after the CL drop-outs are involved. But don't pretend that this competition before the semi-finals if not the final gets any attention from anybody who's not involved in it themselves. I bet most of you can name me the last 5 scorelines from the last 5 CL finals. I bet very few of you can do it for the Europa League without looking it up.

If UEFA gave a CL spot to the winners, then it could be considered some sort of gateway or learning competition. But until then, it's an unnecessary distraction, without the financial or recognition awards to make it worthwhile.

I'm sorry but that's what I call abusing the right to have an opinion. Tougher to win than the Champions League? Jesus fudging Christ :lol: Only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8? If that's true then the Europa League doesn't have any teams that will give you a serious game.

A lot of you also seem to think that it's only the English that don't rate the Europa League. That's also nonsense:

"Europa League? I don't give a brick about this competition." - Aurelio De Laurentiis - Napoli Chairman

"That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don't play in it at all.
" - Arjen Robben

Let's go through this again. By definition, if you are in this competition it means that you are not part of Europe's elite. It is a second rate competition for second rate teams. That's all. Now don't get me wrong, there are some highly talented players participating in this competition, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's enjoying a resurgence of any sort. I'm sure most of you and most of players watched the Real Madrid-Man Utd, and the Milan-Barcelona games. How many players and sets of fans from those four teams watched our game last night do you think?

It would be nice to win a trophy and there will be some entertaining games along the way. Certainly, a lot of the teams seem much closer matched and it's much tougher to predict the winners of the competition even after the CL drop-outs are involved. But don't pretend that this competition before the semi-finals if not the final gets any attention from anybody who's not involved in it themselves. I bet most of you can name me the last 5 scorelines from the last 5 CL finals. I bet very few of you can do it for the Europa League without looking it up.

If UEFA gave a CL spot to the winners, then it could be considered some sort of gateway or learning competition. But until then, it's an unnecessary distraction, without the financial or recognition awards to make it worthwhile.

In terms of recognition your completely wrong im afraid.

Last night I watched the Hannover game on TV (I live in Germany) while streaming the Spurs game. After the match they show all highlights from all games - first non German teams match? Spurs v Lyon with focus and talk about us. The commentators were banging on about us Vs Inter, Oliver Kahn identified it as the tie of the round "two heavyweights" etc.

Do you think we would get that sort of continental exposure without playing in Europe this season?

Dont know about anyone else, but the thought of winning the Europa and getting the chance to play Barca or Milan or someone of that ilk in the Super Cup sounds pretty high exposure and recognition if you ask me.

The Europa Leaugue IS high profile, other nations DO take it seriously and people DO tune in to watch. And we are a highly regarded club.

The more we play in Europa and the more success we have, the more we raise our profile. No doubt about it. In fact they were talking about Spurs disappointing campaign last year, saying it was a suprise we didnt get out the group. Hence, resuslts, wins, records and trophies are recorded FOR EVER. Thank GHod were not tarnishing our European name this season again and are giving the thing a dam good go.

Sorry, another point. About the second tier thing.. so what? we are a second tier club aren't we? Or do we pick up regular trophies a la Man U, Real etc? No. so first we fight our way to the top of the second tier by beating the likes of Lyon and Inter, try and win the thing and then keep moving on and building in direction of the top tier.

You can only compete at the level your currently at, for us that is at the moment outside of the european elite, no question. We are competing with clubs like lyon, ajax, atletico at the moment. whats the problem with that?

I have always enjoyed the competition personally even when we were not involved but it will always be viewed as a second rate competition as long as they allow CL dropouts into the last 32. That is the dumbest fudging thing ever. You play 6 games go through your group and EARN your spot then you are dropped in the same hat as teams that failed to do exactly that in the CL.

" - Arjen Robben

I'm assuming you are not a spurs fan. fudge I would hate to be next to you at any game. Miserable
negative prick.

Back