• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

Considering most of Apple's operating systems consume a fraction of resources compared to some of its 'competitors' I'd say direct hardware comparison on these products is completely off-the mark /

Aren't we comparing two Apple products using the same OS? A new one with double the CPU speed of the old one. So the resource use by competitors would be irrelevant, no?.

Hugely.....how do you think the screen works without it?

Apple don't use graphics chips. Wow, I thought they were cutting edge.

And if the interactive elements were so hopeless without the new CPU speed, I'm sure someone would have noticed in previous versions. They can't have all been impressed by rounded corners at the expense of functionality.

Apple's iPad Mini has now been thrown in to consideration for the tablet I'm buying for Christmas, but I see very few things better about the iPad than the Nexus 7.

Just read back through the thread with interest, am thinking about getting one of the 7 inch tabs and am undecided between the nexus 7 or the kindle fire hd.

There's lots of positive support for the nexus by the looks of it, has anyone got or had any experience of the kindle fire hd?

You make my point about this tablet craze somewhat for me.. thanks

Your all fricken mugs.

I bet most people have laptops/Desktops... Iphones/Smart phones too.

Its like getting a new kettle for the TV room, you have one in the kitchen but I have mug on my forehead cos this new kettle can boil in 3 seconds, no really it can :p .

Haha quality and so true.

Another Apple product and out come the fanboys!

Work colleague and a few others were eating out last night. He mentioned he couldn't wait to get home because he had yet to watch the Apple launch stream.

I said to him so what have they released? His reply was loads of updates and upgrades to current existing product lines and an expected mention of a mini ipad.

I said to him great, but you already have the IPhone, Ipad 2, Ipod and Macbook Air. What exactly is this new product going to provide to you and why do you need one? Then he goes to mention it will be 'packed with features' and will be 'faster'.

Sums up my view on these macarons. Most apple products are not about the product themselves but more so a self loathing image to be seen with one.

Arc you mention efficiency but how about cost? ability to customize (SD capability)? Power? Even with the poor efficiency argument considered the nexus only offers around an hour less battery life yet better screen resolution than the mini.

Nexus offers far far more for the price.

The iPad purchased 6 months ago, has half the CPU power and half the graphic power

This 4th gen iPad is the same price too

After 6 months (or less) of ownership, that is a massive kick in the balls!

But the ipad out 6 months ago doesnt stop working when the new one gets released does it ? That is the only way it would be a kick in the balls.

I wouldn't care if they updated it each month. You want the latest at the time you are buying and expect there to be something better around the corner. When you go to purchase an ipad i'd much prefer to buy one which has been updated within the last few months rather than almost a year ago.

Why should people who want to buy an ipad today go without an updated version?

With computing, it has never been different. Whenever you buy, a better deal will be out the next week (maybe not from the same company, but...).

And this update compared to the previous version, who is ever going to notice... its quick or quicker.

Another Apple product and out come the fanboys!

Work colleague and a few others were eating out last night. He mentioned he couldn't wait to get home because he had yet to watch the Apple launch stream.

I said to him so what have they released? His reply was loads of updates and upgrades to current existing product lines and an expected mention of a mini ipad.

I said to him great, but you already have the IPhone, Ipad 2, Ipod and Macbook Air. What exactly is this new product going to provide to you and why do you need one? Then he goes to mention it will be 'packed with features' and will be 'faster'.

Sums up my view on these macarons. Most apple products are not about the product themselves but more so a self loathing image to be seen with one.

Arc you mention efficiency but how about cost? ability to customize (SD capability)? Power? Even with the poor efficiency argument considered the nexus only offers around an hour less battery life yet better screen resolution than the mini.

Nexus offers far far more for the price.

More than likely a made up story. I seriously doubt your mate managed to cover all of the things that people claim apple fan boys do or say. The reality is very few people actually do that. And if your mate really is like that, so what ? some like to keep up to date with the latest technology... it makes far more sense to stick with apple if he already has those other products as they are compatible with each other. Apple are normally pretty reliable with their products being good, so that is why people tend to stick with them. Same with TVs, same with cars etc.

[video=youtube_share;Siw_HIhZGbs]http://youtu.be/Siw_HIhZGbs[/video]

Apple fanboy testing his new kettle via Iphone video!!

He swears blind to anyone that will listen it only takes 3 seconds to boil and is the best on the market

Nexus 10 looks quality (as does the 4 aside from the small memory options and non removable battery) but I finally bought myself a Nexus 7 now the price has dropped a bit. Seems like the perfect commute tablet certainly far more suited for taking out and about than the touchpad.

Nexus 10 looks quality (as does the 4 aside from the small memory options and non removable battery) but I finally bought myself a Nexus 7 now the price has dropped a bit. Seems like the perfect commute tablet certainly far more suited for taking out and about than the touchpad.

Yes, some interesting announcements today (minus the flimflam event)

Nexus 10 pricing is excellent

Nexus 7 update is very good

And latest jelly bean introduces multiple profiles for a single device. Very impressive indeed. Means you can have a coffee table tablet for the family

And they have also released a wireless HDMI dongle for pushing content to your TV

Nexus 4 announced too. No LTE but again, excellent pricing

Insane pricing really - £280 for a brand new unlocked flagship phone with a feature sheet to match anything else. The galaxy s2 is still £300 new and a 16gb iPhone 5 is over double that. Madness.

No removable battery and no 32gb option or sd card means I'll have to look elsewhere though.

Decided I'm buying a Surface RT as long as my bonus is what I'm expecting.

I would like to be able to install full desktop apps but I have a regular laptop for that, this has MS office etc and that will do for now. By the time both are outdone I'll get a full powerhouse tablet. Getting some good reviews from what I've seen and I like Windows 8 so far.

Decided I'm buying a Surface RT as long as my bonus is what I'm expecting.

I would like to be able to install full desktop apps but I have a regular laptop for that, this has MS office etc and that will do for now. By the time both are outdone I'll get a full powerhouse tablet. Getting some good reviews from what I've seen and I like Windows 8 so far.

A few colleagues at work are using the Surface now

I have to say (and bear in mind I'm a Google disciple), the machine is VERY impressive

A true productivity device for sure. The keyboard is outstanding.

Our entire sales team will be switching to Surface soon

What are everyones views of the google laptop? the chrome one or whatever it is

I've heard they are quite decent but its basically a web browser (or was) so if you don't have the net where you are then you're pretty much fudged as everything is cloud based.

Back