• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Surprise player this season

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
You know when you pick your fantasy footie players and there's always someone you didn't expect much from?

How about at Spurs - we've written off Bentley, Jenas, GDS, Bassong, Gomes, etc

We have a new manager with a new system, maybe a different culture, etc...

Who at Tottenham is going to be the surprise package? Is JJ going to be the World beater he coul dhave been (lol), will Bentley finally make it, will Gomes find more confidence behind a regular CB partnership and with a coach who speaks Portuguese?

How about the youngsters - will we see something from Bostock afterall??

A new manager always throws up a surprise - who will it be?

I bet most ppl will go for GDS due to the formation they feel AVB will play, personally i think jenas will do well. Working as a box to box mid, pressing alot, no time for him to think, yea always quite liked Jenas for some odd reason that i can't explain so thats my vote.

Jenas, if he stays, will only be used sparingly id have thought - Sandro Parker and Luka (or his replacement) will be in front of him, possibly even Huddelstone as well as VdV and Sigurdsson depending on the formation, whereas i think we will be sticking to Lennon and dos Santos for the RW/RWF role and GDS will get more game time to impress

although Jenas does have the athleticism which could be an important factor for the way Villa Boas plays (so i hear anyway) so he could be used a fair bit i guess

Sandro Modric (Moutinho)
___Jenas

maybe ?

Last edited:
Bassong if he stays good player

Within the league? Pog matey at reading? Expecting big things from freibat fulham as well

VDV for me - about time he took a proper press-then-attack role, without that deep running back to defence to backup the right-back nonsense.
20+ goals if we are able to eke out more from his vision and creativity going forward.

Hudd as well for me, Very excited about seeing him back feeding the balls to Bale/Lennon

VDV for me - about time he took a proper press-then-attack role, without that deep running back to defence to backup the right-back nonsense.
20+ goals if we are able to eke out more from his vision and creativity going forward.

This.

Within a proper season where he doesn't have to resort to the 'roy of the rovers' role, I think Rafa will really flourish.

Jenas, if he stays, will only be used sparingly id have thought - Sandro Parker and Luka (or his replacement) will be in front of him, possibly even Huddelstone as well as VdV and Sigurdsson depending on the formation, whereas i think we will be sticking to Lennon and dos Santos for the RW/RWF role and GDS will get more game time to impress

although Jenas does have the athleticism which could be an important factor for the way Villa Boas plays (so i hear anyway) so he could be used a fair bit i guess

Sandro Modric (Moutinho)
___Jenas

maybe ?

Thing is with Jenas, while he isnt a world beater in any one area he is decent enough cover in most midfield positions, so it could be that he becomes vital utility for the squad.

He could cover the box to box role, a more disciplined DM role, a winger role....

Again, Im not saying he would be brilliant but "good enough" to help us in a pinch.

I do also think he could suit a high pressing midfield three.

Before Sigurdsson signed I said I thought Livermore could be a surprise package, I still believe he could but suspect he wont get the chances.

Dos Santos is an obvious choice, fits the formation (for the first time since he has been here) and clearly has ability.

Im also going to suggest Lennon. This could be the year, and the set up, where we finally see everything he has to offer. Lets be honest, as good as he has been there has always been the air of "but theres more in him" with Lennon. If he gets confidence, and adds goals to his game he could be truly amazing.

Dos Santos, has to be. I just hope AVB speaks to him, says he will get chances in a system that will make the most of him as we are looking to compete seriously in 4 competitions. And then he stays and flourishes. He surely will if given the opportunity.

Isn't that hope over experience?

He was signed under one manager, got injured and that manager got sacked. He was then injured some more, a new manager came in that didn't rate him and he was constantly loaned out, before taking a position as back up in the squad in a system that doesn't play to his strengths. All the while being consistently good for his national team.

He's the typical example of someone who has had the circumstances run against them, but if they went his way I see no reason why he couldn't do well for us. Not that we necessarily should have made it that good for him before - there's no reason we should have changed the system or played him ahead of other well performing members of our team. But now, with the new man, I think there's definitely potential for him to do well behind blind hope.

Easily Hudd if he is forgotten enough to count as a surprise player this season.

I don't see Gio, Bassong or Coulibaly making it this season though. Would obviously love to be wrong.

If Joe Allen moves to a bigger club I think he could be a great hit next season, and like every season I'll say Taraabt, just because.

Gio COULD become what Taarabt failed to be... a long-term impact player from the bench, and maybe happy with that?

As and when Modric goes (and assuming Mouthino doesn't arrive) the door could well be open for Jenas... he's running out of time to realise his potential... i'll give him ONE more manager to try, if not... a return to Forest surely awaits!

Back