• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

LOAN WATCH

Posted 03 December 2012 4:01pm

Adam Smith came close to a late winner for Millwall in Saturday's goalless draw against Charlton.

The full-back played 90 minutes as the two in-form teams in the Championship met in a South London derby at the New Den on Saturday.

Millwall had the better of it and Adam drilled just wide from 25 yards in the last action of note in the game.

Danny Rose played 90 minutes as Sunderland suffered a 2-1 defeat at Norwich City in the Premier League.

Jordan Archer made a crucial save to deny Bristol Rovers' Michael Smith with the score at 1-0 as Wycombe continued their fine form in League Two with a 2-0 at Adams Park.

In the FA Cup, Nathan Byrne was an unused substitute as Crawley Town toppled Chelmsford 3-0 to book a home tie against Premier League side Reading in the third round.

Young goalkeeper Jonathan Miles made a promising debut for Brentwood against Needham Market in Ryman League Division One North last weekend, including a fine save in the second half in a 1-1 draw.

Away from the UK, Bongani Khumalo played 90 minutes as PAOK drew 0-0 at Veria in the Greek Super League. That meant PAOK remain second but are now 10 points adrift of Olympiacos.
According to Hawksbee-and-Jacobs Rose played something of a blinder at the w/end.

U21 Result: Southampton 1-1 Manchester United.

This gives Spurs a great chance of finishing Group 2 Champions and all but guarantees we'll be in the Elite Group in 2013.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/U-21_Premier_League_2012-13.html

Had the rules being changed? I always thought three teams from Groups 1 and 2 is because on average the teams are better...

"The top three sides in Groups 1 and 2 and the top two sides in Group 3 will go forward to the Elite Group Stage."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Professional_Development_League_1

Had the rules being changed? I always thought three teams from Groups 1 and 2 is because on average the teams are better...

"The top three sides in Groups 1 and 2 and the top two sides in Group 3 will go forward to the Elite Group Stage."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Professional_Development_League_1

Yes, they changed when Watford dropped-out of Group Two.

Group One has three qualifiers for the Elite Stage, as they have eight clubs competing.

Groups Two and Three have two qualifiers for the Elite Stage, plus the best third-placed team, as they have seven clubs competing.

Thanks for the update...it seems quite funny, how a team that finished 3rd in Group 2 (incl. the top rated academy in Villa and strong academies like Manure and Soton) comparable to 3rd from Group 3? Even most of the Group 1 teams on paper is not as strong as 2's.

btw, are our academy Category 1, thought it was mentioned earlier that since we don't have required minimum number of coaching staff, ours became Category 2 until the next grading?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update...it seems quite funny, how a team that finished 3rd in Group 2 (incl. the top rated academy in Villa and strong academies like Manure and Soton) comparable to 3rd from Group 3? Even most of the Group 1 teams on paper is not as strong as 2's.

btw, are our academy Category 1, thought it was mentioned earlier that since we don't have required minimum number of coaching staff, ours became Category 2 until the next grading?

As far as I'm aware, Spurs are among a number of clubs that haven't been assessed yet.

Pretty sure that we will comfortable qualify for a grade 1 rating, given the success of our various youth teams over the past few seasons; given the top quality facilities at Hotspur Way; given the large number of our youth players who have broken into or are on the fringes of our first team; and given the number of our youth players who are performing impressively on loan.

Pretty sure that if number of coaches had been an issue, it will have been addressed long before the academy is due to be assessed.

As far as I'm aware, Spurs are among a number of clubs that haven't been assessed yet.

Pretty sure that we will comfortable qualify for a grade 1 rating, given the success of our various youth teams over the past few seasons; given the top quality facilities at Hotspur Way; given the large number of our youth players who have broken into or are on the fringes of our first team; and given the number of our youth players who are performing impressively on loan.

Pretty sure that if number of coaches had been an issue, it will have been addressed long before the academy is due to be assessed.

I read it on Cartilagefreecaptain...to clarify my previous understanding, it said the problem is that we don't have residence facility for youth players.
http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com...performance-plane-means-for-tottenham-hotspur
http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2012/7/20/3171583/tottenham-hotspur-training-facility

Btw, our recent results in FA Youth Cup and Academy League etc weren't that impressive, the last FA Youth Cup final appearance was almost 20 years ago...unless we are satisfied with Last 16 or QF stage.

I read it on Cartilagefreecaptain...to clarify my previous understanding, it said the problem is that we don't have residence facility for youth players.
http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com...performance-plane-means-for-tottenham-hotspur
http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2012/7/20/3171583/tottenham-hotspur-training-facility

Btw, our recent results in FA Youth Cup and Academy League etc weren't that impressive, the last FA Youth Cup final appearance was almost 20 years ago...unless we are satisfied with Last 16 or QF stage.

We've been consistently pretty good in the Academy League - until the last couple of seasons, when we've played a much younger side as a consequence of our successful involvement in the NextGen Series (in which our team has performed far better than any other English club).

And I'm not sure that residential facilities is the problem that it's made out to be.

I very much doubt that the likes of Stoke or Fulham (both of whom have been awarded category 1 status) have much by way of residential facilities. I'm not aware of Arsenal or Liverpool having any either. Or West Ham, for that matter.

My guess is that the requirement for residential facilities (obviously for those young players who live further than 90 minutes away) doesn't have to be satisfied by living quarters at the training ground. So it shouldn't be a problem for Spurs. If it had been, I am quite certain that Spurs would have included everything that was required when building Hotspur Way. After all, why spend the best part of £50 million on some of the finest academy facilities in the land if the whole thing was always going to be let down by omitting to include the compulsory requirement for accommodation? Doesn't make sense.

West Ham United, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion, Liverpool & Wolverhampton Wanderers have all progressed to the U21 Premier League Elite Group in 2013.

There are three more places up for grabs - the first two places in Tottenham's Group 2 and the best third-placed team from Groups 2 or 3.

Under-21 Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13

We are guaranteed at least 3rd place in our group with 20 pts. Chel$ki is third in Group 3 with 18 points. Why we have not qualified yet?

We are guaranteed at least 3rd place in our group with 20 pts. Chel$ki is third in Group 3 with 18 points. Why we have not qualified yet?

I think we've secured qualification already - it's just a matter of whether we do so as Group Winners or not.

This. United can only match 20pts, even if we lose our last 2 games. Barring a 17goal swing we've qualified

Even if there were a GD swing of -17, as Mr Green noted above, the worst case scenario is that we are the best 3rd place team from Groups 2 & 3, so we must surely have qualified already.

Great to hear Rose getting such good reviews. Though he looked very good when he was first used at left back, but then looked shaky last season when he was given a chance after his injury problems. Only natural that it will take him some time to adjust to that position having been a winger for most of his youth career from what I know. Going forward from left back he does look very good, more concerned about his defending, but hopefully he will keep improving this season.

GHod forbid we need anybody but are there any of our youngsters capable of playing central defence? We have Naughton and Smith ready at full back.

GHod forbid we need anybody but are there any of our youngsters capable of playing central defence? We have Naughton and Smith ready at full back.

We have Grand Hall who we signed this summer, otherwise I don't think there are many that are ready. I have no idea how good he is. I don't think he's out on loan, but he hasn't been on the bench at all this season from what I can remember.

I think it would be more likely that we use Hudd or Sandro as central defenders if we get another injury (or two).

Tonight's 19 NextGen Series Group 6 match - Arsenal v Athletic Club Bilbao.

Arsenal are currently in last place but a win tonight would put them on 8 points and ahead of current leaders Marseilles.

Bilbao would go 2 points clear in Group 6 win a win tonight.

Back