• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ten reason why we won't make 4th place

Two things;

1) The number of people that would have to keep quiet about a supposed 'fake' bid is quite a few, yet no one on the Porto side came out after deadline day and rubbished the 'technical difficulties' that AVB admitted were all that stopped the transfer. Surely Porto have an interest in appearing reluctant to part with Moutinho at any price?

2)Assuming Levy's 'fake bid' policy turns out to be true, surely he can't expect it to work every time? The 'novelty value' of hearing about big bids on deadline day is rapidly decreasing. I'm already jaded about the possibilities whenever Sky announce 'Tottenham in last-ditch bid for x player', so this deception policy is clearing rapidly losing its effect.

So I'm inclined to think his bids for these players are true (Moutinho and Leandro, I mean; that palaver with Aguero and Falcao back in 2011 is truly suspicious), but that Levy just cannot bring himself to take the miniscule leap of faith to bring these transfers to a succesful conclusion. So he either negotiates all window and leaves himself with no time to actually complete a deal, or he makes a bid on deadline day hoping to panic a club into selling, which most clubs in the football world are probably aware of right now, lessening its impact value.

Either way the players and coaching staff will both have to hope that they can make the best out of what's left, despite our obvious, glaring weaknesses.

Last season, Modric, VdV, and an on-fire Ade were around to bail us out of situations.

This season, we aren't nearly as lucky, and AVB's managerial abilities will be strained to the utmost.

4th is still possible, but it will be a whole lot harder to get there, and if we falter at any point during this half of the season, the clubs behind us will pounce. We no longer have the 10-point cushion to fall back on, and considering how much that helped us last season (hint; not much), the fact we have to make do without it entirely, and without either a good striker or a DM at Sandro's level (unless Parker shakes off his malaise and returns to last year's form), is deeply, deeply worrying, and it is inevitable that the rest of the season will be tinged with dread rather than hope.

Once again, Joe, it didn't have to be this way.

Fixed

I doubt he knows we exist, beyond 'sports club stashed away in my portfolio somewhere'.

We've always been on our own under ENIC. That won't change, and it's why fans have been so understanding of Levy's prudence. But we've also seen countless players sold and revenue brought in over the last few windows, enough to afford at least one Damiao-calibre signing. We've made a profit in the last three windows, if I recall. Possibly even the last four. So it stands to reason that we have made enough money to spend on the likes of Damiao, and leads poor schmucks like me to predict that 'Levy will back the right man', or 'he'll give AVB a war-chest'. Predictions which then prove utterly inaccurate, because Levy seems inordinately reluctant to spend any cash at all.

So two possibilities emerge; we have either put the money into the stadium fund, or we refuse to back AVB. Both seem equally disheartening. If we're putting the money towards the stadium, it's certainly understandable, but goes against Levy's claims that the build would not impact the transfer budget in any way. And if we're refusing to back AVB, a man who fits perfectly into Levy's ethos, I doubt we'd back even Guardiola unless we made money from sales, and it disappoints people like me who expected Levy to give his man every tool to succeed.

So Levy needs to be honest, I feel; either come out and say that the money's gone into the stadium/training ground build, which will placate fans like me, or say that we absolutely will not spend more than is absolutely necessary for fourth place, which will at least give us some clarity. Until the time he decides to do so, however, a feeling of disappointment at his lack of spending (given our sales) is natural.

In short, Daniel, not Joe, is the arbiter of this club.

OP - if we had signed Damiao would those 10 reasons have become 9 or would you haves suddenly been thinking we're good for 4th?

I doubt he knows we exist, beyond 'sports club stashed away in my portfolio somewhere'.

We've always been on our own under ENIC. That won't change, and it's why fans have been so understanding of Levy's prudence. But we've also seen countless players sold and revenue brought in over the last few windows, enough to afford at least one Damiao-calibre signing. We've made a profit in the last three windows, if I recall. Possibly even the last four. So it stands to reason that we have made enough money to spend on the likes of Damiao, and leads poor schmucks like me to predict that 'Levy will back the right man', or 'he'll give AVB a war-chest'. Predictions which then prove utterly inaccurate, because Levy seems inordinately reluctant to spend any cash at all.

So two possibilities emerge; we have either put the money into the stadium fund, or we refuse to back AVB. Both seem equally disheartening. If we're putting the money towards the stadium, it's certainly understandable, but goes against Levy's claims that the build would not impact the transfer budget in any way. And if we're refusing to back AVB, a man who fits perfectly into Levy's ethos, I doubt we'd back even Guardiola unless we made money from sales, and it disappoints people like me who expected Levy to give his man every tool to succeed.

So Levy needs to be honest, I feel; either come out and say that the money's gone into the stadium/training ground build, which will placate fans like me, or say that we absolutely will not spend more than is absolutely necessary for fourth place, which will at least give us some clarity. Until the time he decides to do so, however, a feeling of disappointment at his lack of spending (given our sales) is natural.

In short, Daniel, not Joe, is the arbiter of this club.

We have absolutely no idea what the discussion between these men has been. I assume AVB wanted Moutinho. He seems to be alive without him. As for Damiao, frankly, had this been about a 29 year old David Villa, or a 20 mill Falcao/Cavani, I would understand the hand-wringing and sorrow. But it would be a massive gamble!

And I suspect Levy has bigger issues to worry about than whether he is popular or not.

I still cannot get over the fact that whatever 'this' is 'it's Levy's fault when Lewis is his paymaster, and furthermore, the alarm at seeing a '10 reasons why we won't qualify for the CL' is huge! I am genuinely shocked! It is Feb 1st and we are 4th. Is it tight? Yes. Are the filth, the chavs and the junior 'dippers having a wobble and moan? You betcha! I think people should save their moaning for May, by which time it might not be necessary!!!!!
(this last bit is a general comment and not just a direct reply to Dubai)

We have absolutely no idea what the discussion between these men has been. I assume AVB wanted Moutinho. He seems to be alive without him. As for Damiao, frankly, had this been about a 29 year old David Villa, or a 20 mill Falcao/Cavani, I would understand the hand-wringing and sorrow. But it would be a massive gamble!

And I suspect Levy has bigger issues to worry about than whether he is popular or not.

I still cannot get over the fact that whatever 'this' is 'it's Levy's fault when Lewis is his paymaster, and furthermore, the alarm at seeing a '10 reasons why we won't qualify for the CL' is huge! I am genuinely shocked! It is Feb 1st and we are 4th. Is it tight? Yes. Are the filth, the chavs and the junior 'dippers having a wobble and moan? You betcha! I think people should save their moaning for May, by which time it might not be necessary!!!!!

Levy absolutely shouldn't worry about his popularity. But the disappointment surrounding his lack of spending is entirely understandable, given the context I mentioned. Ergo, threads like '10 reasons why we wont qualify for the CL' shouldn't shock you, or even surprise you. People are disappointed because we appear to be reluctant to spend money that's clearly there. Until Levy clears up the situation for the fans, that disappointment will continue.

And as for Damiao, the 'hand-wringing and sorrow' has less to do with the player himself (who would have been a gamble, I entirely agree) than with the dismal situation our other two strikers find themselves in; Defoe, toothless and carrying an injury, and Ade just plain toothless.

Arse have got their attacking groove back, Walcott has hit a RVP style run of form where everything he hits seems to go in. They are once again a danger to us and have qualified for the CL every season Wenger has been there. Why wouldnt they do it again

Chelsea are the ones we have to look at imo. We can only hope they continue to implode

:lol: double that 20 and add 10

Damiao is the level we are at. Im not fully convinced by him either, imortantly AVB is though and unfortunately if we cannot afford him then i dont see many others out there available at that price and potential that we are able to go for.

Lewandowski for 20 mill in the summer? Only if Man utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea pass up on him, and we have CL plus 100k a week to offer

Schurrle?? even less convinced by him and he is in the 20 mill bracket

Dzeko for 20 mill?? would love to see the fans reaction to that

fast running out of names.........

oh grow up you lot, Damaio would not have got us 4th. We are still competing for 3rd, Ade will return finally match fit, on and upwards...

The midfield becomes the problem now since Sandro has been our best player this season

Upside would be if Adebayor returned on form - would be like a new signing given he's done nothing so far this season

Upside would be if Adebayor returned on form - would be like a new signing given he's done nothing so far this season

Ade has been pretty rubbish for almost a year. Long way to go before he turns it around

There was none. It was just a gimmick by Levy. Don't think we will ever spend more than 15/16m for any players as long as Levy is the chairman. Looking back, I think the "effort" to sign players like Arshavin, Moutinho and now Damiao is just an attempt to pacify fans. We would have signed them if we really wanted to instead of giving up due to a difference of a mere 4/5m.

If the players of such quality wants to join us, their clubs need to lower their price demand below 15m. That is Levy's formula to buy world class players.:rolleyes:
Were the likes of VdV, Dempsey and Dembele also last-minute gimmicks?

ZoomButt.gif

There was none. It was just a gimmick by Levy. Don't think we will ever spend more than 15/16m for any players as long as Levy is the chairman. Looking back, I think the "effort" to sign players like Arshavin, Moutinho and now Damiao is just an attempt to pacify fans. We would have signed them if we really wanted to instead of giving up due to a difference of a mere 4/5m.

If the players of such quality wants to join us, their clubs need to lower their price demand below 15m. That is Levy's formula to buy world class players.:rolleyes:

This argument keeps popping up, and has for some time.

Looking at how a lot of Spurs fans are reacting to these reported late attempts at signing players I would say that Levy must be incompetent if that's his way of pacifying the fans. It clearly doesn't work.

I suppose I can understand the Machiavellian description of Levy as the schemer looking to work a deal everywhere and stretching that to even going behind the backs of our own fans (although I don't agree with it myself), but the incompetent bit really doesn't fit.

I thnk that we have all noticed this season that even the top clubs have had really poor defences but have got the striking fire power at the front that gets them through. Even man U sitting pretty at the top of the league have been very poor defensively but have RVP, Rooney, Hernandez etc to win them matches. I think that is why we are disappointed as we have needed a clinical striker for a few years and know that it could be the difference between success or even just qualifying for CL/Europa.
I think with sandro being out we do as fans worry about conceeding more goals now too unless parker gets his mojo back. One big plus is the signing of Holtby, really like the look of him.

It is Feb 1st and we are 4th. Is it tight? Yes. Are the filth, the chavs and the junior 'dippers having a wobble and moan? You betcha! I think people should save their moaning for May, by which time it might not be necessary!!!!!
QUOTE]

I completely agree with this comment. Last year we had Harry, and he lost his concentration big time thanks in no small part to the noise/distraction of the England job. We now have AVB who in my opinion is tactically years ahead of Harry. Look at Wednesday night. Yes we were shocking in the first half, but to be fair, AVB was able to make enough of an impact at half time to change the game. I don't think Harry had that in him.... so AVB is one reason we will make Top 4 (if not 3rd)

Adebayor appears to be recovering form at the ACN... he potentially will come back sharper, and can replace Defoe who patently needs a rest. We can play perfectly well with one up top.

We have a better goalkeeper/defence than last year, with more options. We haven't lost for nine games... OK, we have drawn a few recently, but I'd rather do that than lose.

Arsenal are not the side they were... I still believe they are mentally fragile, and so long as we beat them at home, we'll finish above them. Have you seen Everton's next few games? If they win all them, then they will deserve to qualify for the CL. Chelsea? The waiter is doing his best to destroy them... long may
he continue.

Up the positives... I still think that 3rd is ours for the taking

Back