• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

I thought he looked as covered a lot of ground and was definitely the standout player yesterday. He just walks like he is tired, there’s a 7 year old in my sons football team who has a similar gait!

This for me as well, he has a gait that makes him look like he is struggling all the time and makes it look like he is unfit. I really do not think its anymore then that.

This for me as well, he has a gait that makes him look like he is struggling all the time and makes it look like he is unfit. I really do not think its anymore then that.

If that's correct it makes you wonder why he keeps getting subbed off so regularly

If that's correct it makes you wonder why he keeps getting subbed off so regularly

Like everyone else i have no real idea, but the point still stands he has the gait of a guy who always looks knackered, and i do not think its because he is unfit.

Like everyone else i have no real idea, but the point still stands he has the gait of a guy who always looks knackered, and i do not think its because he is unfit.
The gait isn't a result of being unfit.

To me he looks to be gaining fitness gradually. Playing with an increased intensity, lasting a bit longer in the games. If 70 minutes is the new normal, as I hope it is, he can hopefully push on from there and last 80-90 minutes in the not too distant future.

It may of course be that he's at the maximum fitness level he can get to and at that this intensity lasting 90 minutes will be a challenge. For now I don't see that. It may also be that the requirements from Mourinho for that role is such that most players would struggle to play more than 60-70 minutes. For now I don't see that either.

Or Mourinho is just taking him off because of tactical reasons. I really struggle to see that being the case.

The gait isn't a result of being unfit.

To me he looks to be gaining fitness gradually. Playing with an increased intensity, lasting a bit longer in the games. If 70 minutes is the new normal, as I hope it is, he can hopefully push on from there and last 80-90 minutes in the not too distant future.

It may of course be that he's at the maximum fitness level he can get to and at that this intensity lasting 90 minutes will be a challenge. For now I don't see that. It may also be that the requirements from Mourinho for that role is such that most players would struggle to play more than 60-70 minutes. For now I don't see that either.

Or Mourinho is just taking him off because of tactical reasons. I really struggle to see that being the case.
I think it’s the latter myself

When he was being swapped for Lo Celso or even Dele I think it would be for tiredness, when it’s for Sissoko it must be tactical as they are in no way like for like, unless Tim Sherwood is judging.

I think it’s the latter myself
Some games I could see that. Yesterday, with Winks on a yellow playing the position Sissoko usually plays and Ndombele having a good game. Like I said I struggle to see that. Why does Mourinho think it's the right tactical decision to take off Ndombele at that stage every single game?
When he was being swapped for Lo Celso or even Dele I think it would be for tiredness, when it’s for Sissoko it must be tactical as they are in no way like for like, unless Tim Sherwood is judging.
Or, you know, he was tiring so had to come off and Sissoko was judged the best options out of the limited options available.

Some games I could see that. Yesterday, with Winks on a yellow playing the position Sissoko usually plays and Ndombele having a good game. Like I said I struggle to see that. Why does Mourinho think it's the right tactical decision to take off Ndombele at that stage every single game? Or, you know, he was tiring so had to come off and Sissoko was judged the best options out of the limited options available.
I didn’t get it yesterday
But we don’t know his fitness levels
Just felt odd

Just to add one more thing.

Mourinho on Ndombele and Lo Celso playing together:

"Can they play together? Yes, they can. The physical condition for both is very important.

"To play with the two together, we need them to be fit and play with the right intensity. And they will play together. I'm not saying tomorrow or Sunday or next week but they will play together."

That was two weeks ago. Doesn't explicitly say that Ndombele still isn't at top fitness levels, but certainly quotes consistent with that viewpoint.

Or, you know, he was tiring so had to come off and Sissoko was judged the best options out of the limited options available.
Well I don’t know so perhaps that was the sole reason for the sub.
I should have caveated my post that I was speculating on the intent behind the decision but the impact was tactical, as the players are opposites in terms of what they bring to the team tactically. Dele or even Lamela would have been more like for like imo, but obviously the former is out of favour and the latter was earmarked as a later tactical replacement for Son.

Some games I could see that. Yesterday, with Winks on a yellow playing the position Sissoko usually plays and Ndombele having a good game. Like I said I struggle to see that. Why does Mourinho think it's the right tactical decision to take off Ndombele at that stage every single game? Or, you know, he was tiring so had to come off and Sissoko was judged the best options out of the limited options available.
It was a defensive substitution.

Whether that was because he felt he didn't have any other options despite having Dele on the bench. The change was one that could only result in a more defensive approach to the game. Right at the point when when we might have been able exert a bit of control back into the game with the I reduction of Bergwijn.

Another quote, not from Mourinho, but from Julien Laurens over at ESPN (I think he's quite well connected when it comes to French football and players):

"He has yet to play the full 90 minutes in a league match this season, for example, and while Ndombele has been frustrated at times to come off in the final third of matches, it's all part of the plan to build his stamina to where it counts most in the latter part of the season."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/tottenh...f-premier-leagues-best-under-mourinho-in-2020

No direct quote (which we're obviously unlikely to get), but pointing towards his fitness being the reason for his substitutions.

Eh. Re: his fitness, I remember Poch warning everyone pretty early on that we would need 2+ years to see the best out of him on a regular basis.

At the time, I was outraged that it would take that long, and blamed Poch's legendarily slow methods of incorporating a player into the starting eleven. But, honestly, he's being proven right - hell, he left, Mourinho came in, it'd been a year and a half, and we've only seen a small growth in Tanguy's fitness, even in a less physically demanding system.

It just baffles me how the club saw this guy and thought 'record signing', given his fitness woes and mentality issues that must surely have been evident even in his Ligue 1 days. He's enormously talented, but clearly, it will take 2 years out of his 6 year contract just to get him up to speed. Is that worth it?

Eh. Re: his fitness, I remember Poch warning everyone pretty early on that we would need 2+ years to see the best out of him on a regular basis.

At the time, I was outraged that it would take that long, and blamed Poch's legendarily slow methods of incorporating a player into the starting eleven. But, honestly, he's being proven right - hell, he left, Mourinho came in, it'd been a year and a half, and we've only seen a small growth in Tanguy's fitness, even in a less physically demanding system.

It just baffles me how the club saw this guy and thought 'record signing', given his fitness woes and meteorology issues that must surely have been evident even in his Ligue 1 days. He's enormously talented, but clearly, it will take 2 years out of his 6 year contract just to get him up to speed. Is that worth it?
Unbelievable!
It sounds dodgy.

Yes I know what you mean.

but bloody hell that Ndombele taking 2 years to get fit report is shocking. Then guess what mugs still buys him :D very sexy;)
Your buying talent and ability
Premier league eleven is different to France by some way but I saw him boss CL games against city and shine vs Barca do he is no mug
He is already fit enough to play in this league but the managers seem to not want him to get 90 in
That’s the key

Back