• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, they're the French version of City, so I hope we charge them a similarly inflated rate. 50 million or so. Can't think of any players they have that we'd particularly need, either, so straight cash.

Though Levy will probably use their interest to force Madrid into giving us the player exchange deal we want.

Menez looked decent for France at the Euros.. would be an upgrade on lennon IMO.. Sakho is highly rated too..

Modric in the French league??? what a waste, like with Pastore.

I wish Tainio had been a good player...loved him and his attitude!

Spurs fan also!

I thought he was a good player to be honest. Very sensible on the ball and had a very good short range passing game. Very intelligent player. Unfortunately he also liked a tackle, which was unfortunate as he seemed to be made of glass!!

What? How can 1 game possibly be solid evidence that he can head the ball? His first goal from a header for us came against Swansea at home... in April (okay he scored 2 headers that day, but how many sitters did he put wide with his head before that!?). Him and Crouch have to be 2 of the worst headers in football for their size!

He would probably score more goals but he also got 11 assists last year and his lateral movement was key in our attacking play, no need to change a very successful formula. He just isn't a naturally gifted finisher. Obviously he still knows where the net is though!

Im not saying its proof, its simply an example of when he has headed goals. And to be fair, it was a bloody fine header too - showing he can get power and technique into them.

We will be changing a successful formula, AVB and Harry operate on completely different football philosophys - and I think Ade would be well adept at playing in either...

legend

[video=youtube;-wf5yuE7G38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wf5yuE7G38[/video]

United will go for Moutinho now that it's obvious they won't get Modric. Bid already in according to some reasonably clued up people on twitter. If we're interested it will depend on the draw of AVB, but don't think we stand much chance.

United will go for Moutinho now that it's obvious they won't get Modric. Bid already in according to some reasonably clued up people on twitter. If we're interested it will depend on the draw of AVB, but don't think we stand much chance.

From how much Moutinho seems to rave about AVB, I'd say we have a great chance to be honest. If we are breaking the wage structure for top players like with Bale, we could put him on near enough what he would probably get from United, and the draw of AVB may be pretty great.

...It could also be our version of Rodgers losing out on Siggy though!

Manchester United make £20m bid for services of Moutinho

Manchester United have tabled a formal offer, believed to be about £20 million, for João Moutinho, the Portugal midfield player.

United contacted Porto, the 25-year-old’s present club, this week to establish their valuation of the playmaker and they returned with an opening offer yesterday. It is thought that Porto are prepared to sell Moutinho, an £8.5 million signing from Sporting Lisbon two years ago, but want as much as £26 million. United will hope the lure of playing at Old Trafford will be enough to encourage the player to agitate for a move and reduce the price.

United, though, are likely to face intense competition from Tottenham Hotspur for the player, who worked with André Villas-Boas, Spurs’ newly appointed manager, at Porto in 2010. Villas-Boas has earmarked Moutinho as his priority recruit should Luka Modric, the Croatia international, leave White Hart Lane.

Moutinho has admitted that he would welcome the chance to work with Villas-Boas again and the Spurs manager will no doubt hope to use that personal relationship to encourage the player to forgo Champions League football for at least one season

[...snipped out the irrelevant Spurs stuff...]

Villas-Boas is also keen to be reunited with João Moutinho, the Portugal playmaker with whom he enjoyed such success at Porto, although Spurs will face competition from Manchester United for his services. The Old Trafford club have inquired about the 25-year-old’s availability, although it is thought that his relationship with Villas-Boas may offset the loss of Champions League football if both sides formalise their interest.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3467359.ece

Im not saying its proof, its simply an example of when he has headed goals. And to be fair, it was a bloody fine header too - showing he can get power and technique into them.

We will be changing a successful formula, AVB and Harry operate on completely different football philosophys - and I think Ade would be well adept at playing in either...

I'm just haunted by memories of the many sitters he missed for us last season! Obviously he can score good headers, it's just a matter of doing it consistently, which he simply did not do for us last season IMO.

Okay, we'll be changing a successful formula in terms of team tactic but I think overall Adebayor's role will (or should) be pretty similar, lots of lateral movement to drag CBs about in order to create space from runners from deep and the wingers cutting in, dropping deep to draw them out of position and link play, while also providing a presence in the box. Maybe he'll be told to get in the box more but I don't think that's where his skills are best utilised and I'm not sure how rigidly he would stick to that anyway, so I don't think there'll be much of a radical change in what he does. Playing him strictly as a poacher in the mould of Falcao for Porto would be a mistake IMO... (that's if we even sign him!)

Moutinho and Kagawa as their CM? Looks too lightweight to me. They always play 4-4-2 and will continue to do so with their wingers and CFs

Moutinho and Kagawa as their CM? Looks too lightweight to me. They always play 4-4-2 and will continue to do so with their wingers and CFs

I don't see Kagawa playing in a typical 4-4-2. Think Fergie might be planning some tactical changes again.

Kagawa won't be playing at CM. He'll be an option on the wings or behind the striker. Moutinho did say how much he would love to work with AVB again though...

Much smaller scale but Asamoah Gyan has just agreed a permanent deal to move to the UAE after being there on loan. Some people do move for money rahter than football

I wouldn't be surprised if PSG did a bit of damage in the CL this year, they've signed Lavezzi this summer already.

Gyan doesn't have what it takes mentally I reckon. Would rather take the easy route, good pay, best player in the league, being pampered.

Back