• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

Nexus 7 is awesome

You can stream all your films to the device, from a PC or NAS

Its great for games too

If you have any questions just ask, as I've been using one for a while now

this is good, but i read somewhere you couldn't actually copy file formats to it to play from the hard drive - that surely can't be true can it? e.g. like above, if spooky wanted to use it as a dvd player away from home/network/wifi etc?

this is good, but i read somewhere you couldn't actually copy file formats to it to play from the hard drive - that surely can't be true can it? e.g. like above, if spooky wanted to use it as a dvd player away from home/network/wifi etc?

You can copy files and play from the hard drive, but you only have 8GB or 16GB storage.

MX player Pro from the Google Play store is great and plays most file types.

Yeah, looks like it literally browses and that's about it. No graphics acceleration, video or even sound yet!

I installed a nightly for the first time this morning. Got to say, I'm not really that impressed. Still can't handle HD films that I have installed, still no camera. Only real difference seems to be wifi not dropping out anymore.

Really? Works a treat for hd video for me. Camera is going to be a problem for a while but yeah, the fix for wifi was much needed! Don't know about you but that only started to be a problem for me recently.

I also use MX Player

There are several FREE players that will play any file format

Away from home I use Skifta (FREE) to play from any DLNA source (NAS or Laptop) via WiFi

If you want "offline" access then either use the hard disk, or get a mobile wireless storage device (I believe Seagate do a 500GB one with a 5 hour battery)

Lots of options with Android

Really? Works a treat for hd video for me. Camera is going to be a problem for a while but yeah, the fix for wifi was much needed! Don't know about you but that only started to be a problem for me recently.
I think it pretty much has always been there on CM9. Certainly, if you left it on the Touchstone for a couple days it would see the network but not receive data so wifi needed to be restarted. Doesn't seem to show much signal strength still but it hasn't dropped out today yet.

True but for me a 7inch tablet wouldnt be big enough. I've got a kindle which is 6 inch and I'd hate to watch movies or browse webpages on a screen of that size.

Depends what you need it for I guess but I love the idea of a tablet that I can plug into my screen and have full laptop functionality with.

Prices havent been announced yet but RT version will probably be 3-400 and the pro will be 7-850 I imagine. RT is a bit limited though like a halfway house to a full desktop OS.

7 inches is more than enough for movies and web page browsing

You should pick one up and try it. Apps like Facebook, Chrome, Twitter look HUGE on a 7" device!

Games look awesome too

[video=youtube;d0X0fJPgEm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0X0fJPgEm4[/video]

Agree that you want 10" minimum for creating content with keyboard

But for consumption, 7" is easily enough. Check out the video!

Last edited:
True but for me a 7inch tablet wouldnt be big enough. I've got a kindle which is 6 inch and I'd hate to watch movies or browse webpages on a screen of that size.

Here are screenshots from the Nexus 7 of typical websites. Perfect for browsing

10ynz7q.jpg

219yst2.jpg

33u8idv.jpg

Guess it doesnt look too bad and is so cheap that even if I didn't like it then it wouldnt matter much.

Trouble is I cant decide whether I want to maintain a tablet and laptop or have something that can do both.

Guess it doesnt look too bad and is so cheap that even if I didn't like it then it wouldnt matter much.

Trouble is I cant decide whether I want to maintain a tablet and laptop or have something that can do both.

I would go for both

7" for true mobile gaming, browsing (which fits in a jacket pocket)

10"+ with keyboard for Laptop replacement

I'm planning on getting a Surface Pro later this year (via work)

You don't need to maintain a tablet mate, they pretty much look after themselves other than your storage volumes.

I mean in the sense do I want to a tablet and a laptop. 2 exenses and then in time most likely 2 upgrades.

Then I need to decide the OS, I love my windows phone so maybe a windows tablet is better, same apps and continuity etc

I like the idea of a good laptop and the smaller tablet. Going for a single solution means going top of the line on the tablet and might be almost as expensive. And even then there will be compromise.

What to get now might depends on what you have now. If you have an acceptable laptop now, getting a smaller tablet might make more sense. Then replace the laptop next year. If you need a new laptop it might make more sense to replace that now. The way prices are going you could get a tablet for a fantastic price by the end of the year. I'm happy with my laptop now so will be looking at the Nexus device.

I mean in the sense do I want to a tablet and a laptop. 2 exenses and then in time most likely 2 upgrades.

Then I need to decide the OS, I love my windows phone so maybe a windows tablet is better, same apps and continuity etc

I see. Well in that case I would say don't try and second guess what personal computing will look like in 4/5 years time, it's going to move very quickly over the next few years. I'd say buy what feels right for you at the moment, not speculatively.

It depends what you do with your laptop I guess. Personally, most laptops are underpowered for what I use mine for, let alone a tablet. So I'll need both for quite a while yet.

The new iPad is very nice. Web browsing is fine as is watching movies and playing games, doing on it is very very good and the other apps I've picked p either or free or at minimal charge have been very handy. (the Djay app cost £15.99)

Well I need to be able to run in design, lightroom and football manager on whatever I own and I'm guessing they will only run on full windows and possibly a MAC but I dont want a MAC.

See I don't get the iPad, my gf has one and it has a lovely screen I must admin but other than sending a few emails, viewing pics/videos and browsing the net there isn't much else you can do on them and £400 seems an excessive price to pay for that. The Nexus is less than half the price although it does have a slightly smaller screen.

Back