• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Definitive Worst Tottenham Eleven

Wasn't it just after Gerry Francis first took over? We kept about six clean sheets in a row which equalled the club record, something like that. The run ended at West Ham I think (although we did turn it around to win the match 2-1!).

Yep, we were on for a club record and it wasn't West Ham but Bolton at home that ended it. We also could have gone 2nd that day had we won too. Nayim appeared on the Big Screens DURING THE GAME cue mass hysteria (the usual bowing and Nayimmmmmmmm chants). This was only the season after that infamous goal. This is credited with our players losing concentration and Bolton getting back into the game (they were 2-0 down at the time, late in the game).

And yes, Calderwood started the season as one of the main centre backs with Mabbs but Campbell eased him out as the season went on. I think he, like Clive Wilson, ends up remembered not so fondly because whilst they were okay to start with, they got worst and worst as age caught up with them. Yet they survived a good few years after that season. Calderwood must have been 31/32 at this stage. Wilson was 34. Neither should be anywhere near worst XIs because they did at least show some decent form for us whereas there is plenty who weren't ever any good. On the flip side, they were playing in slightly better teams than many of the others. There also tends to a bias in including players from that era because ability wise they look so terrible compared to today. But it shows how much more quality has come into the league. Believe me, Chris Armstrong was brilliant in 95/96 too. Did some fantastic work out wide and created a ton of goals for Sheringham. That strike partnership ended up scoring more than Klinsmann/Sheringham did. This is what also makes me reconsider someone like Klinsmann. He tore up that league but didn't score at a great rate in Italy or at Monaco or when he went back to Germany. And he was finished when he came back here. Which makes me think he was something of a flat track bully for that season.

Yep, we were on for a club record and it wasn't West Ham but Bolton at home that ended it. We also could have gone 2nd that day had we won too. Nayim appeared on the Big Screens DURING THE GAME cue mass hysteria (the usual bowing and Nayimmmmmmmm chants). This was only the season after that infamous goal. This is credited with our players losing concentration and Bolton getting back into the game (they were 2-0 down at the time, late in the game).

I believe the record was matched in both seasons.

It definitely happened up to the West Ham game in 94/5. We then had a similar record in the following season up to the Bolton game around Christmas 95.

I believe the record was matched in both seasons.

It definitely happened up to the West Ham game in 94/5. We then had a similar record in the following season up to the Bolton game around Christmas 95.

Yep but I remember more being of it in 1996, for some reason? IIRC it might have been that 1996 was the minutes without conceding a goal record. Which probably would have been longer given Arsenal got an early goal in the last game that we'd conceded in.

Bumped:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tottenham/id/639?&cc=3436

I sometimes feel that the modern Spurs fan (and I include myself in that) needs to have a reality check. Of course it's frustrating when this very good Tottenham side falls just short of what we supporters know it could achieve with just a little tweaking (by little tweaking I mean a decent striker).

It would be agonising if Spurs missed out on a Champions League place again, having spent most of the season in the top four, but only in the same way that I find it agonising when my home WiFi isn't working or I run out of Nespresso capsules. It's a first world problem.

Because these are the best days of my Spurs supporting life. Tottenham have finished in the top five of the Premier League in five of the last seven seasons. In comparison, between 1997 and 2005, the highest the club finished was ninth.

Now those were the days when the moaning Spurs fan really had something to get their teeth into. Mid-table every season, with some truly boring football from some truly terrible players.

So just to put into perspective how lucky we Tottenham supporters are these days, I've picked a team of the worst players that I've seen turn out for the club. This is a side that I'd put my money on the reserves beating these days.

Goalkeeper - Bobby Mimms

Like Heurelho Gomes, but without the spectacular saves to counter-balance the blunders. The nadir of his Tottenham career was when he let in a tame shot from distance go through his legs against QPR. As it was on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road, he couldn't even pretend that the ball had bobbled up.

Right-Back - Paul Staltieri

There's a lot of competition for this spot, with Dean Austin and David Kerslake coming to mind, but I'm going for Staltieri. The Canadian made so many errors in the 2005-06 season that it is he rather than the dodgy lasagne that should be blamed for Arsenal finishing above Spurs that season.

Left-Back - Justin Edinburgh

Again, there's so many contenders. Ben Thatcher, Paolo Tramezzani and Gilberto were all terrible. However, it is Edinburgh who gets the spot for his longevity in the team, despite being utterly useless. Few players as bad as he have made over 200 appearances for the club.

Centre-Back - Ramon Vega

When Vega signed for Spurs, the then manager Gerry Francis compared him to Tony Adams. I can only imagine that Francis meant that he played like he was drunk. A total waste of money, back in the days when £3.75 million was a lot to spend on a player.

Centre-Back - Gary Doherty

There was a debate when Gary Doherty first joined Spurs as to whether he was a better centre-back or striker. Now I'm debating as to whether I should pick Doherty as both a centre-back and a striker in this worst Spurs XI.

Central Midfield - Jason Dozzell

Here's a tip. If you're signing for Spurs, don't say that you're going to be the next Glenn Hoddle, as Jason Dozzell did when Ossie Ardiles wasted a lot of money on him. Dozzell should have instead said that he was going to be the next Andy Gray, which brings us to...

Central Midfield - Andy Gray

Gray looked a decent player at Crystal Palace, but was out of his depth in the more pressurised environment at White Hart Lane. Having won one international cap, this is a player who would also be a contender in my worst ever England XI.

Right Wing - David Bentley

The fact that Bentley is currently on loan at the very club that Spurs signed him from in 2008, shows what a colossal waste of time his Tottenham 'career' has been. It is rumoured that £7 million of the transfer fee Spurs paid, went to his former club Arsenal, which just makes things even more painful.

Left Wing - Andy Sinton

Sinton was another player who looked half-decent at a smaller club, but not good enough at Spurs. He didn't have a huge amount of pace, couldn't dribble, score goals or cross, which is always going to be a bit of an issue if you're a winger.

Striker - Andy Booth

I remember the day well when a friend sent me a text message telling me to check out the Teletext football headlines, because it was a sad day for Tottenham Hotspur. The top headline revealed that Spurs had signed Andy Booth on loan. As is apt for a striker in a worst ever Tottenham XI, he failed to score a goal for the club.

Striker - Grzegorz Rasiak

At least Spurs only loaned Andy Booth. Grzegorz Rasiak was signed on the last day of the 2005-06 transfer window for actual money. Despite being 6' 3" he couldn't win a header, due to an apparent inability to jump. Rasiak also failed to score a single goal for Tottenham.

Thoughts?

Bumped:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tottenham/id/639?&cc=3436

I sometimes feel that the modern Spurs fan (and I include myself in that) needs to have a reality check. Of course it's frustrating when this very good Tottenham side falls just short of what we supporters know it could achieve with just a little tweaking (by little tweaking I mean a decent striker).

It would be agonising if Spurs missed out on a Champions League place again, having spent most of the season in the top four, but only in the same way that I find it agonising when my home WiFi isn't working or I run out of Nespresso capsules. It's a first world problem.

Because these are the best days of my Spurs supporting life. Tottenham have finished in the top five of the Premier League in five of the last seven seasons. In comparison, between 1997 and 2005, the highest the club finished was ninth.

Now those were the days when the moaning Spurs fan really had something to get their teeth into. Mid-table every season, with some truly boring football from some truly terrible players.

So just to put into perspective how lucky we Tottenham supporters are these days, I've picked a team of the worst players that I've seen turn out for the club. This is a side that I'd put my money on the reserves beating these days.

Goalkeeper - Bobby Mimms

Like Heurelho Gomes, but without the spectacular saves to counter-balance the blunders. The nadir of his Tottenham career was when he let in a tame shot from distance go through his legs against QPR. As it was on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road, he couldn't even pretend that the ball had bobbled up.

Right-Back - Paul Staltieri

There's a lot of competition for this spot, with Dean Austin and David Kerslake coming to mind, but I'm going for Staltieri. The Canadian made so many errors in the 2005-06 season that it is he rather than the dodgy lasagne that should be blamed for Arsenal finishing above Spurs that season.

Left-Back - Justin Edinburgh

Again, there's so many contenders. Ben Thatcher, Paolo Tramezzani and Gilberto were all terrible. However, it is Edinburgh who gets the spot for his longevity in the team, despite being utterly useless. Few players as bad as he have made over 200 appearances for the club.

Centre-Back - Ramon Vega

When Vega signed for Spurs, the then manager Gerry Francis compared him to Tony Adams. I can only imagine that Francis meant that he played like he was drunk. A total waste of money, back in the days when £3.75 million was a lot to spend on a player.

Centre-Back - Gary Doherty

There was a debate when Gary Doherty first joined Spurs as to whether he was a better centre-back or striker. Now I'm debating as to whether I should pick Doherty as both a centre-back and a striker in this worst Spurs XI.

Central Midfield - Jason Dozzell

Here's a tip. If you're signing for Spurs, don't say that you're going to be the next Glenn Hoddle, as Jason Dozzell did when Ossie Ardiles wasted a lot of money on him. Dozzell should have instead said that he was going to be the next Andy Gray, which brings us to...

Central Midfield - Andy Gray

Gray looked a decent player at Crystal Palace, but was out of his depth in the more pressurised environment at White Hart Lane. Having won one international cap, this is a player who would also be a contender in my worst ever England XI.

Right Wing - David Bentley

The fact that Bentley is currently on loan at the very club that Spurs signed him from in 2008, shows what a colossal waste of time his Tottenham 'career' has been. It is rumoured that £7 million of the transfer fee Spurs paid, went to his former club Arsenal, which just makes things even more painful.

Left Wing - Andy Sinton

Sinton was another player who looked half-decent at a smaller club, but not good enough at Spurs. He didn't have a huge amount of pace, couldn't dribble, score goals or cross, which is always going to be a bit of an issue if you're a winger.

Striker - Andy Booth

I remember the day well when a friend sent me a text message telling me to check out the Teletext football headlines, because it was a sad day for Tottenham Hotspur. The top headline revealed that Spurs had signed Andy Booth on loan. As is apt for a striker in a worst ever Tottenham XI, he failed to score a goal for the club.

Striker - Grzegorz Rasiak

At least Spurs only loaned Andy Booth. Grzegorz Rasiak was signed on the last day of the 2005-06 transfer window for actual money. Despite being 6' 3" he couldn't win a header, due to an apparent inability to jump. Rasiak also failed to score a single goal for Tottenham.

Thoughts?

Filthy. Well done Sir!!!

I'm not saying that it would have been different but if only Rasiak's goal against Liverpool had been allowed to stand, perhaps we would have seen a better and more confident player.

Then again, if only Postiga had scored against Arsenal, instead of missing all those chances! Who knows how good he could have been?

I can't believe it only took a couple of posts for someone to mention Postiga. He made a move at the wrong time to the wrong club but the career he's had tells you he doesn't belong on any list of worst players.

I think it was Leeds we played and Postiga didn't score but played an absolute blinder and the commentators were saying we found ourselves a beauty. He didn't get many goals, but Bergkamp took about a season to get into the swing of it at the goons.

I think it was Leeds we played and Postiga didn't score but played an absolute blinder and the commentators were saying we found ourselves a beauty. He didn't get many goals, but Bergkamp took about a season to get into the swing of it at the goons.

Rebrov is often talked about amongst the worst players too and yet this is unfair. I think he had talent but for whatever reason, the move didn't work out for him in spite of the initial promise that he showed against Ipswich in his home debut.

Rebrov was class, he was a victim of the dross he played with

Tremazzani has to be in the conversation though, he made Edinburgh look like Maldini

Rebrov is often talked about amongst the worst players too and yet this is unfair. I think he had talent but for whatever reason, the move didn't work out for him in spite of the initial promise that he showed against Ipswich in his home debut.

Can't believe that people are talking about Postiga, Rebrov or Tainio in this thread. We've had so much brick that these boys are world beaters in comparison.

For me:

Booby Mimms
David Kerslake
Paulo Tremezzani
Stuart Nethercott
Gary Doherty
Andy Gray
Mbulelo Mabizela
Johnny Jackson
Milenko Acimovic
Ronnie Rosenthal
Grzegorz Rasiak

Quite a shower of brick although I know there are oh so many more waiting in the wings vying for places in this team.

I will, however, defend Dean Austin. Loved him for some reason back in the day. Thought he was the business. Remember a great performance v Arsenal in the 93 semi and against United when we tonked them 4-1 on NYD in 1996. That said, the only clips I see of him now are Ginola mugging him at the Lane in a 1-1 draw and Giggs doing likewise for that 'wondergoal' in 1992. Still think Austin would have been a very good right back had he not broken his leg.

Rebrov was class, he was a victim of the dross he played with

Tremazzani has to be in the conversation though, he made Edinburgh look like Maldini

Point 1: He was a victim of Glenn Hoddle. Never understood why Hoddle didn't take to him.
Point 2: Exactly. At any other club, Edinburgh is the worst left back in history but in comparison to Paulo (Tremezzani that is, not Maldini), he isn't even in the race.

Taricco as well, not the best LB by any means and a dirty little sod - but I kind of admired his attitude

Tidy little player Taricco (and I'm not joking). Loved his attitude, should be nowhere near a worst 11. Chris Perry played with heart and put in some truly "Dawes -esque" blocks.

But Doherty - the number of pens he gave away, Jesus H Christ.
As for Rasiak - GHod alone knows what we saw in him, easily the worst forward I have ever seen in the shirt.

Moussa Saib
Darren Caskey
Stuart Nethercott
Alton Thellwell
Jose Domiguez
Rohan Ricketts

were all dog brick. Not quite as bad as your Kerslakes and Edinburghs but pretty woeful none the less.

As for big signings Chris Armstrong wasn't the most inspiring.

As for just farcical Goran Bunjevcevic. Utter dross.

Back