• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well we were in for Berbatov right at the end..

"Meanwhile, Berbatov's agent, Emil Danchev, revealed there was late interest from Spurs, who signed him from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006. "We were in touch with
Tottenham at the last moment,'' he said."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...-i've-lost-respect-for-alex-ferguson?cc=5739#

fooking panic stations on deadline day

England coach Gary Neville tweets: "What the transfer deadline gives you is a clear indication of which are the badly run football clubs!"

We aren't in a position to compete financially with the top clubs, that's what needs to be realised.
Why didn't we go for Moutinho earlier? Well Porto wanted his buy out clause earlier, that's £31m
Hugo Lloris? He was rated at 18m.
Talking about 18m, that's what Real Madrid wanted for Rafael van der Vaart. We got him at 8m because of Levy's tactic.
Levy knows we can't compete with the top clubs, we have financial power greater than the rest though, what does he do?
Well he wait untill clubs get desperate, that's when we can sign player above our pay grade.
Want deals done before season start? Sure it's achievable, but most of the time it won't be the best players. We could have signed Fletcher and Johnson early on, would it take us forward though?
We wait untill players and clubs get desperate, then we strike. We win some, and obviously will lose some as well.
Vertonghen deal shows that Levy will act if there's a deal to be made early on, most of the time it isn't

We aren't in a position to compete financially with the top clubs, that's what needs to be realised.
Why didn't we go for Moutinho earlier? Well Porto wanted his buy out clause earlier, that's £31m
Hugo Lloris? He was rated at 18m.
Talking about 18m, that's what Real Madrid wanted for Rafael van der Vaart. We got him at 8m because of Levy's tactic.
Levy knows we can't compete with the top clubs, we have financial power greater than the rest though, what does he do?
Well he wait untill clubs get desperate, that's when we can sign player above our pay grade.
Want deals done before season start? Sure it's achievable, but most of the time it won't be the best players. We could have signed Fletcher and Johnson early on, would it take us forward though?
We wait untill players and clubs get desperate, then we strike. We win some, and obviously will lose some as well.
Vertonghen deal shows that Levy will act if there's a deal to be made early on, most of the time it isn't

By all accounts of what happened regarding the Moutinho deal in the last throws of the window that's pretty much exactly what Levy did by upping the deal to around 30m then paperwork got in the way. I'm not saying your wrong but if the reports are true then the argument can be made that we should have met Porto's evaluation earlier to secure AVB's number one target instead of Levy playing his normal game of brinkmanship.

Paris SG have confirmed the signing of Van Der Wiel from Ajax

Fenerbahce have confirmed the signing of Raul Meireles from Chelsea

By all accounts of what happened regarding the Moutinho deal in the last throws of the window that's pretty much exactly what Levy did by upping the deal to around 30m then paperwork got in the way. I'm not saying your wrong but if the reports are true then the argument can be made that we should have met Porto's evaluation earlier to secure AVB's number one target instead of Levy playing his normal game of brinkmanship.

and who's to say that Porto would not just turned around and asked for 40 Million?

and who's to say that Porto would not just turned around and asked for 40 Million?

I'm trying to have a discussion based around some of the details that have been released surrounding the transfer, it's very easy to say Porto should have demanded 40 million but as far as I am aware they did not.

Moutinho wont leave Porto now or rather Porto wont sell now - no need to. They just got 50m for Hulk (is he really that good?). We missed the boat.

How is that in Moutinho's best interests?

It's not. He'd never agree to it.

I agree.

I mean firstly who knows what will happen - we could be languishing bottom three with AVB fired... Porto may ask for more money in January. Its not in the best interests of any party.

Anyone know which players are without a contract, not because I want us to bring in someone. Just a little curious.

Here's a few more names of free-agents:

Transfer News: A List Of The Top Out Of Contract Players Who Can Still Be Signed - Sports Network - IBTimes.com

Premier League - Free agents - transfermarkt.co.uk

PREMIER LEAGUE FREE AGENTS: All the out of contract players club-by-club | Premiership News | tribalfootball.com

Owen, Ballack, Reo-Coker, Heskey, MacFadden, Hargreaves, Bouba Diop, Klasnic, Carew, Salgado...

I'm trying to have a discussion based around some of the details that have been released surrounding the transfer, it's very easy to say Porto should have demanded 40 million but as far as I am aware they did not.

Did they not turn around and ask for more money once we agreed wages?

we were never seriously negotiating for him. The Modric money went on Dembele, Lloris and Dempsey

sell to buy policy, clear as day

Which makes sense.

Then you look at the others we sold. The fact that we ended the window approximately 15-20m in profit makes me agree. Sell to buy.

That's why we bid for Moutinho.

Last edited:
Back