• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs players trried to avoid England call-up - says Harry

If you take the two great post from GPRD81 (#91) and Dubaispurs tart summation (#95) you pretty much have life with Spurs in a nutshell.

To paragraph a great line from Drive By Truckers epic album Southern Rock Opera - "Such is the duality of the Tottenham thing."

And, no, it's not from the track entitled 'Dead Drunk And Naked'.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but still speaking of internationals...how many of our players will benefit from having more rest with no World Cup duty?

keepers - Friedel
right-backs - Naughton, Walker
left-backs - Rose, Fryers
centre-backs - Kaboul, Dawson, Chiriches
centre-mid - Sandro, Capoue
wide-players/attacking mids - Eriksen, Townsend, Lennon, Lamela, Holtby
strikers - Adebayor, Soldado, Kane

Maybe 6 or 7 first-teamers there. Hopefully it will help us make a quick start to the season.

Last edited:
That was the famous Burkinshaw quote wasn't it? That related to when we changed ownership and subsequently became a PLC.

As I understand it, it was not a Burkinshaw quote.

A journalist - it might have been Cliff Jones's brother Ken, said: "There used to be a football club over there," and Burkinshaw agreed.

The other journos could not attribute the quote to a rival so it became Burkinshaw's quote.

I wish I could remember which journo it was, but I do recall him laying claim to it in a printed article; I imagine he was a bit miffed that it got co-opted.

If Poch manages to get the team playing as less than the sum of its parts, has one par season and two below and then finally starts publicly offering himself up for the Argentina job, I'll have a huge problem with it. If he acts like a flappy-gobbed cvnt during that time even more so.

I'll also get very upset if he tries to buy every Willie Mckay player, Stuart Downing and Joe Cole.

I think that's incredibly unlikely though.

Talk to me about these "two below par seasons"

4th when we had a team that should have finished 3rd and 5th when we had a team that should have finished 4th.

I have thought that was quite obvious.

No just to people with ridiculous expectations. A team with the 6th highest budget should never be EXPECTED to finish 4th ahead of teams that spend hundreds of millions.

What if they had better players than two of those teams, possibly more?

2010/11 absolutely no chance did we have the 3rd/4th best team in the league, Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project with newly purchased Silva, Yaya Toure and Tevez all had better teams. After finishing 4th we spent less than £20m improving the squad.

2011/12 - Should have finished 3rd agreed, but 4th and an FA Cup semi final is still something most of us would have taken at the beginning of that season. Spent a total of £5m improving the squad, and people wondered why we underachieved!

I actually think we should have finished 4th in AVB's first season but to say it was 'below par' would be unfair to AVB.

2010/11 absolutely no chance did we have the 3rd/4th best team in the league, Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project with newly purchased Silva, Yaya Toure and Tevez all had better teams. After finishing 4th we spent less than £20m improving the squad.

2011/12 - Should have finished 3rd agreed, but 4th and an FA Cup semi final is still something most of us would have taken at the beginning of that season. Spent a total of £5m improving the squad, and people wondered why we underachieved!

I actually think we should have finished 4th in AVB's first season but to say it was 'below par' would be unfair to AVB.

We spent £100m last summer and look what happened. 8-[

Back