• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Most people are agreed that our big summer 2021 business needs to be to fix our centre back situation. Who do you want to see come in? What traits are most needed?

New Vertonghen

So our biggest need is for a quick, cultured, left-sided option.

For me the first two names are Pau Torres of Villareal and Sven Botman of Lille. Do any global football watchers have any other suggestions though?

New Alderweireld

Our secondary need is for a new starter on the other side. While we already have 4 options for this, none really seem at the level now to be first choice. Most rumours suggest Lyon's Joachim Andersen is likely to happen. But are there any alternatives?

Merih Demiral?

Ben white would be one I’d look at but would need a clever deal as his price is high
tarkowski is one too and he has one year left and would walk here for a chance
Kounde would be amazing but his price would reflect that
Brooks at Wolfsburg could develop into a quality player. He plays very much like Toby but with a bit more pace
Tapsoba at Bayer will end up over here or at Bayern. He could be the next big thing IMO

Said it before, if we have £70M to spend on CB's, I'd much rather 1 top level CB vs. two mid level.

1 Top level CB can rotate around Toby/Rodon/Tanganaga, go for Toby's replacement next summer.

I think Alderweireld is gone this summer whatever (Conte was probably his last chance). His legs were gone two years ago for any higher line than Mourinho's low block. Would you make that same statement if you replaced him with Sanchez or Dier?

I don't think we'll need to spend that much on a CB, especially if we shop in bankrupt France. Our only issue is that United and Liverpool are potentially shopping for the same type of player as New Vertonghen as a long term partner for Maguire/van Dijk.

Fabrizio Romano is alleging that the young Fulham defender Tosin has a contract clause allowing him to leave for £10m

Most people are agreed that our big summer 2021 business needs to be to fix our centre back situation. Who do you want to see come in? What traits are most needed?

New Vertonghen

So our biggest need is for a quick, cultured, left-sided option.

For me the first two names are Pau Torres of Villareal and Sven Botman of Lille. Do any global football watchers have any other suggestions though?

New Alderweireld

Our secondary need is for a new starter on the other side. While we already have 4 options for this, none really seem at the level now to be first choice. Most rumours suggest Lyon's Joachim Andersen is likely to happen. But are there any alternatives?

I like Botman, he's had a good season but I am a little concerned about whether he could play in the kind of system that we are likely to adopt next season. Lille played a low block and forced opponents to play wide and put crosses in, which Botman was excellent at dealing with. I am not sure how he would be in a team playing a higher line and looking to play out from the back/deep circulation.

The priority for me would be signing some defenders who are press resistant and comfortable on the ball under pressure.

I like Botman, he's had a good season but I am a little concerned about whether he could play in the kind of system that we are likely to adopt next season. Lille played a low block and forced opponents to play wide and put crosses in, which Botman was excellent at dealing with. I am not sure how he would be in a team playing a higher line and looking to play out from the back/deep circulation.

The priority for me would be signing some defenders who are press resistant and comfortable on the ball under pressure.

Agree, plus have ability to dominate the aerial aspect. Big weakness in our current CB setup is none are great in the air, you look at the top CBs in PL most of them are great at winning those high balls.

You can choke the space in the middle as a defensive tactic but if all that leads to is the opposition going out wide and pumping balls in, you back lines needs to be able to clean that up.

Agree, plus have ability to dominate the aerial aspect. Big weakness in our current CB setup is none are great in the air, you look at the top CBs in PL most of them are great at winning those high balls.

You can choke the space in the middle as a defensive tactic but if all that leads to is the opposition going out wide and pumping balls in, you back lines needs to be able to clean that up.

How many teams do that now that Allardyce and Pulis are no longer in the league? Most bottom half EPL teams try to play football now. There's not even many big beast CFs in the game at the moment. Do you buy a CB like that just for the sake of having someone to put up against Chris Wood? No other big 6 club even has a proper #9.

Botman is very good in the air. I think that it is a bit less of an issue if you play a high line but agree that our current crop (apart from Rodon) are poor in the air.

How many teams do that now that Allardyce and Pulis are no longer in the league? Most bottom half EPL teams try to play football now. There's not even many big hunk of burning love CFs in the game at the moment. Do you buy a CB like that just for the sake of having someone to put up against Chris Wood? No other big 6 club even has a proper #9.

Everyone did it against us. They attacked down our right and put balls into the back post because Dier is brick in the air.

Reactions: DTA
Everyone did it against us. They attacked down our right and put balls into the back post because Dier is brick in the air.
Hopefully Rodon can establish himself as he seems to be somewhat more accomplished at heading balls away and competing in aerial challenges

But we also defended the whole game inside our 18 yard box under Mourinho. Assuming we start defending on the halfway line like a normal team again, that pretty much nullifies deep crossing

But we also defended the whole game inside our 18 yard box under Mourinho. Assuming we start defending on the halfway line like a normal team again, that pretty much nullifies deep crossing

It was a problem in Poch's final few months too but I agree that defending deep doesn't help

Back