• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Europa League - Sh1t got real...

Re: Europa league in vogue

Sorry, another point. About the second tier thing.. so what? we are a second tier club aren't we? Or do we pick up regular trophies a la Man U, Real etc? No. so first we fight our way to the top of the second tier by beating the likes of Lyon and Inter, try and win the thing and then keep moving on and building in direction of the top tier.

You can only compete at the level your currently at, for us that is at the moment outside of the european elite, no question. We are competing with clubs like lyon, ajax, atletico at the moment. whats the problem with that?

None at all, we have to play in Europe at any level if we want to progress to the top table.

In terms of recognition your completely wrong im afraid.

Last night I watched the Hannover game on TV (I live in Germany) while streaming the Spurs game. After the match they show all highlights from all games - first non German teams match? Spurs v Lyon with focus and talk about us. The commentators were banging on about us Vs Inter, Oliver Kahn identified it as the tie of the round "two heavyweights" etc.

Do you think we would get that sort of continental exposure without playing in Europe this season?

Dont know about anyone else, but the thought of winning the Europa and getting the chance to play Barca or Milan or someone of that ilk in the Super Cup sounds pretty high exposure and recognition if you ask me.

The Europa Leaugue IS high profile, other nations DO take it seriously and people DO tune in to watch. And we are a highly regarded club.

The more we play in Europa and the more success we have, the more we raise our profile. No doubt about it. In fact they were talking about Spurs disappointing campaign last year, saying it was a suprise we didnt get out the group. Hence, resuslts, wins, records and trophies are recorded FOR EVER. Thank GHod were not tarnishing our European name this season again and are giving the thing a dam good go.

Great post, had no idea that we have evoked such interest in Germany...delighted to be called a "heavyweight" alongside Inter Milan :D

The Europa League is great once you get to the last 32 but let's be honest the quality of teams and standard of football before Xmas was woeful - Spurs included. It was as dull as dishwater watching our lot barely motivated against a bunch of cloggers.
If it was the old UEFA Cup format with maybe 64 teams in it you would have a quality competition. The Lyon tie, Sevilla, PSV, Braga - all games in the last 32 and beyond in the last 5 years that have been worth shouting about. Can anyone even remember the earlier rounds?

Thats the issue.

I know they want to give all countries a fair opportunity etc but some of these teams dilute the competition in the early stages. It only really gets interesting past the group stages. I can also see why the have CL teams drop down into the EL although I wouldnt have it - you cant have two opportunities to win two cups.

In terms of recognition your completely wrong im afraid.

Last night I watched the Hannover game on TV (I live in Germany) while streaming the Spurs game. After the match they show all highlights from all games - first non German teams match? Spurs v Lyon with focus and talk about us. The commentators were banging on about us Vs Inter, Oliver Kahn identified it as the tie of the round "two heavyweights" etc.

Do you think we would get that sort of continental exposure without playing in Europe this season?

Dont know about anyone else, but the thought of winning the Europa and getting the chance to play Barca or Milan or someone of that ilk in the Super Cup sounds pretty high exposure and recognition if you ask me.

The Europa Leaugue IS high profile, other nations DO take it seriously and people DO tune in to watch. And we are a highly regarded club.

The more we play in Europa and the more success we have, the more we raise our profile. No doubt about it. In fact they were talking about Spurs disappointing campaign last year, saying it was a suprise we didnt get out the group. Hence, resuslts, wins, records and trophies are recorded FOR EVER. Thank GHod were not tarnishing our European name this season again and are giving the thing a dam good go.

](*,)

You were watching the coverage of the Europa League. Of course they're going to talk about other teams left in the competition at the end of the show.

Somehow, I highly doubt that Ribery, Robben, Kroos and Schweinsteiger were gathered at Philip Lahm's house to watch the game.

Miserable negative prick.

My sentiments too: any competition which has Spurs vs Inter Milan is worth being in, end of story.

](*,)

You were watching the coverage of the Europa League. Of course they're going to talk about other teams left in the competition at the end of the show.

Somehow, I highly doubt that Ribery, Robben, Kroos and Schweinsteiger were gathered at Philip Lahm's house to watch the game.

Where as here after the Liverpool game we had 5 minutes of talk about 'heroic' Liverpool, a flash of the full scores with a few comments about the other english teams and that was it.

To me that shows there is difference in how the continent sees it. Ribery and Robben might not have sat and watched it (but also might well have for all you know) but plenty of football players, fans and media will have, more than do here, with genuine interest in football beyond their shores. Not the myopic, insular attitude that our media and so many of the english 'football fans' take.

I'm sorry but that's what I call abusing the right to have an opinion. Tougher to win than the Champions League? Jesus fudging Christ :lol: Only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8? If that's true then the Europa League doesn't have any teams that will give you a serious game.

A lot of you also seem to think that it's only the English that don't rate the Europa League. That's also nonsense:

"Europa League? I don't give a brick about this competition." - Aurelio De Laurentiis - Napoli Chairman

"I cannot imagine playing in the Europa League.
"That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don't play in it at all.
"Even winning the Europa League would not mean anything for me.
"That is not the title you want to win and it is not something I want.
" - Arjen Robben

Let's go through this again. By definition, if you are in this competition it means that you are not part of Europe's elite. It is a second rate competition for second rate teams. That's all. Now don't get me wrong, there are some highly talented players participating in this competition, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's enjoying a resurgence of any sort. I'm sure most of you and most of players watched the Real Madrid-Man Utd, and the Milan-Barcelona games. How many players and sets of fans from those four teams watched our game last night do you think?

It would be nice to win a trophy and there will be some entertaining games along the way. Certainly, a lot of the teams seem much closer matched and it's much tougher to predict the winners of the competition even after the CL drop-outs are involved. But don't pretend that this competition before the semi-finals if not the final gets any attention from anybody who's not involved in it themselves. I bet most of you can name me the last 5 scorelines from the last 5 CL finals. I bet very few of you can do it for the Europa League without looking it up.

If UEFA gave a CL spot to the winners, then it could be considered some sort of gateway or learning competition. But until then, it's an unnecessary distraction, without the financial or recognition awards to make it worthwhile.

So you've quoted one chairman and a player who has spent much of his career at England and the rest of it at 2 of the 4/5 biggest clubs in the world.

We are not amongst the football elites. We can give a good account of ourselves, like we did last time in the CL, but we're not going to win it. Teams like Man Utd, Chelsea and Real can afford to take the Europa league less seriously because they're winning domestic cups, league titles and champions leagues. We're winning a domestic cup every decade or so at the moment.

And when I and other posters say that European teams take it more seriously than we do, we don't mean the likes of Bayern or Real. We mean the teams that are actually more on our level or even slightly above, teams like Porto, Lyon, Athletico etc. The Eastern European teams have a shedload of good players now too and they take it seriously. You don't get all these kinds of teams consistently taking the tinkle with the competition like we, Liverpool, Stoke, Birmingham and pretty much all the other English teams have been doing recently.

When we start winning trophies on a regular basis, even bloody Carling cups or FA cups, or when we've appeared in the CL more than once in our history, then we can start turning our noses up at cups like the Europa league.

The UEFA Europa League is a major trophy (now just one of two available to European clubs since the Cup Winners' Cup was abolished) so of course it's worth the effort to try and win it.

I simply cannot understand anyone who thinks differently.

But I do feel that the Champions League should be reserved for clubs who actually won their nation's league while the Cup Winners' Cup should be brought back for FA Cup (or similar) winners.

The Europa League should be for teams who finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their respective Leagues and the League Cup (or similar) winners.

And there should be none of this switching from one competition to another nonsense.

I'm sorry but that's what I call abusing the right to have an opinion. Tougher to win than the Champions League? Jesus fudging Christ :lol: Only has teams that will give you a serious game from the last 8? If that's true then the Europa League doesn't have any teams that will give you a serious game.

A lot of you also seem to think that it's only the English that don't rate the Europa League. That's also nonsense:

"Europa League? I don't give a brick about this competition." - Aurelio De Laurentiis - Napoli Chairman

"I cannot imagine playing in the Europa League.
"That is the worst that can happen. I think it is better if you don't play in it at all.
"Even winning the Europa League would not mean anything for me.
"That is not the title you want to win and it is not something I want.
" - Arjen Robben

Let's go through this again. By definition, if you are in this competition it means that you are not part of Europe's elite. It is a second rate competition for second rate teams. That's all. Now don't get me wrong, there are some highly talented players participating in this competition, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that it's enjoying a resurgence of any sort. I'm sure most of you and most of players watched the Real Madrid-Man Utd, and the Milan-Barcelona games. How many players and sets of fans from those four teams watched our game last night do you think?

It would be nice to win a trophy and there will be some entertaining games along the way. Certainly, a lot of the teams seem much closer matched and it's much tougher to predict the winners of the competition even after the CL drop-outs are involved. But don't pretend that this competition before the semi-finals if not the final gets any attention from anybody who's not involved in it themselves. I bet most of you can name me the last 5 scorelines from the last 5 CL finals. I bet very few of you can do it for the Europa League without looking it up.

If UEFA gave a CL spot to the winners, then it could be considered some sort of gateway or learning competition. But until then, it's an unnecessary distraction, without the financial or recognition awards to make it worthwhile.

I've selected the last 16 from the CL and a select few from the last 32 from the EL.

CL

Porto
Malaga
PSG
Schalke
Arsenal
AC Milan
Dortmund
Real Madrid
Juventus
Shakhtar
Bayern
Barcelona
Celtic
Man Utd
Galatasaray

EL

Atletico Madrid
Inter Milan
Lazio
Tottenham Hotspur
Lyon
Stuttgart
Liverpool
Chelsea
Bayer Leverkusen
Zenit St Petersburg
Ajax
Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Napoli
Benfica
Bordeaux
Dynamo Kiev
Anzhi Makhachkala
Rubin Kazan

Unless your fudging blind or just ignorant, or plain stupid. That's a hell of a line up in the EL. I see 6 or 7 in the CL that are good teams, I see plenty more in the EL. That Milan-Barca game you talk about ? That was fudging brick compared to Liverpool-Zenit last night. There was no comparison in the slightest.

Yes everyone wants to be in the CL, its the money, glitz and glamour. Looking at the clubs and as I say, from the last 8 onwards, its not for the pure quality of the clubs. From your quotes, a lot of people do downrate the EL, but I see it more that most of them over-rate the CL.

Recent comments by UEFA suggest that they recognize the need to drive up the appeal of Europa League. It seemed like they are aware of the need to offer stronger reward, both financial and competitive as well as do away with the drop-down aspect for third-placed CL teams.

The Spurs-Lyon game was top billing on Sportsnet in Canada. Good studio analysis afterward, also giving the Spurs-Inter tie a lot of hype. They immediately switched to the conclusion of the Chelsea match and showed abundant highlights of other games. Then switched to the extra-time and shootout of Steaua-Ajax. Very good sign.

On FAUX Sawker stateside, not so much. Lot of sucking up to Liverpool and Chelsea. But pretty excited about the quality on display in Europa League.

The daily FAUX Sawker Report is very uncharitable to Spurs. Since it's run by a gooner, they spend unconscionable amounts of time grief counselling Arsenal fans, with Liverpool a close second.

Last edited:

Had a good chat with a few lads from work today, all were saying about how good the EL is this year, its defo gaining in kudos

Had a good chat with a few lads from work today, all were saying about how good the EL is this year, its defo gaining in kudos

I agree. Probably somewhat coincidental with some bigger teams in it this season, but seems to be growing overall too.

Recent comments by UEFA suggest that they recognize the need to drive up the appeal of Europa League. It seemed like they are aware of the need to offer stronger reward, both financial and competitive as well as do away with the drop-down aspect for third-placed CL teams.

The Spurs-Lyon game was top billing on Sportsnet in Canada. Good studio analysis afterward, also giving the Spurs-Inter tie a lot of hype. They immediately switched to the conclusion of the Chelsea match and showed abundant highlights of other games. Then switched to the extra-time and shootout of Steaua-Ajax. Very good sign.

On FAUX Sawker stateside, not so much. Lot of sucking up to Liverpool and Chelsea. But pretty excited about the quality on display in Europa League.

The daily FAUX Sawker Report is very uncharitable to Spurs. Since it's run by a gooner, they spend unconscionable amounts of time grief counselling Arsenal fans, with Liverpool a close second.

Not sure about the bolded part. Bigger teams makes it a bigger tournament, some teams that are well worth watching that improve the quality of the tournament among the teams dropping down from the CL. As long as they take it seriously I think they will add to the quality of the tournament, not take away from it.

If UEFA is serious about wanting teams to take it seriously all they have to do is up the prize money a bit. That's just about the only thing that gets clubs interested.

I get the feeling that the only teams that don't care about the tournament are a couple of teams from the very biggest leagues, like us last season. Some teams from Spain and Italy I suppose. Most others teams want to win it and I think teams like Porto and A. Madrid have been very happy about winning it in recent years. Those aren't small clubs.

I definitely want to win the competition, but I'm not sure if I want to win it more than finishing in the top 4, it's a tough one. I understand the arguement about not wanting to be like Arsenal who don't win trophies anymore, but the fact is you need CL football in order to keep your best players and I can't see Bale and Lloris sticking around much longer without this.

As for it having better teams than the CL? Behave. Barca, Real Madrid, Dortmund and Bayern Munich are comforably the 4 best teams in Europe, plus you've got Man United, PSG, Valencia and Porto, all good teams. Now that doesn't mean the likes of Leverkusen, Napoli, Atletico Madrid, Lazio and Spurs wouldn't do well in the European Cup. I think the profile of the competition has been raised in the last 12 months with United, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Ajax etc dropping down into the competition. And no doubt the last round was filled with good teams. But let's be honest, the group stages are painfully dull. The group stage of the CL had great games, Real Madrid-Emirates Marketing Project, Dortmund-Madrid for example. All of our group games were pretty dull.

There's no doubt UEFA have a lot to answer for in regards to devaluing the competition, letting the CL rejects into the Europa absolutely devalues it in my eyes. They also need to give higher financial incentives, lets face it, the game is about money too. UEFA can't be short of money.

I definitely want to win the competition, but I'm not sure if I want to win it more than finishing in the top 4, it's a tough one. I understand the argument about not wanting to be like Arsenal who don't win trophies anymore, but the fact is you need CL football in order to keep your best players and I can't see Bale and Lloris sticking around much longer without this.

CL doesn't stop Arsenal from losing their best players, so why would it for us? And this is whilst they have that shiny new stadium that we are yearning for, the one that'll enable us to compete financially with the top, you know, like Arsen- ah, hang on.

Would much much rather win the Europa league than get fourth place if given the choice, no brainer for me.

First of all, no one seems to know what is happening at Arsenal finance wise. Do they really have boat loads of money but Wenger is just being stubborn or are they skint?

I want to win trophies too but football has changed over the past 15 years or so, not saying I agree with it, but the Champions League is where all the top players want to be and it also brings significant financial rewards. I sound like an accountant rather than a football fan saying this, but I'm just being pragmatic.

Arsenal have lost players because they cannot compete for all the top honours like they used to. There are some clubs not footballers just won't say no to i.e. Real Madrid, Barca, Man United, but a club in the CL makes them an attractive proposition.

I don't agree with you but I can see why you would rather win the Europa. But those CL nights at the lane were incredible and I want more of them.

Here's a question: Would people rather say 3 years of CL qualification or a couple of Europa League titles and no CL football for the next 3 seasons?

Ugh, such a pet peeve of mine. I have to pay extra to get FSC included in my cable package, and half of the talking points are about the fudging scum. Thursday was Europa League day; the main segment was a panel discussion about Wenger. Spurs match had 15 seconds of highlights...both goals and Bale's miss. Half of the presenters can't even pronounce well-known players' names. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

I think the argument is one that we'll have to agree to disagree on but I do think that most would look back with more fondness reminiscing....

"Ah yeah 2013 I remember that season, winning the Europa league was boss - beating Chelsea in the final was pretty good, and turns out Amsterdam is a delightful place to visit, who knew..."

as opposed to....

"Ah yeah, 2013, it was nice that we got lots of money for qualifying for that competition we were never going to win, some lovely spreadsheets floating about for a bit..."

Obviously I'm taking the tinkle a bit but I want to look back on the things we've won. And as Arsenal shows, having CL and a shiny new stadium doesn't necessarily ensure that the club will be moving in the right direction.

Can I please remind everyone to REMAIN CIVIL IN DISAGREEMENT however hard that can sometimes be...

We are ALL Spurs in the end...

Thank!

COYS

Would people rather say 3 years of CL qualification or a couple of Europa League titles and no CL football for the next 3 seasons?

Trophies. Far rather win the Europa League / Cup/ thingy than just be another Arsenal, forever in the top 4 and winning nothing. We are not accountants, we are fans driven by passion. Following Spurs has nothing to do with logic, everything to do with emotion and the buzz of seeing Spurs win. Winning this Europa thingy would be wonderful, end of story. We are not a Man U, but neither is anyone else, so we don't need an inferiority complex about not playing in the CL. I don't think we will win the EL this year, but I would rather win something than come 4th, even if that means that Bale goes.
But then I'm old fashioned, and when I grew up, Cups were king.

Back