• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

Out:
Paulinho
Chirches
Soldado
Capoue
Adebayor
Carroll
Townsend
Holtby
Lennon
Kaboul
Lamela if possible

Not sure how much that would bring in but it sure would shift a hell of a lot of wages off the bill. Incoming I would be looking at using players as makeweights in order to bring the cost down and would work the bosman market too.

In:
Mirallas p/ex Lennon - 1 year left on contract
Schneiderlin p/ex Townsend
Ings - Free, tribunal to set fee
Vlaar - free
Ayew - free
Benteke
Milner - free

Promote Pritchard, Fredericks, Archer and Veljkovic into the first team squad.

Last edited:
a) A trend that a far as I know is based on fees speculated on by the press. Ignorant of exact details and the probably rather complex clauses included in most big deals for players. Also ignoring completely agent fees and money spent on sign-on fees for existing players. Sure.

b) We've just about broken even this season haven't we? I think we were smart last summer and we've given the squad the chance to show what they can do under Pochettino.

c) Sure. There's a chance that will happen, if so I will say fair enough. But, I wouldn't equate that with telling the head coach to fudge off.

a) Agent fees and money spent on signing-on fees have to be paid by other clubs too, you know. Yet we're still the second lowest spenders with a net profit of 12-15 million. As for the 'can't trust the press!' angle, heard it before, remain unconvinced.

b) Again, AVB wasn't exactly magnanimous about the decision-making priorities at the club when it came to transfers. While we may well have 'given the squad a chance to show what they can do', I don't think the side-effect of that policy (yay, no money need be spent this year) is as distant a concern in Levy's mind as you evidently do.

c) I don't have the stomach to search around for Wenger's quotations on the period between 2006-2011, but I can't imagine he was thrilled to see his top stars sold and replaced with the likes of Frimpong and Bendtner: I'd consider it amazing if he wasn't told to fudge off (in more polite terms, of course) by the board at some point during that period when he asked for a big transfer in a la Sanchez or Ozil. And that's Wenger, a legend at his club: I doubt Levy will be too awestruck by Poch given the number of managers he's tossed out like discard rags once they'd achieved the primary objective of taking flak that should have gone to him instead. :) I appreciate your honesty about holding your hands up if it comes to pass: if Levy puts up the cash this summer (net spend, if you don't mind) I'll happily hold my hands up as well. :p

I don't agree with that.

Arsenal and Man U are very much on the wane

City have run out of momentum and Chelsea are staying about consistent.

Only Liverpool are moving forward with any momentum, and they are just us two years further on.

Despite Southampton's valiant effort, the big gaps are between the top 2 and the rest, and between 3rd-6th and the rest.

What? Run that by me again, mate: United are on the wane, as are Arsenal? The same United who blew 150 million and will do the same this summer? The same Arsenal who won a cup last season and spent big this summer, and look likely to hit that top four spot yet again?

And Liverpool aren't two years further on than us, they're ahead of us because they spent a lot of money on the players their manager wanted. As for City and Chelsea...we're never catching up to them, regardless of what momentum either of them might have lost.

The top five or so teams are pulling away from the rest of us, mate: I don't see what's so contentious about that statement. We are now in the same class as Everton and Southampton - a weeish team who can really light it up when they make a 'valiant effort'. That's reality, and it will continue to be reality until that eternally delayed stadium is finally up,earning and fully paid for. Assuming of course, that the top five don't all increase their own matchday revenues in that time as well (which, with City, Chelsea and Liverpool all on the hunt for new grounds/expanded stadiums, seems depressingly likely).

Reid is gone as an option then after signing his deal at wet spam

Maybe Gutter Boys lead is the one for a defensive upgrade

Reid is gone as an option then after signing his deal at wet spam

Maybe Gutter Boys lead is the one for a defensive upgrade

I'd still prefer Moreno myself.

He only has 12 months on his contract too.

I'm delighted about Reid though - I'm not a fan

Sell: Kaboul, Chricihes, Paulinho, Townsend, Ade, Soldado, Capoue, Holtby, Lennon, Carroll
Promote: Pritchard, Yedlin, Alli
Buy - CB, CM, Winger, Striker

Team 1
------------------Lloris
Walker--NEW CB--Jan--Davies
-----------NEW CM--Bentaleb
NEW WINGER----Eriksen--Chadli
------------------Kane

Team 1
------------------Vorm
Yedlin----Dier-----Fazio----Rose
----------Mason--Stambouli
Dembele-----Pritchard----Lamela
----------------NEW STRIKER

Alli as additional squad player.

The winger should be someone who can play up front as a 3rd choice striker too - rodriguez, mirallas etc

I think the 4 signings are absolutely crucial. We need absolute quality in all 4 really, but the striker can't be a world superstar as we need to keep developing Kane for that. Do all those deals and we'll have a squad to challenge on all fronts again, but better!! Plus the growth of the system, team play and the young players. Could be great. But we need more quality and experience among it. That central midfield is our weakest area I feel, get someone as close to world class as possible!!

Sell : Capoue , Paulinho , Soldado , Chiriches , Ade , Holtby , Carrol

Buy : Depay , Schneiderlein , Berahino/Ings

Amazing how many in this thread seem so desperate to relegate Mason to an understudy position with a new (foreign) CM coming in. I see no reason to change the Bentaleb/Mason midfield combination at all. Mason fights like a lion every game.

The areas I think we need to look at in terms of incomings are someone upfront to support Kane better than Ade and Soldado can and fleshing out the squad in terms of options so that we have more players for each position that are suited to our style of play.

But remember we have Alli, Carroll, Pritchard, Veljkovic and Fredericks coming back from by-all-accounts successful loan spells. Coulhirst has been talked about as a great prospect upfront in the past but things seem to have gone a bit quiet for him, similar to Kane's development really. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with Poch now he is back as he was in and around the fringes of the first team under AVB in the Europa league.

Already gone: Holtby
Definate Get rid: Kaboul, Paulinho, Capoue, Adebayor, Soldado, Lennon (permanently)
Possible Get Rid if better options available: Dembele, Stambouli, Chiriches
Controversial: I'd be half tempted to get rid of Vertonghen as we'd get a massive fee for him and he just doesn't have the leadership skills of organising the defence that I feel is needed to play alongside and develop the likes of Dier, Veljkovic, Ball etc?

Sell : Capoue , Paulinho , Soldado , Chiriches , Ade , Holtby , Carrol

Buy : Depay , Schneiderlein , Berahino/Ings

I'd forget about buying Depay and Schneiderlin. They will be priced well out of our range. I think Schneiderlin will end up at the Goons personally. Depay is going to a Champions League club this summer for a massive fee. But yeah, I think at least one out of Ings, Berahino and Austin would be good. I'd also like to take a look at Bolasie at Palace.

Amazing how many in this thread seem so desperate to relegate Mason to an understudy position with a new (foreign) CM coming in. I see no reason to change the Bentaleb/Mason midfield combination at all. Mason fights like a lion every game.

Totally agree.

I don't think there's much between Mason and Schneiderlin at this point in time, and Mason is 2 years younger.

I'd maybe buy an understudy for Mason, like Stambouli is to Bentaleb. But with Alli, Winks or even Carroll, we might be able to promote one of them instead.

The future is Masaleb

The areas I think we need to look at in terms of incomings are someone upfront to support Kane better than Ade and Soldado can and fleshing out the squad in terms of options so that we have more players for each position that are suited to our style of play.

But remember we have Alli, Carroll, Pritchard, Veljkovic and Fredericks coming back from by-all-accounts successful loan spells. Coulhirst has been talked about as a great prospect upfront in the past but things seem to have gone a bit quiet for him, similar to Kane's development really. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with Poch now he is back as he was in and around the fringes of the first team under AVB in the Europa league.

Already gone: Holtby
Definate Get rid: Kaboul, Paulinho, Capoue, Adebayor, Soldado, Lennon (permanently)
Possible Get Rid if better options available: Dembele, Stambouli, Chiriches
Controversial: I'd be half tempted to get rid of Vertonghen as we'd get a massive fee for him and he just doesn't have the leadership skills of organising the defence that I feel is needed to play alongside and develop the likes of Dier, Veljkovic, Ball etc?

Not sure about relegating Mason to an understudy position. But we certainly need more cover and/or competition for places. The drop down in quality from Mason to Paulinho (usually Mason's replacement) is just unacceptable.

So looking for a new signing do we look for a new player to come in as an understudy. Or do we try to bring in someone better than what we already have and make Mason fight for his place in the team? I think the second makes more sense. For Bentaleb I think it's a bit different as Stambouli has shown himself to be much better cover for that role and Bentaleb, for me at least, looks so good that I can't really see us signing a better player. I suppose the exception would be if Carroll is brought back to provide cover and competition for Bentaleb, in that case I think he would be seen as the understudy initially at least.

It's also the case that Mason is capable of playing multiple roles. He can be pushed forward if a new signing cements a place in the deeper role alongside Bentaleb.

Not sure about relegating Mason to an understudy position. But we certainly need more cover and/or competition for places. The drop down in quality from Mason to Paulinho (usually Mason's replacement) is just unacceptable.

So looking for a new signing do we look for a new player to come in as an understudy. Or do we try to bring in someone better than what we already have and make Mason fight for his place in the team? I think the second makes more sense. For Bentaleb I think it's a bit different as Stambouli has shown himself to be much better cover for that role and Bentaleb, for me at least, looks so good that I can't really see us signing a better player. I suppose the exception would be if Carroll is brought back to provide cover and competition for Bentaleb, in that case I think he would be seen as the understudy initially at least.

It's also the case that Mason is capable of playing multiple roles. He can be pushed forward if a new signing cements a place in the deeper role alongside Bentaleb.

I'd say the place is Mason's to lose, not for a new signing to just waltz in and suddenly Mason has to fight for his place. I agree we need depth and competition, it's just that most people had Mason relegated to the bench. I'd rather have Mason in who will give an extra 20% for the shirt, than someone that is slightly better, but not as interested or greatful to be playing for Spurs.

This .. to me

GK - sorted, Hugo #1, Vorm #2, youth #3
FB - possibly sorted, Walker/Yedlin/Rose/Davies - one question mark on Yedlin, Poch should know enough by summer having worked with him
Midfield - Mason/Bentaleb/Chadli/Eriksen - We need a RW goal scorer, a creative option to work with/instead of Eriksen, and a upgraded DM
Forward - quick striker (one option Kane doesn't give us)

To me, our choices will either be bring in one of our Academy/youth for more understudy option, or look to buy someone better than what we have.

This .. to me

GK - sorted, Hugo #1, Vorm #2, youth #3
FB - possibly sorted, Walker/Yedlin/Rose/Davies - one question mark on Yedlin, Poch should know enough by summer having worked with him
Midfield - Mason/Bentaleb/Chadli/Eriksen - We need a RW goal scorer, a creative option to work with/instead of Eriksen, and a upgraded DM
Forward - quick striker (one option Kane doesn't give us)

To me, our choices will either be bring in one of our Academy/youth for more understudy option, or look to buy someone better than what we have.

Wow. IMO Bentaleb is the brightest talent we have. The only time we'll need to look at an upgraded DM is when Madrid make him the first £100m player.

Back