• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Article was from 1st August, we already knew they were keen. It says something when Ajax are interested in one of your attacking players, they have to be technically gifted. This guy hasn’t had it easy, being asked to do a more defensive role under Mourinho. He has a bit more attacking freedom in Nunos system and he’s looked threatening in pre season. He could kick in from here, certainly wouldn’t be looking to get rid….

Article was from 1st August, we already knew they were keen. It says something when Ajax are interested in one of your attacking players, they have to be technically gifted. This guy hasn’t had it easy, being asked to do a more defensive role under Mourinho. He has a bit more attacking freedom in Nunos system and he’s looked threatening in pre season. He could kick in from here, certainly wouldn’t be looking to get rid….

They want him, they need to sell to buy.

I suspect if we found a RW option (Gil getting #11 says something to me), we might see it as a trade worth doing.

Lucky that the missed chance didn't come back to haunt him/us

He needs to get his mojo back in front goal, if he does that, he will be quite a player for us.

Hopefully the year of being a workhorse/defender vs. attacker doesn't screw him up for too long.

All talk from the club seems he is killing it in training.

He needs to get his mojo back in front goal, if he does that, he will be quite a player for us.

Hopefully the year of being a workhorse/defender vs. attacker doesn't screw him up for too long.

All talk from the club seems he is killing it in training.
Great athlete ………………….

Still don't see any standout qualities in Bergwijn, but would love to be proven wrong.

Bit of an odd statement

- Huge gap in his composure/finishing right now (but we have seen him score good goals previously)

You add finishing/goals to his game and he's an amazing player

He has pace, he takes on his man, good on the transition, work rate and application.

As I said to start, without the finishing part, it minimizes his effectiveness (see Traore for perfect example), but to say he has no standout qualities is a bit OTT

Bit of an odd statement

- Huge gap in his composure/finishing right now (but we have seen him score good goals previously)

He has pace, he takes on his man, good on the transition, work rate and application.

As I said to start, without the finishing part, it minimizes his effectiveness (see Traore for perfect example), but to say he has no standout qualities is a bit OTT

Personally I don’t think he’s super quick, and he isn’t great at beating his man. (Compare him to Moura for example, or indeed Traore).

Fair enough re his work rate - agree that stands out.

Personally I don’t think he’s super quick, and he isn’t great at beating his man. (Compare him to Moura for example, or indeed Traore).

quick enough, went through City pretty often yesterday

He has a good burst of acceleration that takes away from ppl. Like you say he's not the best dribbler but he's not awful, he's also quite strong. If he can get his shooting boots on then maybe he can be a very valuable option long term.

Thought he did pretty well yesterday but he's got to take his chances and be more clinical. He missed big chances in big games last season and missed a great chance yesterday. If he can't improve that aspect of his game, he'll soon be out of the side.

Bit of an odd statement

Also in combination play, quicker passes, which is good because that isn't a strong point for Son or Moura.

Think he will be able do get decent numbers for both goals and assists if he finds firm, has a lot about him imo. If he becomes top class, automatic starter for a CL club only time will tell.

Can play either side too, fairly two footed.

Not too bothered by the miss yesterday. Partly because we won. Partly because it wasn't THAT easy a chance, everyone misses those at time. Partly also that I liked both his decision to let it run to his left and his choice of finish, just got the execution ever so slightly wrong, that happens to the best of them.
Pace, tenacity, work rate, diligence in playing for the team, movement, ability to find space.

Lacks composure, and I thought the front three got in each other way a little yesterday.
Once they are more familiar of the system i"m that will change.

Me either, people are making those 'he runs around a lot' arguments for him. This is insufficient justification to hold a place in the starting11.

did you watch the game yesterday?

Bergwijn and Lucas (players people love to brick on, not good enough, etc.) tore City apart on the transition over and over and over (and Pep and a £900M squad couldn't adjust)

Would I play him every week? = not sure, but clearly he can justify his place if we are countering on transitions.

Back