• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

I noticed a tweet earlier that said Kim Min Jae still needs to do his military service, which would affect his price/move. I'd forgotten about that.

On to Son, I must admit I haven’t read the interview. I just saw the headline that he said he was playing with an injury. We’ll probably never know how serious it was as it’s not uncommon for players to play through injuries. I think we’d all agree he was well below par last season but I’m willing to give him a pass as it was his first bad season arguably since the 2015/16 season.

Didn't he get his face kicked in (as in eye socket fractured)?!?!? My recollection is that his form dropped after that, but hey..........

I imagine Ange is salivating at the thought of Son in his team. Really don’t know how we’ll line up but if it’s the same as he’s done with other teams I can see Son doing very well. Ange will love his passion and energy, and we know he has the quality. Stay wide, spread the defence and allow the CMs to push up and become an attacking threat.
And cut inside, and....ping!!

Didn't he get his face kicked in (as in eye socket fractured)?!?!? My recollection is that his form dropped after that, but hey..........
It was a collision with a shoulder that fractured his eye socket. He was just as bad before that, it had nothing to do with his form.
It was a hernia that was causing the prob for the season. Stupid not getting the surgery done and get back close to 100% before playing.
There was plenty of cover for him for once as well.

I noticed a tweet earlier that said Kim Min Jae still needs to do his military service, which would affect his price/move. I'd forgotten about that.

He was in the squad for the Asian Games win that got Son his exemption, assumed he got it too?

That’s fair enough mate. Admittedly, I don’t read a lot of French media outlets.

But it seems like colonialism gets talked about a lot more now than it did 5-10 years ago. I’m certainly not proud of our colonialism, but at the same time I don’t personally feel shame or responsibility for it as I wasn’t around at the time. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to change it. Surely it is more important that we recognise now how wrong it was and that we do not practice it anymore? I’m not even overly patriotic, but it does get grating when people portray England as irredeemably racist and everyone in the country should hang their heads in shame because of our past. Colonialism was practiced all over the world and was a product of the world as it was at the time. I dare say most of us probably would have had slaves if we had lived in the 1700s as it was just the done thing. Not excusing, but it clearly wasn’t seen as a problem or immoral.

Fair enough mate. For the latter point, I agree, and I think it's a little amusing to be so self-flagellating about it for a simple reason - I've travelled and lived in a lot of places in my life so far, and most people I've met don't harbor any personal animosity to their former colonizers.

Take India - if you ask Indians about whether they're angry at modern Brits for their brutal subjugation by the historical British Empire, most would just laugh at you. Some folks will always be angry about it, and maybe rightfully so - but the vast majority of Indians bear no ill will to modern Brits, and tend to emphasize the cultural similarities (English, love of cricket, people-to-people ties and so on) over the scars of the past.

Don't get me wrong, no one should boast about the dark days of the past. And where needed, apologies should be made and reparations paid, amidst a solemn pledge to do better. Canada, for instance, is doing this (imperfectly) with the First Nations populations we conducted genocides against.

But equally, most Indians (by and large) aren't letting the past tarnish their view of Brits today, and they recognize that the Empire is not modern Britain. They, the victims, are moving on - imo, it's an opening to move on in turn and just leave the past where it is, since as you say, modern Brits had no say in what the Empire did centuries ago.

Fair enough mate. For the latter point, I agree, and I think it's a little amusing to be so self-flagellating about it for a simple reason - I've travelled and lived in a lot of places in my life so far, and most people I've met don't harbor any personal animosity to their former colonizers.

Take India - if you ask Indians about whether they're angry at modern Brits for their brutal subjugation by the historical British Empire, most would just laugh at you. Some folks will always be angry about it, and maybe rightfully so - but the vast majority of Indians bear no ill will to modern Brits, and tend to emphasize the cultural similarities (English, love of cricket, people-to-people ties and so on) over the scars of the past.

Don't get me wrong, no one should boast about the dark days of the past. And where needed, apologies should be made and reparations paid, amidst a solemn pledge to do better. Canada, for instance, is doing this (imperfectly) with the First Nations populations we conducted genocides against.

But equally, most Indians (by and large) aren't letting the past tarnish their view of Brits today, and they recognize that the Empire is not modern Britain. They, the victims, are moving on - imo, it's an opening to move on in turn and just leave the past where it is, since as you say, modern Brits had no say in what the Empire did centuries ago.

Seeing as 1,600,000 modern brits are of south asian descent it would be a bit weird. Would be like on of my cousins blaming me for the british imprisoning my grandfather in the 1920s.

Seeing as 1,600,000 modern brits are of south asian descent it would be a bit weird. Would be like on of my cousins blaming me for the british imprisoning my grandfather in the 1920s.

Oh, definitely! As I said with people to people ties - it helps that there are a lot of Brits of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi descent that folks on the subcontinent see, relate to and talk to. That is in turn because despite the rhetoric, the UK, as I understand it, is one of the most welcoming and tolerant countries in Europe.

Oh, definitely! As I said with people to people ties - it helps that there are a lot of Brits of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi descent that folks on the subcontinent see, relate to and talk to. That is in turn because despite the rhetoric, the UK, as I understand it, is one of the most welcoming and tolerant countries in Europe.

I have told the story before, but I lived in Wapping for two years when I had abit more dosh and just next to the Prospect of Whitby. Anyway if you ventured to Shadwell and then Whitechapel there is a HUGE Bangla community and loads of them love to be referred to as British its actually a sense of pride for him. Similar to the large Sikh community here, famously there was the group of humanitarian biker Sikhs in Kent who were doing great local work and they actually made the statement about it when someone tried to twist it that they were victims of racial abuse.

I have told the story before, but I lived in Wapping for two years when I had abit more dosh and just next to the Prospect of Whitby. Anyway if you ventured to Shadwell and then Whitechapel there is a HUGE Bangla community and loads of them love to be referred to as British its actually a sense of pride for him. Similar to the large Sikh community here, famously there was the group of humanitarian biker Sikhs in Kent who were doing great local work and they actually made the statement about it when someone tried to twist it that they were victims of racial abuse.
We have the Sikhs in Bedford doing a lot of homeless welfare and food
Khalsa aid I think they call it and it’s part of a bigger organisation
Top guys and gals

Most of the time
Our tolerance is high when it suits
That’s what bugs me
I have had several arguments with racist acquaintances who on one hand will complain about the immigrants and then order an Amazon delivery or a curry… forgetting conveniently they are made or delivered by those people

Most of the time
Our tolerance is high when it suits
That’s what bugs me
I have had several arguments with racist acquaintances who on one hand will complain about the immigrants and then order an Amazon delivery or a curry… forgetting conveniently they are made or delivered by those people

Why is it delivered by those people?

The deliveries are normally made by people who are minimum wage former immigrants
It’s double standards
They want the convenience hut not the people who give them the convenience they

Because it's cheaper for their employers? It keeps the costs down. They can get away with giving them zero hour contracts, not pay minimum wage, give them holdiday pay, sick pay etc... but not all delivery drivers are foreign born. Many are born in this country. Yet they see cheap immigrant labour as being a major reason they don't get better working standards. Which can make them angry and to an extent racist.

Anyway we've all been over this before it gets us nowhere. Back to son.

Because it's cheaper for their employers? It keeps the costs down. They can get away with giving them zero hour contracts, not pay minimum wage, give them holdiday pay, sick pay etc... but not all delivery drivers are foreign born. Many are born in this country. Yet they see cheap immigrant labour as being a major reason they don't get better working standards. Which can make them angry and to an extent racist.

Anyway we've all been over this before it gets us nowhere. Back to son.
Agreed

Back