• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

Markysimmo -

My nexus wouldn't turn back on after I drained my battery one time. It only came on after holding the power button 20-30 seconds. This might work in future instances of it acting up.

You can make flash work by downloading a flash apk file and installing firefox beta. I can watch flash streams inside firefox.

There is also a sopcast app you can install, which in many ways is better than the flash streams.

You can also install an espn goals app, though not from google play, you have to download an apk.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Markysimmo -

My nexus wouldn't turn back on after I drained my battery one time. It only came on after holding the power button 20-30 seconds. This might work in future instances of it acting up.

Does seem to vary switching it on between 5 secs and 20, its been fully charged up just the once

Markysimmo -

You can make flash work by downloading a flash apk file and installing firefox beta. I can watch flash streams inside firefox.

There is also a sopcast app you can install, which in many ways is better than the flash streams.

You can also install an espn goals app, though not from google play, you have to download an apk.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Wouldnt mind an idiots guide to this apk stuff if possible please

Most of the apps you download you will get from Google Play. If you want to install apps from other sources you will need to download an apk (think of it as an installer)

An .apk file is basically an app. There are several ways to install one but I generally e-mail it to my gmail account. When I tap on the apk attachment android should ask me what I want to do with it and I should be able to select install.

An example of this is the pokerstars app. You can't download it from google play but you can get it directly from the pokerstars website ( http://www.pokerstars.co.uk/mobile/ ) clicking on the android download link will download a PokerStarsInstall.apk ( http://updatead.pokerstars.com/PokerStarsInstall.apk)

Google play won't allow us to download Flash as it's not supported on Jellybean. This doesn't mean it doesn't work, this just means that it's not supported. The nice people at XDA developers have all the instructions to install it on jellybean here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

Surface RT prices announced - I can't see how it will compete with the nexus 7, fire hd and iPad at those prices. The Surface Pro might thanks to the benefit of full windows but Microsoft seem to have forgotten they're releasing an immature os with no app support in a competitive market. It'll sell as well as the original Samsung tab and Motorola xoom imo.

They should have learnt a lesson from amazon like Google eventually did and hit the low end of the market to build up consumer and developer support before trying to compete with apple.

MS will have thousands of developers building stuff, I'm sure there will be a spew of apps released soon enough.

Don't forget it comes with 32GB, MS office, an HDMI and USB port so you can actually do something with it.

I dont know about the others you mention but the iPad doesnt even have a USB port.

MS will have thousands of developers building stuff, I'm sure there will be a spew of apps released soon enough.

Don't forget it comes with 32GB, MS office, an HDMI and USB port so you can actually do something with it.

I dont know about the others you mention but the iPad doesnt even have a USB port.

I don't have any of these products and have no plans to for a while ...

However, the MS route seems promising. Real computing ...

That said, I will wait one or two versions before buying the MS product (Windows 1, 2, 3.0, 95, Vista ...Windows 8?)

yeah going by this will start at £750 and probably be £900 for 128gig. To br fair they are pretty high spec and basically give you a full powered ultrabook with all the connectivity inside a tablet. Thats what I think the future will be or what I will be looking for eventually, small tablet that does everything that I can plug in.

I think there will be huge scope for big discounts and deals though e.g. free touch cover key board chucked in or discounts if you take a windows phone 8 phone.

does microsoft have an app store? I assumed their biggest draw would be that their tablets would be able to run any programs a desktop can?

RT seems just like IOS really i.e. just stuff from App Store while Pro is full windows and has app store plus whatever you want to install.

Does anybody know a good free file converter so I can convert mk4 to mp4 for use on my Nexus?

I tried a couple but they even though they say free they are actually trial ones or only do the first few mins etc!

Back