• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Obviously Patarici may have his own 'list' but I'd take Andersen from Lyon. That year in the prem is great prep for him and he looked decent.
Gone off Pau Torres...yes he's graceful, like Jan, but doesn't have Jan's edge and canniness (sp)
Diogo Leite at Porto is well worth a look, doesn't get as many games as he should (was probably hoping Pepe would play less) and bigger clubs were sniffing around. Portuguese, so Fonseca may be aware?
Roger Ibanez at Roma...but Jose is there so probably no chance.

Obviously Patarici may have his own 'list' but I'd take Andersen from Lyon. That year in the prem is great prep for him and he looked decent.

Agreed, particularly if the price tag is just £25m. We could recoup most of that from selling Dier or Sanchez, or at least not use up all the Foyth cash.

Simplistic I know however:
- Sanchez + Foyth cash gets us a new CB
- Sell Dier and Davies - proceeds gets us a second new CB
- Sell Aurier and Doherty - gets us a new RB
...and if we're clever about it, probably have some funds left over

Agreed, particularly if the price tag is just £25m. We could recoup most of that from selling Dier or Sanchez, or at least not use up all the Foyth cash.

Edwards and Foyth is £18m ish
That’s the bulk of the money for Andersen who would cost £20m ish IMO (Lyon will want to sell to buy and he is saleable) so that money would cover the bulk of him IMO
We need enough money for another which comes again from selling someone else (Aurier and Sanchez)

I agree with the principle. But I still think we have to keep one of Sanchez or Dier, and lose Alderweireld instead; just because of his age/the high line issue.

Of the 3 I think (this won't be a popular opinion) Sanchez is the one to keep. He's the only one with decent pace and the high line means his errors aren't the same issue as they are in a low block

6 defenders out (7 with CCV) and 3 in; leaving us with something like (with about zero net spend):

Reguilon--------Torres------Andersen------Bogle
(Sessegnon)----(Rodon)---(Sanchez)----(Tanganga)

Last edited:
Edwards and Foyth is £18m ish
That’s the bulk of the money for Andersen who would cost £20m ish IMO (Lyon will want to sell to buy and he is saleable) so that money would cover the bulk of him IMO
We need enough money for another which comes again from selling someone else (Aurier and Sanchez)
Out of a pool of possible sells...Sanchez Dier Aurier Doherty Winks Sissoko Moura Lamela +£18m Foyth Edwards money we could aim for 5 X £25m (approx) players
2 X CH (Andersen +1more)
1 X starting RB
1 X CM (Sabitzer?)
1 X across the front line forward (thuram, ebolo?)

If that lot cost us a total of £125m the net spend wouldn't be high.

Of the 3 I think (this won't be a popular opinion) Sanchez is the one to keep. He's the only one with decent pace and the high line means his errors aren't the same issue as they are in a low block
What are you expecting from Sanchez, more than running quickly I hope (he's not super quick either).?
As he is one of our players, the attention we pay to him is microscopic, has that not provided enough evidence for you (he's been here a long time) to conclude, he doesn't have a skillset and doesn't look like adding to it ie let's move on.

Toby has his physical limitations but rarely do I feel nervous about his presence on the field. He will obviously not play every game but is quite clearly capable to deal with the non elite opponents. More valuable could be his experience and calmness when paired and training with the younger CHs that we will probably have 2 or 3 of.

Reactions: DTA
I agree with the principle. But I still think we have to keep one of Sanchez or Dier, and lose Alderweireld instead; just because of his age/the high line issue.

6 defenders out (7 with CCV) and 3 in; leaving us with something like (with about zero net spend):

Reguilon--------Torres------Andersen------Bogle
(Sessegnon)----(Rodon)---(Sanchez)----(Tanganga)
His errors in a high line do happen though as he never wins the first ball so players get away form him
Dier let’s himself get turned too often
And Toby can’t head or run

Reactions: DTA
Out of a pool of possible sells...Sanchez Dier Aurier Doherty Winks Sissoko Moura Lamela +£18m Foyth Edwards money we could aim for 5 X £25m (approx) players
2 X CH (Andersen +1more)
1 X starting RB
1 X CM (Sabitzer?)

Yeah i kinda agree with this
We can offload enough players for enough line to cover the bulk of the deals we need IMO

What are you expecting from Sanchez, more than running quickly I hope (he's not super quick either).?
As he is one of our players, the attention we pay to him is microscopic, has that not provided enough evidence for you (he's been here a long time) to conclude, he doesn't have a skillset and doesn't look like adding to it ie let's move on.

Toby has his physical limitations but rarely do I feel nervous about his presence on the field. He will obviously not play every game but is quite clearly capable to deal with the non elite opponents. More valuable could be his experience and calmness when paired and training with the younger CHs that we will probably have 2 or 3 of.

I'd just like to see the Sanchez we had for the 17-18 season. He looked really capable alround then. There is a player in there.

Alderweireld's physical decline had started two years ago. Only Mourinho's low block has allowed him to continue a bit longer I think

I'd just like to see the Sanchez we had for the 17-18 season. He looked really capable alround then. There is a player in there.
Thats the problem. Back then he had two fantastic CB partners and a wall of steel in front of him. You can't expect that level of comfort every week/season.

We are in 2021 now. That's a lot of football we have to see past to think he's worth keeping.

Him and Dier have positional awareness/concentration issues, the hardest thing to train/develop, often fatal not to have at the elite level.

Alderweireld's physical decline had started two years ago. Only Mourinho's low block has allowed him to continue a bit longer I think

Giving Toby a new contract particularly after he pulled up at Wembley with that hernia, was mental.

2 X CH (Andersen +1more)
1 X starting RB
1 X CM (Sabitzer?)

If we had as much as that to spend I'd go for something like:
GK: Likakovic (~£15m)
RB: Dumfries (~20m)
CB: Milenkovic (~20m)
CB: Elvedi (~25m)
CM: Soumare (~20m)
AM: Pereira (~20m)

If we could somehow find room for an excellent young player as well like Olise then even better.

If we had as much as that to spend I'd go for something like:
GK: Likakovic (~£15m)
RB: Dumfries (~20m)
CB: Milenkovic (~20m)
CB: Elvedi (~25m)
CM: Soumare (~20m)
AM: Pereira (~20m)

If we could somehow find room for an excellent young player as well like Olise then even better.
We need some homegrown players. We wouldn't be able to name that many OS ones.

It's why we're probably having to look at players like White for CB and Bogle for RB

We need some homegrown players. We wouldn't be able to name that many OS ones.

It's why we're probably having to look at players like White for CB and Bogle for RB
If selling the 7 overseas players in our squad mentioned in the post I quoted then we’d absolutely be able to sign 6 new overseas players.

If selling the 7 overseas players in our squad mentioned in the post I quoted then we’d absolutely be able to sign 6 new overseas players.

Fair enough.

I think it will also be good to re-establish a homegrown core. The drift in connection between the fans and team over the past 21 months has also coincided with us going from having 5 members of the England squad to 1.

Fair enough.

I think it will also be good to re-establish a homegrown core. The drift in connection between the fans and team over the past 21 months has also coincided with us going from having 5 members of the England squad to 1.

Really don't think the disenchantment has anything to do with the nationality of the players or whether they are homegrown. Think it is the crap football we have played, pure and simple.

I think a return to the strategy of looking for the next Dele or Walker/Naughton deals in the EFL is better than more hit and miss swings at overseas youth or stars but that ain't why this place is so grumpy.

Fair enough.

It’s likely to go down to none next year....

We need 8 English players if we want to have a squad of 25 players (ignoring the rules around under 21s).
Hart (might as well keep him around as a 3rd choice keeper, though I'd replace him with Jordan Archer seeing as Archer would be cheaper in wages and counts as home grown as well as association trained)
Sessegnon
Tanganga
Skipp
Rodin (counts as Association trained in the PL)
Dele
Kane
Done!

If selling Kane (I’m assuming we will) then we could use some of that budget to purchase some more association trained players such as Aarons or Bogle, Ings, Olise, McNeil, Tarkowski, or whoever else.

Last edited:
Back