• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

But that's only because they are a smaller size that they are cheap. Full sized i.e. 10 inch Android tablets aren't exactly bargains.

I would say its a little unfair to compare an app list against a system that hasn't even been released yet, I am sure developers will release plenty when its out.

I know its all personal opinion but I can't really get my head round why someone would want a seperate PC and tablet, I would much rather a tablet that can run all the stuff I want that I can then pluf into a screen if I need to view anything in big form.

Seems that paying £200 just to browse the internet is a lot of money, if I want to watch a film I turn on my TV.

Yes they are:
http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/

This is arguably a better design than the iPad (detachable keyboard) and is £200 cheaper

And as for why you'd want more than 1 device. Because you have a job?

I want an Android tablet for home/holiday. And a Windows surface for work.

I ain't no expert or anything but does this android tablet above say you can stream wirelessly to other devices such as PCs and TVs? Eg, could you download a film on the tablet and stream it straight onto TV?

I ain't no expert or anything but does this android tablet above say you can stream wirelessly to other devices such as PCs and TVs? Eg, could you download a film on the tablet and stream it straight onto TV?

With Apple TV and an iPhone/iPad you can

If you get a tablet with a HDMI out you can just plug it into your telly to play media on your telly. This means you won't really be able to use your tablet at the same time as watching a film though.

What I do is use a laptop plugged into my TV to stream movies from my computer upstairs to my telly downstairs.

In this case my tablet becomes a stupidly fancy remote control.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, with an IOS device you wouldn't be able to watch your existing media library? You will be limited to only watching things you've bought from itunes?

Using VLC on my tablet I can play pretty much anything, including things I have download from 'alternative sources' It's also just a case of dragging and dropping the files onto my device.

doesn't have to be bought from itunes, does need to be in a compatible codec for the apple tv though, basically if you can play it in itunes you can stream it over airplay

doesn't have to be bought from itunes, does need to be in a compatible codec for the apple tv though, basically if you can play it in itunes you can stream it over airplay

Can you play file types popular on certain file sharing websites? I think .mkv is a biggy.

Yes, there's a free android app called Serviio

I stream via my PS3 to the TV

And via my laptio to the Nexus

Yes they are:
http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/

This is arguably a better design than the iPad (detachable keyboard) and is £200 cheaper

And as for why you'd want more than 1 device. Because you have a job?

I want an Android tablet for home/holiday. And a Windows surface for work.

Yes I have a job but I have a work laptop for work.

For pleasure I cant be arsed to have 2 devices but a tablet I can plug in when I need to do some work would be perfect. Thing with Android is if I actually need to do some work then I cant e.g. I cant install MS Office, Adobe in design etc on it so its not really suitable for requirements. I imagine others are in same boat as well so I'd need 2 systems etc.

As I say each to their own, just laying out my position.

I know you arent stupid but I wonder how many people see a cheap nexus tablet and then just buy it without thinking things through properly of whether it will actually meet their requirements etc

Yes I have a job but I have a work laptop for work.

For pleasure I cant be arsed to have 2 devices but a tablet I can plug in when I need to do some work would be perfect. Thing with Android is if I actually need to do some work then I cant e.g. I cant install MS Office, Adobe in design etc on it so its not really suitable for requirements. I imagine others are in same boat as well so I'd need 2 systems etc.

As I say each to their own, just laying out my position.

I know you arent stupid but I wonder how many people see a cheap nexus tablet and then just buy it without thinking things through properly of whether it will actually meet their requirements etc

You can. There are loads of Office apps for Android. And Microsoft are releasing their own version for Android next month.

And I really don't believe that any tablet (Windows, Apple or Android) is an appropriate device for desktop publishing.

The Nexus is simply the best consumption tablet on the market, when you consider the cost and features

It runs the world's most popular mobile O/S, it has a quad-core processor for games and high-def video, and is portable enough to hold in one hand or put in your pocket

I will be getting a Microsoft tablet later this year (paid for by Microsoft) which will replace my laptop

I have been running Windows 8 on my laptop for the last 6 months.

There is absolutely no way I'd spend my own money on a Windows mobile device. The Nexus is more appropriate for more people, as a personal tablet.

You do realise how much the Windows surface devices are going to cost right? :eek:

I cant install MS Office

I don't even have MS Office on my PC. I use Open Office on my windows computer as it was free and does everything MS Office does.

You can also create and edit files in Google Docs, no? There are alternatives to MS Office out there for android.

Windows Phone is great if you ask me, I personally detest using apps which is the reason I like it. The stuff I use is baked in e.g. all the social networks so you dont need to open an app. Live tiles so I know if the jubilee line is down etc. I personally want to spend as little time messing around with my tech as possible, I have better things to do so what I want is a system that gets me the info I need pronto, not messing around with endless settings.

No I have no idea how much a MS Surface will cost, whats the UK retail price then? Its not as though a MS Surface will be the only thing going either. I also quite like the look of those Samsung all in one screens, bit like an iMac but touch screen and doesnt cost the earth.

There is no MS Office app for Android yet and even if one comes it will only be a cut down version lacking half the stuff thats needed.

As I say each to their own I'm just putting my viewpoint forward which is of course the whole idea of a debate.

I mean the price in pounds. It's not going to be a straight conversion and what about the RT version?

And which model is going to be $800

I mean the price in pounds. It's not going to be a straight conversion and what about the RT version?

And which model is going to be $800

RT cannot run traditional apps (i.e. your existing software that runs on Windows 7). So isn't a laptop replacement

Pro can run tablet style apps, but also has the traditional desktop (i.e. laptop replacement)

So if you want a full laptop experience, you must go Pro. The UK pricing is not released until October 26th

I know the difference between pro and RT. I meant 64 or 128gb?

I thought you were in the know about Microsoft so why cant you confirm the pricing? $800 just sounds like a rough guess to me.

Last edited:
Back