• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

fudge me, we are scraping the bottom, Lambert & Zamora ...

- Lambert might have been worth a punt last season, now he's a year older and his confidence is completely shot (just what we need, another striker who needs his mommy)
- Zamora? he wasn't good enough in his prime, 34 with 12 goals in last 3 years?

Remember this is for the 3rd choice role. I suggested Lambert simply because:
1. He would be cheap
2. Wages should be managable for us
3. He has worked with Pochettino before so should be able to fit in with the style of play without requiring lots of games to get used to the system.
4. He would probably be prepared to come to Spurs and not expect to be starting every game.

Zamora I wouldn't want however as he doesn't fit in with the 3rd point above.

Id take Lambert as 3rd choice

Effectively we'd be swapping Adebayor for Lambert.... For no outlay (and I would imagine a significant save on wages) we'd get a guy who was mentally stable, one that we know can play in a Pochettino team and, best of all, one who I'm sure would be happy to travel and play in Europa League games. We would also be swapping one of our permitted foreign players for and English player.

I wanted Lambert last summer, still think he would be a decent option this season. Zamora would be a "hell no" for me as he's incapable of delivering even a half-acceptable goal scoring record. I would rather see Crouch come back...

I still think a target man option makes sense. Lambert would add that and be PL proven and proven under Pochettino. If we're looking to bring in two strikers I think it makes sense to have one of them be a bit cheaper and also bring in one more experienced player like Lambert.

Effectively we'd be swapping Adebayor for Lambert.... For no outlay (and I would imagine a significant save on wages) we'd get a guy who was mentally stable, one that we know can play in a Pochettino team and, best of all, one who I'm sure would be happy to travel and play in Europa League games. We would also be swapping one of our permitted foreign players for and English player.

the only draw back would be whether he's tailed off too much this past year - haven't seen him enough to say, but if he's at the level he was at Southampton and is available then id say it's a no brainer, personally

Not sure he would want to swap one bench for another though.. Most likely he'd go to one of the promoted sides where he can enjoy his football and be a regular again

I don't understand the people who are happy to go into the season with just two strikers. It's awful management to base our club's entire season on Kane remaining fit and on form. Because the suggestion that any one striker - whether it's Ings or Benteke - would allow us to successfully challenge in at least three competitions (which is a bare minimum in my eyes) is just delusional. And it's too important a position to be relying on midfielders "filling in".

With the expectation that we actually intend to challenge in all four competitions, and playing the kind of system we are currently, we need two "first choice" strikers, at least one of whom is capable of playing in the hole, so they can play together if the situation calls for it. You also need either a younger striker, or a quality veteran willing to spend time on the bench (as cover).

Anything else... the "oh don't worry, Chadli can fill in" argument, or the "it's literally impossible that Kane won't be fit and scoring 30 goals next season" fantasy... they all take stupidly unnecessary risks with our season. Risks that can be pretty easily avoided. And they also miss a pretty important point... Pochettino clearly agrees with the three striker strategy. We started this season with three of them... two first choice strikers (Adebayor and Soldado) to challenge for the starting spot, and a youngster who would hopefully allow for some rotation (Kane). The fact that both Soldado and Ade failed to turn up wasn't exactly part of the manager's plan. He didn't intend to rely on a 22 year old unproven striker for damn near every goal. The fact that Kane was good enough to step up saved our year. But it was hardly guaranteed.

I see no reason why Pochettino is going to change his previous philosophy just because we got lucky last year. I'm pretty sure he will buy a genuine competitor for Kane's position, and we will also have a third striker, whether it's a promotion from the Academy or a youngster / veteran we bring in. We started last year with 3 strikers. I'll take an even-money bet with anyone that we start with at least three next season (one of whom - like Kane last August - probably won't be expected to get much playing time in the premier league).

It's unlikely to be Benteke - because he'll cost too much and there will be other teams in for him that can offer better wages (IMO). And it's unlikely to be Ings because he seems pretty set on going to Liverpool for some reason (wouldn't be my choice of destination if I were a football player right now; I think they could be in for a tough couple of seasons with Gerrard leaving - he was a shadow of his former self on the field this year, but I suspect he still played a major role in holding a fairly fractious squad together... it could all unravel at Liverpool next season unless they bring in a top quality manager).

If I had to guess, I think we might bring in Lambert as the third choice striker. If he's willing to do the travelling to Georgia and Warsaw, play in the league cup and get some premier league time as a substitute when we're already two up... then I can see it happening. As for the guy who will be challenging Kane? No idea. Probably someone we've not even be linked with yet.

I don't understand the people who are happy to go into the season with just two strikers. It's awful management to base our club's entire season on Kane remaining fit and on form. Because the suggestion that any one striker - whether it's Ings or Benteke - would allow us to successfully challenge in at least three competitions (which is a bare minimum in my eyes) is just delusional. And it's too important a position to be relying on midfielders "filling in".

With the expectation that we actually intend to challenge in all four competitions, and playing the kind of system we are currently, we need two "first choice" strikers, at least one of whom is capable of playing in the hole, so they can play together if the situation calls for it. You also need either a younger striker, or a quality veteran willing to spend time on the bench (as cover).

Anything else... the "oh don't worry, Chadli can fill in" argument, or the "it's literally impossible that Kane won't be fit and scoring 30 goals next season" fantasy... they all take stupidly unnecessary risks with our season. Risks that can be pretty easily avoided. And they also miss a pretty important point... Pochettino clearly agrees with the three striker strategy. We started this season with three of them... two first choice strikers (Adebayor and Soldado) to challenge for the starting spot, and a youngster who would hopefully allow for some rotation (Kane). The fact that both Soldado and Ade failed to turn up wasn't exactly part of the manager's plan. He didn't intend to rely on a 22 year old unproven striker for damn near every goal. The fact that Kane was good enough to step up saved our year. But it was hardly guaranteed.

I see no reason why Pochettino is going to change his previous philosophy just because we got lucky last year. I'm pretty sure he will buy a genuine competitor for Kane's position, and we will also have a third striker, whether it's a promotion from the Academy or a youngster / veteran we bring in. We started last year with 3 strikers. I'll take an even-money bet with anyone that we start with at least three next season (one of whom - like Kane last August - probably won't be expected to get much playing time in the premier league).

It's unlikely to be Benteke - because he'll cost too much and there will be other teams in for him that can offer better wages (IMO). And it's unlikely to be Ings because he seems pretty set on going to Liverpool for some reason (wouldn't be my choice of destination if I were a football player right now; I think they could be in for a tough couple of seasons with Gerrard leaving - he was a shadow of his former self on the field this year, but I suspect he still played a major role in holding a fairly fractious squad together... it could all unravel at Liverpool next season unless they bring in a top quality manager).

If I had to guess, I think we might bring in Lambert as the third choice striker. If he's willing to do the travelling to Georgia and Warsaw, play in the league cup and get some premier league time as a substitute when we're already two up... then I can see it happening. As for the guy who will be challenging Kane? No idea. Probably someone we've not even be linked with yet.

Agreed. Although that "third choice" (rather third option?) striker could also be someone capable of playing in the attacking 3 in our 4-2-3-1 to give us even more versatility and options... Not necessarily an outright striker.

3 strikers seems just about right though.

you had me at swapping Ade

My thoughts as well, Kane has done great this season but it would be madness to accept that he will do the same next season.

Kane could also learn A LOT from Berbs.

like what, i think Kane has already shown the ability to drop off, find space, play through balls. Kane's finishing has been excellent, left and right foot and with the head.

Kane works hard, wants to improve further, is a team player. I loved Berbs but i dont see what Kane has to learn from him. Yes if Benteke was our striker then bringing in Berbs and allowing him to teach Benteke some things would be helpful. but not for Kane, imo

like what, i think Kane has already shown the ability to drop off, find space, play through balls. Kane's finishing has been excellent, left and right foot and with the head.

Kane works hard, wants to improve further, is a team player. I loved Berbs but i dont see what Kane has to learn from him. Yes if Benteke was our striker then bringing in Berbs and allowing him to teach Benteke some things would be helpful. but not for Kane, imo

Little pieces of movement and psychology to get the better of defenders at the highest level.
Tips to take his skill set up a level or two.
Ways to hold the ball up and bring team mates into play, especially under pressure.

Kane is by no means the finished article.

Little pieces of movement and psychology to get the better of defenders at the highest level.
Tips to take his skill set up a level or two.
Ways to hold the ball up and bring team mates into play, especially under pressure.

Kane is by no means the finished article.

maybe Berbs can teach Kane how to throw an effective strop to force a move to Man Utd :)

I know Kane is not the finished article, but he is always willing to improve and work hard to get better and im sure he would listen to any advice from wherever it comes. Do we knopw if Berbs is the type to spend time and go out of his way to help improve his younger teammates? Maybe he prefers to do as little training as possible and once a session is over is first to whizz out of the training ground and get home to play with his squirrels.

Back