• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Date: 6th JUly 2012
ITK: Ali Z
Player: Walcott

NOT true his agent is spreading this story to get him a good deal.

the perfect player for Liverpool: expensive, over-rated, flatters to deceive, a Hodgson favourite

That would make me very happy, his all round game is up there with the best in the league. If he could head the ball/finish he would be a ridiculous player... 17 in 33 in the league is pretty damn good anyway. I've just never really believed we could stump up enough in wages.

He showed against us in the CL he can head the ball just fine.

I also think his finishing would improve in a "pure goalscorer" role instead of a "total forward" role, 30+ goals in one season for Arsenal shows he can do it

He showed against us in the CL he can head the ball just fine.

I also think his finishing would improve in a "pure goalscorer" role instead of a "total forward" role, 30+ goals in one season for Arsenal shows he can do it

What? How can 1 game possibly be solid evidence that he can head the ball? His first goal from a header for us came against Swansea at home... in April (okay he scored 2 headers that day, but how many sitters did he put wide with his head before that!?). Him and Crouch have to be 2 of the worst headers in football for their size!

He would probably score more goals but he also got 11 assists last year and his lateral movement was key in our attacking play, no need to change a very successful formula. He just isn't a naturally gifted finisher. Obviously he still knows where the net is though!

I don't think he's that BAD at heading. I seem to remember a few headed goals for City and Arsenal. For some reason, Bale and Lennon like to cross the ball low to him as opposed to trying to find his head

Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen is closing on a move to Tottenham, with his agent hopeful of reaching an agreement with Ajax.

Vertonghen has returned to pre-season training with the Eredivisie club but has made no secret of his desire to join Spurs, having long been linked with a move to White Hart Lane.

The potential switch has stalled over a disagreement between the player and Ajax over a clause in his contract which he claims entitles him to 15 per cent of any transfer fee.

The 25-year-old has even suggested he could see out the remaining year of his contract in Amsterdam and leave on a free transfer next summer if a deal is not reached.

But Nakhli Mondial, a member of Vertonghen's management agency, hopes a solution can be negotiated with Ajax which suits both parties.

Solution

He told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf: "We have a meeting with Ajax at the end of this morning to come to a solution.

"There is some movement and we have the intention to come to an agreement."

Vertonghen, who came through the youth ranks at Ajax, helped the club to the Eredivisie title last season.

His arrival at Spurs would follow that of highly-rated Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, who became new manager Andre Villas-Boas' first signing earlier this week.

I remember against Liverpool (2010/2011 season) he looked the best player on the pitch

From what I remember, I thought he put in very promising performance but I wanted to see him tested properly, he was never really stretched and put to the test. To call him the best player on the pitch is a bit if an exaggeration (that's if IIRC, which is by no means definite!). I also didn't think he was even that bad when he played for us last season, would have been content with him as back-up to Benny this season, equally it doesn't take too much imagination to think that this Fryers kid could be better than Rose, he never looked anything special to me.

The Fryers story did the rounds a couple of weeks ago. It's his agent trying to get him a payrise.

The Fryers story did the rounds a couple of weeks ago. It's his agent trying to get him a payrise.

somebody said the same of the reported interest in Siggy from Spurs, "ohhh its just his agent using Spurs to bump up his deal with Liverpool"

well, we see how that turned out dont we

Id say we are interested in Fryers, why wouldnt we be, a highly rated young defender out of contract at United

True but I mean a foreign goalie for not a lot of money. Look at Vorm and krul and also scehzniey (fcuk knows how to spell) all cheap. Completely go against my comments on foreign players but they were bargains! Dont want us spending 15mil on a keeper!

I don't understand why we wouldn't spend 15m on a key player in a key position.

Krul and Schezny were both bought a couple of years back and needed that time to mature to be ready for the Premiership, no? Vorm looks good (not sure if great though), but he was a bit of a gamble.

Goalkeepers are very difficult to sign and get right for a number of reasons. I don't understand why people don't want to spend money on them, they directly influence results as much as any player pretty much and for a AVB system to work we need a goalie that's good on the ball as well so to me it looks like a key position. Although spending more money on a goalkeeper doesn't guarantee that it works out it (for me at least) increases the chance of us getting the man we need straight away.

Have a look at United post Schmeichel, how many "cheap options" did they go through before they ended up signing van der Saar? How about Arsenal after Seaman? I think either club could have had much better result in that time if they had just said "fudge it, let's get the best goalie we can" and I think both clubs could have afforded it. Look at Ferguson now, when van der Saar retired he wasn't going to much about again with 4-5m players to see if one works out, he went straight out and brought in both a 5m player in Lindegaard and one of the most promising goalies in the world for a bunch of money.

If the right goalkeeper is available we should go for him imo, if Lloris is that player I honestly don't know though.

Ajax Showtime ‏@Ajaxshowtimecom
Jan #Vertonghen showed up at the training this morning. Still with the squad #THFC

Francois Piraux ‏@F8Piraux
According to "AS" and the Croatian press, Luka Modric (#THFC) could sign in the next few hours with the Real Madrid. #Modric

BackPage. ‏@BackPage
PSG have opened talks with Tottenham for Luka Modric #THFC #PSG

Well, they're the French version of City, so I hope we charge them a similarly inflated rate. 50 million or so. Can't think of any players they have that we'd particularly need, either, so straight cash.

Though Levy will probably use their interest to force Madrid into giving us the player exchange deal we want.

Ajax Showtime ‏@Ajaxshowtimecom
Jan #Vertonghen showed up at the training this morning. Still with the squad #THFC

Francois Piraux ‏@F8Piraux
According to "AS" and the Croatian press, Luka Modric (#THFC) could sign in the next few hours with the Real Madrid. #Modric

Bah

BAHHHH!

Back