• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stand Up Comedians

The Chapelle Show is one the funniest things I have ever watched. For example cruising around with a homicidal Wayne Brady. Cracking stuff.

I heard he had a breakdown on stage not long back. Not so much a breakdown, as being hacked off with the audience and standing not talking, just sighing very audibly for 45 minutes.

The Chappelle show is amazing, Clayton Bigsby is a character of genius

[video=youtube;rQtysS7fB4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtysS7fB4k[/video]

Stewert Lee is one of those things, if you have to ask you'll probably never know.

It's true that if I put on a stewert lee dvd with certain mates it'd be silence apart from me who'd be having a great time. It'd probably be the opposite if some brick like live at the apollo with michael mcintyre/jack whitehall/generally any of the comedians that do that kind of thing I'd probably be in silence not knowing when to laugh.

Stewart Lee is a bit deluded and jealous. Michael Mcintyre makes lots of people laugh, because he says funny things - the job of a comedian. Lee makes not very many people laugh, because he isn't very funny. He thinks people dont get him and not clever enough to understand, well any of the youtube clips I have seen are easy to understand but just quite dull. I mean I watched one where he went on about Richard Hammond "not even a real hamster" - wtf I could tell brick jokes like that. He just reminds me of a mate telling mildly amusing stories. Its a lot harder to write jokes that millions will like rather than hundreds.

I heard he had a breakdown on stage not long back. Not so much a breakdown, as being hacked off with the audience and standing not talking, just sighing very audibly for 45 minutes.

The Chappelle show is amazing, Clayton Bigsby is a character of genius

[video=youtube;rQtysS7fB4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtysS7fB4k[/video]

One of the greatest bits of television comedy ever...just brilliant on so many levels...and yes, he decided to go 'silent' for a while simply because he got tired of people missing the point (and biting sarcasm) of characters such as, well, Clayton Bigsby! He keeps a lo-profile these days, but likes to pop up unannounced at comedy clubs...

Stewart Lee is a bit deluded and jealous. Michael Mcintyre makes lots of people laugh, because he says funny things - the job of a comedian. Lee makes not very many people laugh, because he isn't very funny. He thinks people dont get him and not clever enough to understand, well any of the youtube clips I have seen are easy to understand but just quite dull. I mean I watched one where he went on about Richard Hammond "not even a real hamster" - wtf I could tell brick jokes like that. He just reminds me of a mate telling mildly amusing stories. Its a lot harder to write jokes that millions will like rather than hundreds.

OK with all that but...err...which comedians crack you up?

Let us not forget Jim Breuer!!!!!!
I mean, we'll not even discuss the genius of Carlin, Pryor, etc, right?

I enjoy a lot of the comedians who have been mentioned. I'll add Bill Bailey & Rich Hall as comedians that I really enjoy.

I saw a live Rich Hall gig last year, I think it was or tail end of the year before, and he was fantastic! :D

If it is folks like Michael Mcintyre that tick your box than I'm happy for you, I really am.

I'd say that if you're method of judging new comedians is entirely by 5 minute youtube clips then that's a shame because with that amount of time I'd say it's only really going to be a certain type of comedian you'll end up liking.

In my opinion with a comedian like Stewert Lee it's about the whole show, as opposed to a Michael Mcintyre show which to me seems like it's often an hour of 2 minute interchangeable sections, here's a thought about washing up, now here's a thought about women, aren't they funny?!?!?! Here's a story about cats! It's not that I need a winding narrative taking me through the process, it's more just the content with the Michael Mcintyre, for instance I do find Jimmy Carr quite funny (when he's not hosting tedious quiz shows).

"I mean I watched one where he went on about Richard Hammond "not even a real hamster" - wtf I could tell brick jokes like that"

Go on then. As long as your ok with the touring you seem pretty confident so I genuinely reckon you should go for it.

"Its a lot harder to write jokes that millions will like rather than hundreds."

That leads to an argument that does interest me, what makes you think that? I'd say entertainment wise the masses are generally the ones that are the easier to feed the textbook brick to. Take music programs as a comparison, how many people watched X Factor compared to how many people that watched Live at Abbey Road? Is the X Factor more of an achievement because more people have watched it?

Sabotage times:

"I think the problem Stewart Lee faces is that he's too good at what he does. To appeal to the lowest form of funny and therefore appeal to the average person these day's seems like a positive thing for a Stand Up to have on their CV, which can only be a bad thing for the comedy scene. All these popular comedians who sell out stadiums and have massive tours and sell thousands of DVD's are just lowering the standard of comedy and turning it into just another cash cow."

Last edited:

Whatever Lee may be he's not jealous. He and Richard Herring had huge stadium tours in the 90s when no one else was doing it.
He pretty much got bored with gags and is just toying with the stand up format.
He's trying to use stand up to express himself in some type of arty way, which is brick if you just want to laugh for an hour in the same way Dylan or something similar is brick if you wanna dance in a nightclub for an hour, but is good if you wanna think for an hour and are entertained by that.

Last year, for me, was Micky Flanagan the Out Out tour! Had me in tears for most of it. Dunno if hes got anything out this yr tho?
I do like Frankie Boyle but often found if you had seen Mock the Week then you've seen half his stand up act. Same goes for Russel Howard really, altho Ive gone right off him since his "Good news" show. Misses loves it but I just find him annoying now.

Got a Lee Mack DVD for xmas last yr, still in its celefane... Thats what I think of him.

Not a fan of Gervais or his pals.

Not a fan of that fat taco from Bolton either.

So yeah dunno who to get this year really?

Last year, for me, was Micky Flanagan the Out Out tour! Had me in tears for most of it. Dunno if hes got anything out this yr tho?
I do like Frankie Boyle but often found if you had seen Mock the Week then you've seen half his stand up act. Same goes for Russel Howard really, altho Ive gone right off him since his "Good news" show. Misses loves it but I just find him annoying now.

Got a Lee Mack DVD for xmas last yr, still in its celefane... Thats what I think of him.

Not a fan of Gervais or his pals.

Not a fan of that fat taco from Bolton either.

So yeah dunno who to get this year really?

Send it my way. I got his first DVD for £4 and it was colossal. Wasn't expecting it to be so good at all

Micky Flanagan is doing an arena tour in March 2013 he comes to Liverpool, not sure when or where it starts, but he's back on the road in the new year for definite

If it is folks like Michael Mcintyre that tick your box than I'm happy for you, I really am.

I'd say that if you're method of judging new comedians is entirely by 5 minute youtube clips then that's a shame because with that amount of time I'd say it's only really going to be a certain type of comedian you'll end up liking.

In my opinion with a comedian like Stewert Lee it's about the whole show, as opposed to a Michael Mcintyre show which to me seems like it's often an hour of 2 minute interchangeable sections, here's a thought about washing up, now here's a thought about women, aren't they funny?!?!?! Here's a story about cats! It's not that I need a winding narrative taking me through the process, it's more just the content with the Michael Mcintyre, for instance I do find Jimmy Carr quite funny (when he's not hosting tedious quiz shows).

"I mean I watched one where he went on about Richard Hammond "not even a real hamster" - wtf I could tell brick jokes like that"

Go on then. As long as your ok with the touring you seem pretty confident so I genuinely reckon you should go for it.

"Its a lot harder to write jokes that millions will like rather than hundreds."

That leads to an argument that does interest me, what makes you think that? I'd say entertainment wise the masses are generally the ones that are the easier to feed the textbook brick to. Take music programs as a comparison, how many people watched X Factor compared to how many people that watched Live at Abbey Road? Is the X Factor more of an achievement because more people have watched it?

The reason people like McIntrye do the jokes that they do, is because its funnier than slow dull boring slightly amusing stories. Who in their right mind would think "im quite a funny guy, I'm going to be a comedian, but actually I only want to appeal to 5% of the comedy loving market". I have seen more of Lee than you are implying, but based on this thread I went and watched a bit more and they were rarely very funny or clever.

What part of "I wish Richard Hammond had died, hes not even a real hamster" is clever or takes any more understanding than what the other guys do. Lee does find the amusing topics and observations, but then just treats his audience as stupid and slowly takes any fun away from the joke by over explaining it. I watched his Chris Moyles book joke on youtube, that could be a really funny clip... but he just slowly bored any fun out of it as it was too obvious where he was going with it. Its possible to be brilliantly funny with his style, and if he was he would sell out massive stadiums.

And my point about "I could write brick jokes like that" was not that I could be a stand up comedian. I'm guessing that being a Lee fan you consider yourself very clever, so I take it you know that my point wasn't that I could be one, but rather I couldn't be one and thats the sort of reason why... because I'd say things like "oh that Richard 'the hamster' Hammond... hes not even a real hamster".

Sabotage times:

"I think the problem Stewart Lee faces is that he's too good at what he does. To appeal to the lowest form of funny and therefore appeal to the average person these day's seems like a positive thing for a Stand Up to have on their CV, which can only be a bad thing for the comedy scene. All these popular comedians who sell out stadiums and have massive tours and sell thousands of DVD's are just lowering the standard of comedy and turning it into just another cash cow."

I understand Lee. I get his jokes. He just isn't very funny.

What makes me like him even less is that he genuinely believes the reason he doesnt have the popularity of other acts is for <insert every retarded excuse here>. Has he never just considered he doesn't make many people laugh because he isn't that funny. The sort of people he says like him should be more able to buy tickets to comedy shows and is a large market.

Its absolutely fine for him to be your favourite comedian. Everyone has different tastes. But lets not pretend the reason he isn't everyone elses is because they are too dumb to understand or that he is "too good".

And its worth noting that a lot of the current mainstream comedians have gone to these smaller events that Lee does on their way up and absolutely stole the show. While Lee sits there all jealous that he hasn't been able to do the same.

Last edited:
Who in their right mind would think "im quite a funny guy, I'm going to be a comedian, but actually I only want to appeal to 5% of the comedy loving market".

I'm quite a big fan of Stewart Lee, and used to think he was total brick until properly watching it, so I can answer that!

According to interviews etc. after being so well known to millions etc. in the 90s (when Lee and Herring were pretty much household names) and then the global phenomenon of Jerry Springer the Opera and it subsequently getting closed down due to Christian complaints + the hassle etc., he said that he wanted to only do work where he had full control and where he could explore the art / structure of stand-up. He even said he'd worked out if he did this and a few thousands people gave him £10-£20 per year he'd be happier than being popular for the sake of it.

So, you could compare it to a musician, who decides to stick to their roots / passion rather than just doing stuff to be popular - in any other art form this is considered quite noble.

I've watched most of Lee's stuff while there is some unfunny stuff (mainly due to using the same "jokes", i.e. "You get the shows you deserve") 90% of it is hilarious IMO if you 100% truly "get" it. Most accessible / funny is probably the Comedy Vehicle series and 90s comedian stand-up show.

Not everything is to be taken at face value though, i..e often he deliberately says something unfunny but making it sound serious just to be ironically funny. For example I always thought the line "He's not a real hamster" was deliberately brick to make dullards go "that's not funny" and also to highlight how stupid it is a grown man has the nickname "Hamster. A lot of this type of humour seems to stem from what was popular in playgrounds during the 90s.

However, I'm firm believe that people should just watch what they like and if you do/don't enjoy something is totally personal.

Back