• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

streaming on ipad 2

Job was ridiculed by the Android disciples back then but now it appears he might have had a point after all.

As I said earlier - expect the transition to be well advanced in the next 5-7 years (referring to the mobile/tablet industry here, of course)

we went through a lot of this when you put your other thread up about flash being dead, but rather than treat it as a genuine question about web technology and the future, it came across as yet another "apple is great, isn't it?" threads, because any of the replies that gave any information, were duly ignored.

but it's only the BROWSER PLUG IN for flash that has stopped being supported. the flash AIR runtime environment that runs apps is still going. i can honestly say the ONLY TIME i have EVER used the flash plugin on a browser on my phone, was when i was at somebody else's house, and i streamed the odd game to my phone via a webpage from wiziwig links. and so long as there are other alternative methods to use it, then it's not really any big deal at all.

Job was ridiculed by the Android disciples back then but now it appears he might have had a point after all.

which point was he right about?

main point was that it drained the battery life. correct, and of course he had a point, but imagine if they'd let the flash player work on the iphone? given how poor the battery life is WITHOUT it, how bad would it have reflected on apple if they let this resource hog kill it further? because you can bet your ass it wouldn't adobe that people would have painted in a bad light as a result.

i've said it before, and i'll say it once more. the main reason that flash wasn't available on the iphone, was because apple had to promote the idea of Apps and the App store. money for old rope, almost everything (particularly in the beginning) in the app market could have just as easily been done in flash, and available on the browser for FREE. a lot of it already was, in fact. now, the who store/app idea has sold well, and people bought into the idea, and it has worked out brilliantly for them - they support apps, developed in Flash, in the store. but they run in the runtime environment, and not the browser plugin, which suits them fine.

we went through a lot of this when you put your other thread up about flash being dead, but rather than treat it as a genuine question about web technology and the future, it came across as yet another "apple is great, isn't it?" threads, because any of the replies that gave any information, were duly ignored.

I didn't start that particular thread - could have been mango-man Southstand

As for the second bolded part - go back through the posts in this thread and establish a clear timeline before and after edgey-the-yid's sarcastic comment. You started the Apple references after that, not me.

I haven't promoted anything here - simply made a comment about my view on Flash in the next 5 years based on Apple's and now Android's take on matters in the mobile browser industry.

Half the world wide interweb still uses Flash

I'm just glad I can still install it on my Android devices

And as for mango. I think I've made my opinions quite clear on Windows O/S.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

Android is the superior mobile O/S. 67% of the world agrees with me.

which point was he right about?

main point was that it drained the battery life. correct, and of course he had a point, but imagine if they'd let the flash player work on the iphone?

Another main point was actually about security which I fully support by the way

Below is an interesting quote which shouldn't be overlooked and has been key part of their success over the years (especially on their computers range) - a seamless integration of hardware and softare designed for each-other

"letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform."

He also made reference to another important point - Flash being designed for PCs using mice and not mobile touch-screen devices using fingers.

Oh, and H.264 is absolutely brilliant.

and i'm talking about every other thread in the forum that talks about apple... maybe you don't realise how often or how vocal you come across as pro-apple :D

I'm not pro-Apple - I'm pro-informed decisions.

To be quite honest with you - these days I only respond to provocations / false allegations / assumptions (case in point in this very thread). I'm not a salesman. In other words - if some Android/Microsoft disciple makes a throw-away comment about a subject in which he's displaying sever lack of understanding - input is required.

For the record - you would actually find Apple users in general are mostly in the receivng end on this forum, not the other way around.

Last edited:
does that mean there are no sub-standard apps on the apple store..?
flash is software, it can (and is) updated. that being said, a mouse or touch screen are just an input device. touch screens have been around a lot longer than flash has - i was developing touch screen applications in 1997. the software couldn't give a crap about whether you use a mouse or your finger.
i would quite like to get into developing for mobiles, but as it is, i've still got about 3 years of flash work lined up. if i don't decide to drop my computer out of the window when flash crashes on me again ;)

and H.264 might be brilliant, but again, it was first *approved* in 2003. the web moves at a very slow pace sometimes.

I'm not pro-Apple - I'm pro-informed decisions.
:ross:
provided that the informed decision = Apple is the greatest ;)

EDIT: Sorry, am just poking a little fun in your direction about how your posts come across when i read them. it's not intended to be insulting or derogatory.

Last edited:
:ross:
provided that the informed decision = Apple is the greatest ;)

I only have 2 Apple products in my home amongst a substanial amount of technology.

And to be quite frank - I feel absolutely no further need to justify/explain myself to you as it appears you've made up you mind already

does that mean there are no sub-standard apps on the apple store..?
flash is software, it can (and is) updated. that being said, a mouse or touch screen are just an input device. touch screens have been around a lot longer than flash has - i was developing touch screen applications in 1997. the software couldn't give a crap about whether you use a mouse or your finger.
i would quite like to get into developing for mobiles, but as it is, i've still got about 3 years of flash work lined up. if i don't decide to drop my computer out of the window when flash crashes on me again ;)

and H.264 might be brilliant, but again, it was first *approved* in 2003. the web moves at a very slow pace sometimes.

The GUI and software are fundamentally different in their approach based on the respective input device - I'm not even going to argue that.

There is little more I can say on this matter other than 'let's wait and see where Flash is in 5 years time'

Here you can read Jobs' 'essay' if you're interested

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

i read it when it was released, i also read a lot of stuff about it then, and keep an eye on developments now. i work in the industry, so it would be foolish not to. i was working in the multimedia industry before flash, and will no doubt continue to do so after it's demise - you always need to learn new skills to keep going anyway. it's just a tool to get content to the user. it's been around for donkeys years (think i started learning in 96/97, alongside director for cd-rom authoring), and if it takes a further 5 years to die, it's had a good run at it. what it did, it did very well, and bridged the need to do things cross-platform, and cross-browser. a ridiculously high penetration, low overhead install plug-in for (some) really good rich media production.
of course there was a lot of crap done in flash, because it was so easy to use. something which (currently) can not be said for html5.

i am not, and have never suggested that flash will still be around and html5 will die, if that's what you're thinking, i'm just putting it out there that flash is NOT currently dead, and will not be for a long time. 5 years is quite some time still.

I didn't start that particular thread - could have been mango-man Southstand

As for the second bolded part - go back through the posts in this thread and establish a clear timeline before and after edgey-the-yid's sarcastic comment. You started the Apple references after that, not me.

I haven't promoted anything here - simply made a comment about my view on Flash in the next 5 years based on Apple's and now Android's take on matters in the mobile browser industry.

Oops have I started something? Hehe ;)

If anyone seriously thinks Flash is going to be around in a few years, check out the work Adobe are putting into Edge.

Flash is awful and I will be glad to see it go.

Edit: when I say around, I mean used by any developer with half a brain.

there are web-based industries who still have many users using internet explorer 6. yes, 6.
if you seriously believe that all of the industries that use flash currently (e-learning, games, gambling etc), are all going to die out and be replaced by html5 in what, 2-3 years... then there's no point me trying to convince you any further. it's not going to happen. they make vast fortunes with what they have out there, accessible etc. and for that to change, people using desktop PCs will have to change dramatically. of course, they are already well under way with making mobile versions of a lot of things, but the results of how they look is simply nowhere near the desktop flash based equivalents. miles away, in fact.

as far as i can tell with Edge, it's basically the first flash, but using CSS animation? does it have sound support yet? can it integrate video? create and manipulate bitmaps on the fly? 3d? in time i'm sure it will be expanded to do everything that flash does, but as it currently stands, it's about flash version 1/2 (circa 1995/1996), and flash is up to version 13 or so by now. i fully expect it to catch up, over take and remove flash. but pretty sure it won't be happening as soon as some might think/hope.

there are web-based industries who still have many users using internet explorer 6. yes, 6.
if you seriously believe that all of the industries that use flash currently (e-learning, games, gambling etc), are all going to die out and be replaced by html5 in what, 2-3 years... then there's no point me trying to convince you any further. it's not going to happen. they make vast fortunes with what they have out there, accessible etc. and for that to change, people using desktop PCs will have to change dramatically. of course, they are already well under way with making mobile versions of a lot of things, but the results of how they look is simply nowhere near the desktop flash based equivalents. miles away, in fact.

as far as i can tell with Edge, it's basically the first flash, but using CSS animation? does it have sound support yet? can it integrate video? create and manipulate bitmaps on the fly? 3d? in time i'm sure it will be expanded to do everything that flash does, but as it currently stands, it's about flash version 1/2 (circa 1995/1996), and flash is up to version 13 or so by now. i fully expect it to catch up, over take and remove flash. but pretty sure it won't be happening as soon as some might think/hope.

It may not do all of that, but clearly Adobe's efforts are no longer directed at Flash.

And sorry, not enough people use IE6 to make it an issue. If they do, then they miss out on things - tough. It is quite simply one of the worst bits of software ever made. IE7 is not much better and in my work as a front-end developer I have just about given up supporting it.

Back