• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think he means Lewandowski, he just retweeted someone with that suggestion. Lets not get excited, so many BSers and I don't think i've ever seen a tweet like this come true?

How often is your plan B employed? How does it impact the ideas of continuity in the team and its playing style?

As often as necessary - there is no correct formula - mostly dependant on your opponent. Utd have made it work somehow - the system is adaptable, not a constant

As far as continuity is concerned - that is achieved through a fundamental style of play, not only via using the same players. You could have two formations utilising a similar game of pressing, long balls, high-line, sweeper, zonal marking, last man, etc. Or you could have the same formation with minor positional variations - possibly our solution of choice long term

As often as necessary - there is no correct formula - mostly dependant on your opponent. Utd have made it work somehow - the system is adaptable, not a constant

As far as continuity is concerned - that is achieved through a fundamental style of play, not only via using the same players. You could have two formations utilising a similar game of pressing, long balls, high-line, sweeper, zonal marking, last man, etc. Or you could have the same formation with minor positional variations - possibly our solution of choice long term

Using two different types of striker, for example Hernandez and Adebayor, dictates fundamentally different styles.

Using fundamentally different styles dictates a lack of continuity.

A lack of continuity, IMO, is what keeps the rest from the best

Probably just BS. Lets see whether any more reputable sources pick up on it (though not sure what is more reputable to be honest........)

Using two different types of striker, for example Hernandez and Adebayor, dictates fundamentally different styles.

Using fundamentally different styles dictates a lack of continuity.

A lack of continuity, IMO, is what keeps the rest from the best

Not really - the formation would be largerly unchanged - your striker simply offers different options with minor adjustments elsewhere. Countless teams have made it work - far more succesful than us or AVB.

Not really - the formation would be largerly unchanged - your striker simply offers different options with minor adjustments elsewhere. Countless teams have made it work - far more succesful than us or AVB.

"minor" adjustments between a player that can hang the whole attack together, make the ball stick up front and bring others into play vs one who only really comes to life in the box and works best off of service?

I dont think so.

I think while it may be on paper the same formation, the style would be entirely different.

Everyone getting excited like when we were told to expect a ton of cash to come our way and 3 of 4 new signings after the Vert and Sig transfers? hmmm same old brick and you all still fall for it.

I think while it may be on paper the same formation, the style would be entirely different.

Which is exactly what gives us the Option - although for some reason you see that as fundamentally changing our tactical ethos when in reality we would simply be adjusting our movement in the final third to an extent. Plus Hernandez is nowhere near as limited as you've suggested above - he'd lead their line many times in fact

We'd still be pressing, playing out wide, controlling the tempo, etc. - BUT we'd also have someone upfront who offers a different final product to the build up. Look at Utd over all those years.

In fact - AVB's Porto was far better suited to a 'Hernandez' than an 'Ade' - just as a side note. Someone to finish off all those chances, etc.

You HAVE to wonder if it's Berbatov? I wonder...

This "ITK" claims it's a bundesliga player, and I admit Lewandowski would probably be out of our reach, but I still don't think he's signed a new deal yet at dortmund. Huntelaar seems a bit more realistic. Also not Spanish... not sure who that rules out though.

Everyone getting excited like when we were told to expect a ton of cash to come our way and 3 of 4 new signings after the Vert and Sig transfers? hmmm same old brick and you all still fall for it.

Um I dont think anyone has fallen for it. Just this is a thread for speculation, however ridiculous.

If only he wouldn't be valued in the £30m bracket, Fellaini could have been an ideal striker for us! With his hold up skills, the way that he wins the ball in the air and makes the most of it on the deck, he certainly has the skills to fill the role.

Ron Vlaar: "I went to Tottenham twice but after talks with my parents I didn't go there. I think I made the right decision."

Back