• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****Spurs v Burnley****

So that tells us 97% of goals don't come from corners, unless you have an exceptional header of the ball corner offer you a 50/50 chance of winning the ball let alone getting it on target. I still believe the ball to the near post is our best chance of scoring from corners but it's difficult to get it right, the height and pace of the cross must be perfect to match the run of the player while all the grabbing and pushing goes on.

Errr, no.

Someone somewhere must have done an analysis of the effectiveness of different types of corner, eg near post, back stick, Sheringham, short, whatever. Suppose it also depends on the type of players you have but it might give us a clue as to why WBA have scored roughly five times as many as us this season.

Great result, having to make changes because of the traveling and playing internationals was the right move by Poch, then to lose two players before H/T, add to that we rarely do well at the brickhole that is called Burnley, their home record this season is good ( two losses before yesterdays game).

So to come away with the three points was a sign that we are truely turning into a very good team. Dembélé changed the game when he came on, Eriksen ( once again) was the heartbeat of the team, Jannsen did well and both the Burnley CB's knew they had been in a game.

Talking to a couple of their fans after the game they said we are the best team that has played there this season. Now onto Swansea and if we show the same grit there it should be another 3 points.

As for the debate in here about corners its a lot of fuss about nothing, corners and free kicks seem to be focused on by some of our fans as a major weakness for us when in all reality they are pretty much the same as most teams efforts. However maybe we should employ Pullis and that way we will satisfy those who think we do not score enough. :)

Great result, having to make changes because of the traveling and playing internationals was the right move by Poch, then to lose two players before H/T, add to that we rarely do well at the brickhole that is called Burnley, their home record this season is good ( two losses before yesterdays game).

So to come away with the three points was a sign that we are truely turning into a very good team. Dembélé changed the game when he came on, Eriksen ( once again) was the heartbeat of the team, Jannsen did well and both the Burnley CB's knew they had been in a game.

Talking to a couple of their fans after the game they said we are the best team that has played there this season. Now onto Swansea and if we show the same grit there it should be another 3 points.

He did brilliantly tinkling them off!! Better performance from him yesterday.

Indeed, the kid is 22 and still adjusting to the English game and i really hope we give him the time because i still think there is a very good player in there.

He has a shot on him too. Somehow he needs to develop an arrogance and belief that all top strikers have. Then he'll start firing shots on instinct. In reality we have two excellent young forwards. To think Kane is 23, and Janssen a year younger. These two could be solid for us for years to come. Skillful but powerful. Poch is still looking for some pacy first team player who can run off them however. Son might mature into a good foil.

Last edited:
You have misinterpreted the stat. It said 3% of corners result in a goal and not that 3% of goals come from corners.

I have been unable to find the data of the number of corners there were in the Premier League yesterday but have used the data here

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_corners

to calculate that there have been on average 10.8 corners per game in the Premier League this season. There were eight Premier League games yesterday, which if they were in line with the average for the season, would give us a total of about 82.5 corners. If you are right that there were three goals coming from corners yesterday, 3 divided by 82.5 give you 0.036 which is 3.6% of corners yesterday resulted in a goal. Slightly above the Guardian figure that @90291Spur quoted but certainly close and within natural variation before we take some of my assumptions into account.

No, I get the point about statistical corners conversion. However, Larse had three corners today and scored from two of them!!!!!

Taking your average of 10.8 corners per game, that would mean we would have had say 5.4 x29 games = 156 corners this season. I suspect this is an under-estimate as we are one of the most attacking teams and therefore ipso facto are much more likely to be well above the average.

Nevertheless, taking the figure of 156 corners @3% conversion, means we should average have had 4.68 goals so far. In fact we have only scored 2. So we are batting well below the par. Three more goals could potentially be 6 more points thus leaving us only a point adrift of Chelscum. This is why it is so critical to improve these fine margins.

Edit. The article also states that over the last five seasons, the average goals from corners per game has only ranged from .32 to .38 per game. So in our 29 games so far, we should have seen between 9 and 11 goals. Let's say 10. Given that we are second and have attacked more than most, we should probably be more than the equal share of 5. But, even on this metric, we should have scored at least three more goals from corners so far this season. Just sayin...

Last edited:
No, I get the point about statistical corners conversion. However, Larse had three corners today and scored from two of them!!!!!

Taking your average of 10.8 corners per game, that would mean we would have had say 5.4 x29 games = 156 corners this season. I suspect this is an under-estimate as we are one of the most attacking teams and therefore ipso facto are much more likely to be well above the average.

Nevertheless, taking the figure of 156 corners @3% conversion, means we should average have had 4.68 goals so far. In fact we have only scored 2. So we are batting well below the par. Three more goals could potentially be 6 more points thus leaving us only a point adrift of Chelscum. This is why it is so critical to improve these fine margins.

You understand that there will always be variation within a range. It is a low return passage of play, a bit of luck on Wednesday night and you could see a 100% increase. It is a mistake to look at an average and say that being under it means that there is something wrong.

Even if you committed more to corners, you have no guarantees that it would result in more goals. It could even have the opposite affect, we could end up committing more men forward for set pieces, when most teams on the league are looking to sit deep and hit us on the break. All this for a low return passage of play.

I don't know why teams spend all this money on players and people watch the games, we could all just sit at home and let the statisticians tell us what the scores are and who wins what trophies.

I don't know why teams spend all this money on players and people watch the games, we could all just sit at home and let the statisticians tell us what the scores are and who wins what trophies.

The teams also spend a lot of money on statisticians.

It is amusing though that @Pirate55 criticised an article in the Guardian about fans having unrealistic expectations about the number of goals that come from corners by suggesting that the figure should be 620% higher than it actually is.

At the end of the day, a top defence will concede few goals from corners. Our defence has been very strong IMO. It would be nice to see a higher percentage of our set-pieces clear the first man and all that, but I will never be over-concerned about the corner/goals ratio. I understand the concern but feel as a team we have moved beyond worrying about this.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It is amusing though that @Pirate55 criticised an article in the Guardian about fans having unrealistic expectations about the number of goals that come from corners by suggesting that the figure should be 620% higher than it actually is.

How did you work that out? Or, as a Guardian acolyte, are you used to ingesting and purveying "fake news"

What percentage do you have to multiply 3.2% by to get 20%?

Where do you get 20 % from?

Btw, in steveawols post in the corner thread, the situation is even worse than portrayed here. We have apparently scored only three goals from 199 corners so far this season - i.e. A conversion rate of only 1.5%. Less than half the average!!!!

Back