• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which makes sense.

Then you look at the others we sold. The fact that we ended the window approximately 15-20m in profit makes me agree. Sell to buy.

That's why we bid for Moutinho.

I'd say that money pretty much cover payoffs to players we've sold, sign on fees, agent fees and various other stuff.

We aren't in a position to compete financially with the top clubs, that's what needs to be realised.
Why didn't we go for Moutinho earlier? Well Porto wanted his buy out clause earlier, that's £31m
Hugo Lloris? He was rated at 18m.
Talking about 18m, that's what Real Madrid wanted for Rafael van der Vaart. We got him at 8m because of Levy's tactic.
Levy knows we can't compete with the top clubs, we have financial power greater than the rest though, what does he do?
Well he wait untill clubs get desperate, that's when we can sign player above our pay grade.
Want deals done before season start? Sure it's achievable, but most of the time it won't be the best players. We could have signed Fletcher and Johnson early on, would it take us forward though?
We wait untill players and clubs get desperate, then we strike. We win some, and obviously will lose some as well.
Vertonghen deal shows that Levy will act if there's a deal to be made early on, most of the time it isn't

AMEN

I hope you all read this

We cannot pay £32m and £120kpw wages in July like Cheatski

So we have to wait and haggle

We have a budget and have to balance the books

AMEN

I hope you all read this

yep there's been a lot of embarrassing posts this transfer window.

We're all disappointed we couldn't get a fantastic player like Moutinho (although we did get Dembele, a player with great potential), but that's not really the market our finances should allow us to shop in. We somehow managed to get Lloris for an unbelievably low price and who knows about Sigurdsson and Vertonghen, again great potential like Moussa - Not even mentioning a new strikeforce of Ade for 5m and Dempsey for 6m !

Levy's tactics will mean we miss out on some, but also gets great deals as well. That's just the way it is unless we want to sell our soul to the oil barons or get an American owner in to sink us in debt or give a club dinosaur 100m to spend on dross! It's Levy everytime for me, as frustrating as the brinkmanship is for fans, it's necessary in most cases.

Just to say, the squad that AVB has been left with is still good, we should be doing better than we are, I think it will eventually click in to place.

Which makes sense.

Then you look at the others we sold. The fact that we ended the window approximately 15-20m in profit makes me agree. Sell to buy.

That's why we bid for Moutinho.

what 15-20 mill profit??

ins....Dembele 15m, Lloris 9m, Vertonghen 9m, Sigurdsson 8m, Dempsey 7m, Adebayor 5m = 53mil

outs..Modric 33m, VDV 10m, Krancjar 5m, Corluka 4m, Pienaar 4m, Bassong 3m, GDS 1m = 60 mill

all figures are approximative, some deals were undisclosed, and agent fees and signing on fees have to be taken into consideration with the incomings which would also raise the expenditure on that side

There was no way we could afford Moutinho. If anything, Spurs probably made an enquiry early on and were prepared to go as far as 16-18 mill for him, but thats a waste of time because Porto were never going to sell for less than the buyout clause which is closer to 30 mill

and thats why we settled on Dembele who was affordable

AMEN

I hope you all read this

And worth adding that if we did then we'd also be paying an additional 750K in wages just to sign someone at the beginning of July compared to August.

Could also be a reason we sign players late.

what 15-20 mill profit??

ins....Dembele 15m, Lloris 9m, Vertonghen 9m, Sigurdsson 8m, Dempsey 7m, Adebayor 5m = 53mil

outs..Modric 33m, VDV 10m, Krancjar 5m, Corluka 4m, Pienaar 4m, Bassong 3m, GDS 1m = 60 mill

all figures are approximative, some deals were undisclosed, and agent fees and signing on fees have to be taken into consideration with the incomings which would also raise the expenditure on that side

There was no way we could afford Moutinho. If anything, Spurs probably made an enquiry early on and were prepared to go as far as 16-18 mill for him, but thats a waste of time because Porto were never going to sell for less than the buyout clause which is closer to 30 mill

Ah damn, i had missed Vert.

Good call.

So with the reduction in wages we probably ended up making a little, but not a lot.

Last edited:
Ah damn, i had missed Vert.

Good call.

So with the reduction in wages we probably ended up making a little, but not a lot.

I reckon that our wages compared to last year are about flat. We have lost some high earners and got rid of more players than we signed. However that has been offset by high wages for Adebayor and also new improved contracts for Bale, Walker and Lennon.

We also have to factor in pay offs to any players who didn't request a transfer, agents fees and the pay offs for Harry and his coaching team.

The overall income rising from the new deal with Under Armour and also Sky TV should mean that our wage to turnover ratio is now looking healthier which should help to generate funds for future forays into the transfer market but I don't think we are currently sitting on a big war chest for the January window.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3774...special-chelsea-foiled-in-last-ditch-remy-bid

HOW THE MOUTINHO DEAL FELL THROUGH

Tottenham's failure to sign Joao Moutinho from Porto on the final day of the window was caused by a dispute over wages and the Portuguese club's decision to raise the asking price several hours after a £22m deal had been agreed.

Spurs spent most of Friday afternoon in conversation with Moutinho's agent, while Andre Villas-Boas personally spoke to the playmaker as he tried to land his top summer target.

Moutinho agreed personal terms less than an hour before the 23.00BST deadline but, by then, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was at loggerheads with Porto, who upped the asking price to £24m, citing a sell-on clause owed to Sporting Lisbon.

Desperate to sign the 25-year-old playmaker, Tottenham agreed to increase their offer but the contractual documents sent by Porto contained irregularities that were not corrected in time.

Spurs considered appealing for an extension to the deadline but gave up on their attempts to sign Moutinho, with officials at the London club furious with what they consider an unprofessional approach from Porto.

I still reckon they found out the offer for Hulk was going to come in and deliberately spoiled the paperwork knowing the deadline would pass before the sale went through. They must have done it dozens of times before, and have trained lawyers to fill it in, so why suddenly would there be mistakes so close to the deadline. What with that and raising asking prices, the whole saga smacks of Porto deliberately dragging it out.

I still reckon they found out the offer for Hulk was going to come in and deliberately spoiled the paperwork knowing the deadline would pass before the sale went through. They must have done it dozens of times before, and have trained lawyers to fill it in, so why suddenly would there be mistakes so close to the deadline. What with that and raising asking prices, the whole saga smacks of Porto deliberately dragging it out.

You say "the whole saga" as if it's a deal that dragged on throughout the summer, when in reality it was dragged on over a few hours. Therein lies the problem. At the end of the day, a deal worth £22m can not be negotiated in <24 hours for a club with finances are tight as Spurs. Whether this goes down to the Modric sale (which did drag on) or your chairman's brinksmanship, I don't know. But I don't think it's right to fix the blame solely on Porto.

Mate, sorry, you really think Moutinho's agent came to Tottenham and stayed in the club until close to 1am to humour fans? It's quite obvious we were seriously bidding for him.

Back