• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad for 2015-16 season

Wow. IMO Bentaleb is the brightest talent we have. The only time we'll need to look at an upgraded DM is when Madrid make him the first £100m player.

I don't view Bentaleb as a "pure DM", so don't read it that way. I think Bentaleb has a bit more to his game, but it also means he's less defensive than a pure DM could be.

To me - upgraded DM = upgrade on Capoue/Stambouli

We need one for closing games out, for tougher matches (we concede more goals than anyone else in top 10 I believe)

I don't view Bentaleb as a "pure DM", so don't read it that way. I think Bentaleb has a bit more to his game, but it also means he's less defensive than a pure DM could be.

We need one for closing games out, for tougher matches (we concede more goals than anyone else in top 10 I believe)

Ok.

I'm not sure that type of DM exists in the modern game so much anymore. Look at how all of Capoue, Dembele and Sandro have all struggled in that role in the last 2 years because they are too one-dimensional/not mobile enough.

I see Stambouli as more of an allrounder - a poor man's Bentaleb (not a bad thing to be). He's solid defensively, but can also play the ball quickly and smartly.

If I could pick our 4th CM (to go with NB, RM and BS), I'd go for someone more similar to Mason. Schneiderlin is probably the big name, but I'm of the mind now that I'd back Mason as #1 and let one of Alli, Winks or Carroll replace Paulinho as his understudy.

Ok.

I'm not sure that type of DM exists in the modern game so much anymore. Look at how all of Capoue, Dembele and Sandro have all struggled in that role in the last 2 years because they are too one-dimensional/not mobile enough.

I see Stambouli as more of an allrounder - a poor man's Bentaleb (not a bad thing to be). He's solid defensively, but can also play the ball quickly and smartly.

If I could pick our 4th CM (to go with NB, RM and BS), I'd go for someone more similar to Mason. Schneiderlin is probably the big name, but I'm of the mind now that I'd back Mason as #1 and let one of Alli, Winks or Carroll replace Paulinho as his understudy.

I think a fit non injury prone Sandro would have had a big part is this team.

but they are a rare breed ..

We need more pace in the team, particularly in attacking areas. Somebody like Sadio Mane at Soton would have taken us up a notch attacking-wise imo and been a great replacement for Lennon as the wide player that had pace to burn and so exploited spaces in behind, especially when we are ahead.

A player like Depay would be ideal; though personally I think Depay will have far bigger suitors than us sadly

We need more pace in the team, particularly in attacking areas. Somebody like Sadio Mane at Soton would have taken us up a notch attacking-wise imo and been a great replacement for Lennon as the wide player that had pace to burn and so exploited spaces in behind, especially when we are ahead.

A player like Depay would be ideal; though personally I think Depay will have far bigger suitors than us sadly

Agree, pace wide and/or alongside Kane would be a useful weapon

I would go along with this as well, we have been slagging our defensive play off all season but one of the reasons we look poor at the back is we lack a player who will protect the CB's better. Neither Bentaleb or Mason are good at this and the only one who looks like he could is Stambouli, now we either have to give him more playing time ( only 9games in the Prem so far) or bring someone in during the summer.

Last edited:
I would go along with this as well, we have been slagging our defensive off all season but one of the reasons we look poor at the back is we lack a player who will protect the CB's better. Neither Bentaleb or Mason are good at this and the only one who looks like he could is Stambouli, now we either have to give him more playing time ( only 9games in the Prem so far) or bring someone in during the summer.

But then again whenever we play with a DM we have struggled as traditionally a DM destroys and lays it off short but Poch's tactics are all about the quick switch and high press. Don't think you can effectively high press when one of your midfielders is swanning about with your centre-backs "screening" the back four. Yes, the high press can occasionally leave us exposed but then the DM tactic of AVB can also often lead to us struggling to create.

I'm of the dare is to do school and feel Masaleb offer the perfect combo of grit, tackling and quick forward passing for Poch's tactics to work.

But then again whenever we play with a DM we have struggled as traditionally a DM destroys and lays it off short but Poch's tactics are all about the quick switch and high press. Don't think you can effectively high press when one of your midfielders is swanning about with your centre-backs "screening" the back four. Yes, the high press can occasionally leave us exposed but then the DM tactic of AVB can also often lead to us struggling to create.

I'm of the dare is to do school and feel Masaleb offer the perfect combo of grit, tackling and quick forward passing for Poch's tactics to work.

I am saying we need a player who will protect the CB's better, track runners better and close down the space better in front of the back four. I am not asking for a player to "swan about" on the CB's toes, we are wide open through the middle and the number of times we slag our FB's off for having to come inside to cover ( which results in them leaving space behind them).

We need a player who can see danger and then re-act to it, as much as Bentaleb and Mason are playing well neither one of them are at their best when doing that.

Fair points re the comparison between AVB and MoPo but it's about getting the balance right in terms of defensive solidity. Ultimately if we are to progress further up the table and overachieve we will HAVE to get that balance right.
From what I remember of MoPo's time at Soton his defence was even better in the second season, so there is a lot of hope for us further down the line

I'd say the place is Mason's to lose, not for a new signing to just waltz in and suddenly Mason has to fight for his place. I agree we need depth and competition, it's just that most people had Mason relegated to the bench. I'd rather have Mason in who will give an extra 20% for the shirt, than someone that is slightly better, but not as interested or greatful to be playing for Spurs.

I think it's pretty clear that under Poch not giving that extra 20% is not accepted, regardless of who the player is.

I just think it's the wrong approach at this point to look for squad fillers/backups if we do sign players. We should look for upgrades or people that will at least provide competition for places. Something that I think is healthy regardless of who the player is.

Of course it's not as clear cut as either an upgrade on Mason or a squad filler type player. But unless one of the younger players is seen as ready I think we should look for an upgrade for Paulinho and we should look to sign the best player we can unless some talent for the future type player is preferred.

I am saying we need a player who will protect the CB's better, track runners better and close down the space better in front of the back four. I am not asking for a player to "swan about" on the CB's toes, we are wide open through the middle and the number of times we slag our FB's off for having to come inside to cover ( which results in them leaving space behind them).

We need a player who can see danger and then re-act to it, as much as Bentaleb and Mason are playing well neither one of them are at their best when doing that.

Any reason why Bentaleb can't continue to develop that side of his game? He's only 20 and in his first full season, in a fairly freshly composed team with loads of changes under our head coach in his first season.

Which games have we been "wide open through the middle" in? Genuine question, I really don't remember that being an issue in many games at all. And most of the (recent-ish) games against very good opponents Bentaleb has been one of the best midfielders on the pitch and we've been relatively solid through the middle by my memory.

Any reason why Bentaleb can't continue to develop that side of his game? He's only 20 and in his first full season, in a fairly freshly composed team with loads of changes under our head coach in his first season.

Which games have we been "wide open through the middle" in? Genuine question, I really don't remember that being an issue in many games at all. And most of the (recent-ish) games against very good opponents Bentaleb has been one of the best midfielders on the pitch and we've been relatively solid through the middle by my memory.

Bentaleb may turn out and develop his game to be able to do the job, but he has not yet and that should not stop us from addressing the problem now. I want to make it clear I am not knocking Bentaleb in any way but a lot of fans seem to blame the defense for the number of goals we concede when in all honesty the CM offers little protection, as from being wide open, from where I sit its heart in the mouth time seeing players run unchecked onto our back four and it happens far to often nad we have to deal with it.

Just to make it clear I am happy with the job Poch is doing and it is a work in progress, but I have said all season it will not happen overnight.

Bentaleb may turn out and develop his game to be able to do the job, but he has not yet and that should not stop us from addressing the problem now. I want to make it clear I am not knocking Bentaleb in any way but a lot of fans seem to blame the defense for the number of goals we concede when in all honesty the CM offers little protection, as from being wide open, from where I sit its heart in the mouth time seeing players run unchecked onto our back four and it happens far to often nad we have to deal with it.

Just to make it clear I am happy with the job Poch is doing and it is a work in progress, but I have said all season it will not happen overnight.

Well of course if players are running unchecked onto our back four that's a problem, I just don't see it happening all that often. I ask again, which games have we been wide open through the middle in?

I'd still prefer Moreno myself.

He only has 12 months on his contract too.

I'm delighted about Reid though - I'm not a fan

Only 6ft, not particularly imposing or powerful, good on the ball, impressed in foreign leagues...... sound familiar?

Only 6ft, not particularly imposing or powerful, good on the ball, impressed in foreign leagues...... sound familiar?

Ledley? Verts?

With Fazio and Dier we've got our two powerful CBs. We could probably do with a second cultured one to compliment Verts. I'd be happy to try promoting Veljkovic though

Well of course if players are running unchecked onto our back four that's a problem, I just don't see it happening all that often. I ask again, which games have we been wide open through the middle in?

And I will repeat what I have already said, from where I sit every game ( behind the goal ) there are numerous occasions when opposing runners are onto our back four far to easily, now some times that is good play from the opposing team but on far too many occasions its that our M/F are not tracking runners.

Ledley? Verts?

With Fazio and Dier we've got our two powerful CBs. We could probably do with a second cultured one to compliment Verts. I'd be happy to try promoting Veljkovic though

I am 6ft 1 and I have had to look up to both of them when I have met them. Both are not 'small' like Vlad for a centre half. As good as Moreono might be - there will be a big questions mark over any centre half in this league who isn't big or a beast in the air.

I am 6ft 1 and I have had to look up to both of them when I have met them. Both are not 'small' like Vlad for a centre half. As good as Moreono might be - there will be a big questions mark over any centre half in this league who isn't big or a beast in the air.

There aren't many teams that play with big forwards anymore - Chelsea, Everton, Villa, West Ham and a few others. And they are the games we have Fazio on the payroll for.

And I will repeat what I have already said, from where I sit every game ( behind the goal ) there are numerous occasions when opposing runners are onto our back four far to easily, now some times that is good play from the opposing team but on far too many occasions its that our M/F are not tracking runners.

I think this is partly natural from our high pressing system. Replace Bentaleb with a top class dedicated defensive midfielder and you would still have that happen a fair bit. Shifting the blame from the defenders to the defensive midfielder(s) is not enough imo. I also think what you describe happens to some extent to all teams. Even Chelsea get players running at their central defenders once in a while. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to make it happen less, I just don't think it's nearly as much of a problem as you seem to think.

I dont our defensive problem if there is one, is with us through the middle, it tends to be from wide areas and is more to do with the inverted wingers not providing cover or balls being put over top of our full-backs as they press forward. I think its more of a structure issue myself, that and an inexperienced team knowing how to kill a game ala Swansea and QPR

Back