• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

There aren't many teams that play with big forwards anymore - Chelsea, Everton, Villa, West Ham and a few others. And they are the games we have Fazio on the payroll for.

Tbf one of Chiriches' biggest issues is the fact he can hardly win a ball in the air in this league. This aspect is vital and puts us under constant pressure when he plays. Maybe Moreno is more capable but in English football this is a necessity - heck Dier and Vets struggle against some opponents

There aren't many teams that play with big forwards anymore - Chelsea, Everton, Villa, West Ham and a few others. And they are the games we have Fazio on the payroll for.

Arsenal - Giroud (6'4")
Aston Villa - Benteke (6.3"), Kozak (6'4")
Burnley - Vokes (6'1"),
Chelsea - Costa (6'2"), Drogba (6'2")
Crystal Palace - Sanogo (6'4"), Chamakh (6'1")
Everton - Lukaku (6'4")
Hull - Hernandez (6'1"), Jelavic (6'2")
Leicester - Ulloa (6'3"),
Liverpool - Balotelli (6'3"), Lambert (6'2")
Emirates Marketing Project - Dzeko (6'4"), Bony (6'1")
Saudi Sportswashing Machine - Ameobi (6'5")
QPR - Austin (6'2"), Zamora (6')
Southampton - Pelle (6'4"),
Stoke - Crouch (6'7"), Arnautovic (6'4"), Diouff (6'1"),
Sunderland - Fletcher (6'1"), Wickham (6'3"), Graham (6'1")
Swansea - Gomis (6'1")
West Brom - Anichebe (6'3"),
West Ham - Carroll (6'4"), Sakho (6'1"),

You also peddled this myth as fact during the January transfer thread and I called you out on it then as well.

And the above is just the oppositions possible centre forwards, before we consider their two big centre halves also coming up for corners and set pieces.

It was bad enough watching Chiriches get bullied by 5'11" Saido Berahino at WHL earlier this season. I dread to think how he'd fair against some of those listed above!

I think this is partly natural from our high pressing system. Replace Bentaleb with a top class dedicated defensive midfielder and you would still have that happen a fair bit. Shifting the blame from the defenders to the defensive midfielder(s) is not enough imo. I also think what you describe happens to some extent to all teams. Even Chelsea get players running at their central defenders once in a while. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to make it happen less, I just don't think it's nearly as much of a problem as you seem to think.

Well Stop! Hammer time so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Arsenal - Giroud (6'4")
Burnley - Vokes (6'1"),
Everton - Lukaku (6'4")
Swansea - Gomis (6'1")

You also peddled this myth as fact during the January transfer thread and I called you out on it then as well.

And the above is just the oppositions possible centre forwards, before we consider their two big centre halves also coming up for corners and set pieces.

It was bad enough watching Chiriches get bullied by 5'11" Saido Berahino at WHL earlier this season. I dread to think how he'd fair against some of those listed above!

There's a difference between height and being a 'big man'. I'd happily leave Rose to mark Crouch or Giroud for all the aerial ability they have, whereas Zamora is the shortest on that list but one of the most effective in the air

There's a difference between height and being a 'big man'. I'd happily leave Rose to mark Crouch or Giroud for all the aerial ability they have, whereas Zamora is the shortest on that list but one of the most effective in the air

In which case you have even less knowledge about football than I gave you credit for!

In which case you have even less knowledge about football than I gave you credit for!

Peter "joint most headed goals in the premier league era" Crouch? That Peter Crouch?

Dear me....

To be fair to gutter boy he 3MP has only just overtaken Cahill for headed goals and Cahill wasn't a striker and was only 5,10"

Similarly the best player in the air I remember as a kid was Ferdinand. He just seemed to hang in the air

And I wouldn't have rose marking crouch or Giroud as technically there both very good and he has that rashness still to give away a pen despite being excellent for most if the season

Grey Fox via SC

Been told that Poch Mitchell and co are only interested in those under 27 unless a VDV esque becomes avaiable. They want to continue the high intensity game and unless someone very special becomes available they will go with youth.
Negotiations have begun with a couple already but my source expects us to keep most of our gunpowder dry until we know what competition we are in next season.
Looks like Pritchard will come back to the fold, but likely we will sell Carol. A lot of Italian interest in 2 of our players source unsure of who.
Players and coaches really believe we can get 4th and see it between us and Liverpool

Grey Fox via SC

Been told that Poch Mitchell and co are only interested in those under 27 unless a VDV esque becomes avaiable. They want to continue the high intensity game and unless someone very special becomes available they will go with youth.
Negotiations have begun with a couple already but my source expects us to keep most of our gunpowder dry until we know what competition we are in next season.
Looks like Pritchard will come back to the fold, but likely we will sell Carol. A lot of Italian interest in 2 of our players source unsure of who.
Players and coaches really believe we can get 4th and see it between us and Liverpool

what??? fricken 3rd is up for grabs....aim high chaps!!!!!!

Arsenal - Giroud (6'4")
Burnley - Vokes (6'1"),
Everton - Lukaku (6'4")
Swansea - Gomis (6'1")

Not that I disagree with your point, but the point must be made that many on that list aren't first choice. However, it is clear most clubs have a 'big man' as an option. It's not just the ball in the air from hooked clearances, crosses and set pieces that you have to deal with in this league, it's the physicality too, where powerful and aggressive centre-backs and forwards are allowed to get away with a lot more in the way of shoulder-barges, tugs and lunges than they would get away with in Spain or Italy.

By example, I think this is stil the part that Lamela is struggling to get his head around in this league. In Serie A he's pull one of his tricks, get pulled back or barged and get a free-kick. Here the ref waves play on unless its an absolutely blatant foul. The trick here is to unload early and anticipate the foul and position your body so you're either protecting the ball or you will be blatantly fouled and get the free-kick.

It's not just the centre-forwards too. There's plenty of big, physical midfielders to contend with.

Just gone though our list of players and put them in three lists, those that we want to stay, those that we will actively look to move on and those we will listen to offers for.

Those that are staying(Plus empty squad places)
GK Lloris
GK Vorm
Gk

RB Walker
RB Yedlin

CB Vertonghen
CB Fazio
CB Dier
CB
(Will probably have a 5th choice at the club u21 either carter-vickers or Veljković)

LB Rose
LB Davies

CM Bentaleb
CM Mason
CM Ali
CM
CM
(Can see one of those spots at least taken by Stambouli/Capoue)

Rather than list wingers and AM just done 1 list for the 3 positions)
AM Eriksen
AM Chadli
AM Townsend
AM Dembele
AM Pritchard
AM

CF Kane
CF
CF

Listen to Offer:
Chiriches
Paulinho
Lamela
Capoue
Stambouli
(one of the above two to stay)
Carroll
Fredericks
Soldado

Actively Get Rid:
Kaboul
Adebayor
Lennon
Holtby

interesting list and agree much with it, however i think lamela and stambouli will stay.

it will be a big summer clearout, and i think this is where we can judge baldini for his worth.

Townsend is obviously on the listen to offers list as that's exactly what's been happening for the last few windows

Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches and Paulinho are on the actively get rid list i would believe also

I can see us selling one of Lamela or Townsend.

Or both .. we have been actively looking wide attacking players (based on rumour mill)

A RW purchase of established player +Pritchard might be the end for both Lamela/Townsend if we can get decent offers.

I think the club would sell both if there were buyers and we could get Depay in, then promote Pritchard as understudy. If both players combined covered the cost of Depay that might be a good option actually

I can see us selling one of Lamela or Townsend.

I like having both - two very exciting talents that we can interchange (as due to their age they will be inherently inconsistent).

I'd like to see us maybe get a LWF to understudy Chadli

I think Townsends situation may be different from other windows, he has clearly gained the trust of the coach, may be he can develop mentally and become the player he has the potential to be. I think Poch would want to keep him considering his recent run in the side.

Back