• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Definitive Worst Tottenham Eleven

Wow - sometimes it does you good to be reminded just how cack we were.

For me Mido, the egyptian pharoh. When he arrived he was hailed by Jol as the best header of a ball in Europe. By the time he left, it was more like Mr Blobby

Scored quite a few nice goals for us though, 20 goals in 63 games to be exact - not that bad, really.

Redknap was a top, top player....at Liverpool. Clearly injuries had caught up with him and his legs had gone, by the time we got him. Says a lot about how low Spurs had ebbed back then.

Here's a few that got a few games for us...

Paul Mahorn
Steve Slade
Espen Baardsen
Paul McVeigh
Jose Dominguez
Roger Nilsen
Ben Thatcher
Jonathan Blondel
Rohan Ricketts
Noe Pamarot

Mahorn - I remember going to a game and he would get abused by a few of the loud mouths with nothing between their ears, he literally received a pass for the first time and was abused with crys of 'mahorn you are fudging brick' from a couple of people, I never knew what he had done before that day to warrant that, seeing as he clearly didn't have enough game time to judge at the time. He must have felt like brick as he could blatantly hear it

The XI on show last Sunday were pretty 'definitive'!!

Nah, I'm being too harsh... "we've nevver 'ad it so good!"

From the 70,s, definitely Ian Moores.
I kid you not, he was hated.
In those days, you had to get in the ground early, and the team would be read out several times before ko.
Every player was roundly cheered until they got to Moores, who was boo,ed worse than anyone i can remember.
And he had a double who sold roasted peanuts in the crowd who got as much stick!!

PEANUTS! ROASTED PEANUTS!! :lol:

Oh happy, crappy days they were...

Ha ha I remember the peanut geezer! Quality memory! And the abuse he got! Yes, Ian Moores only "achievement" was 2 goals in a 3-2 win at Old Trafford in '76, the blond beardy taco!!!!!!!

Keith Osgood didn't exactly pull up trees for me, and quite how Willie Young has escaped detection is beyond me!!!!!Ginger taco-faced c**t!

:eek: Bloody hell is he still alive? Re-sign him for next years' trip!

For me John Scales must have a place in this team (though he had a lot of injuries). It's the only player I've really not liked

Suprised that nobody has mentioned Ghaly considering how much he was hated. I didn't mind him but some of the abuse he used to get was ridiculous.

A few others that haven't been mentioned:

Andy Reid - Scored a good goal against Villa once, but was so fat and slow, clearly out of his depth and didn't suit a team playing fast paced attacking football at all.

John Scales - I remember getting excited that we were signing a player who had been in the England team. Think he was signed just to keep Anderton company in the injury room, because he was no more useful on the pitch than he was there.

Colin Calderwood - We had worse defenders than him, but the fact that he stayed first choice throughout much of the 90s when he was clearly brick means he warrants a mention for me.

Colin Calderwood - We had worse defenders than him, but the fact that he stayed first choice throughout much of the 90s when he was clearly brick means he warrants a mention for me.

Didn't him and Mabbutt create some defensive record together? I remember him being quite good!

Didn't him and Mabbutt create some defensive record together? I remember him being quite good!

Well...Tottenham have been characterised by good attacking play and poor defending for decades. In Jol's first season we set a record for the fewest league goals conceded since 1971, and that was still averaging more than a goal per game conceded. To put things into perspective, that same season Chelsea only conceded 15 league goals - we'd set a 34 year record and conceded almost three times as many!

Wasn't it just after Gerry Francis first took over? We kept about six clean sheets in a row which equalled the club record, something like that. The run ended at West Ham I think (although we did turn it around to win the match 2-1!).

I remember watching Cambridge v a Spurs XI when Calderwood had retired and taken over as Reserve boss. He played himself and Cambridge United won about 5 or 6 -1 and he got the run around from some non-league whipper snappers!!

Well...Tottenham have been characterised by good attacking play and poor defending for decades. In Jol's first season we set a record for the fewest league goals conceded since 1971, and that was still averaging more than a goal per game conceded. To put things into perspective, that same season Chelsea only conceded 15 league goals - we'd set a 34 year record and conceded almost three times as many!

Not quite. It was the best since 1996. Where we conceded the same number.

And you mention Chelsea's total there and this shows it is also partly a reflection of how uncompetitive the league has become. Looking back at the title winners in the 80s, in all but one season did the title winners concede more than we did in Jol's first season or under Francis in 1996. And I've accounted for the extra games in some of those seasons. The winners more often than not were Liverpool, who were not exactly known back then for being poor defensively. And also the back pass law has been dropped since then and the change in the rules generally to help attacking play. Yet they conceded more than we did under Francis or Jol! Why? Because it was a proper competitive league back then. Not the nonesense we have today.

Whereas this season Man Utd are on course for probably 34-36 conceded, last season was 37, Chelsea in 2010 was 32 goals, Man Utd in 09 was 24, 08 was 22, 07 was 29 and you mention Chelsea there from 2006.

Last edited:
Back